Manly stuff

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
In this week's issue, apart from Adam Lucius' piece on Zorba disagreeing with Des about Harper (see the thread 'OK Harper - last chance'), there was the following small snippet:

"Lifelong Support
Gone are the days of plain old birth certificates, with hundreds of Manly Sea Eagles fans opting for a commemorative NRL birth certificate for their newborn. Since they were launched in 2016 by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, 749 babies have received one with Sea Eagles branding. Bulldogs are the most popular, with 1509 certificates."

I've never heard of them but they sound good to me. The Bulldogs must be a productive lot..

This week's issue of Inside Back by Adam Lucius includes the following. It's after the event but still posting it in case anyone's interested.

"Heal against the Eels
Expect a strong response from the Sea Eagles against Parramatta at CommBank Stadium on Friday night following the side's abysmal not-so Magic Round performance against the Broncos.
Our spies in Brisbane tell us coach Des Hasler kept his cool immediately after the game but unloaded back at the team hotel, spelling out in no uncertain terms the team's weak spots and demanding a lift in intensity and commitment across the board. Few players were spared in the inquisition, with their pride in the jumper repeatedly questioned. Changes will be made if there is not a massive improvement.
Manly's inability to match it with teams above it on the table has been a problem for two years. The bad news is there are eight sides ahead of the Sea Eagles, including their next two opponents, the Eels and Storm.
Young centre Ben Trbojevic may miss some football unless he can play through a painful AC injury, while brother Tom will carry on despite being strapped up like a Harold Park trotter against Brisbane. Hasler insists Turbo is fit to play but the fullback is clearly not operating at 100 percent since returning from a knee injury a fortnight ago. The Manly No. 1 lit up the NRL last year but is a shadow of that player right now."

A snippet by Adam Lucius in this week's Northern Beaches Review:

"Hair raising change
We're not sure if it's the prospect of a new boss arriving at the club but Des Hasler's long mane was cut to a manageable length and the tie done up to full mast for last Saturday's win over the Warriors.
We checked with incoming CEO Tony Mestrov to see if he'd ordered a makeover for the coach.
"Can you imagine me walking in there on my first day saying 'Des, I need you to get a haircut or a new tie or a new shirt'," Mestrov laughed.
"Des is Des. I'm comfortable with that. He's not about to change and I'm not going to try to change him."

:giggle:...maybe Des's haircut's a lucky omen and has turned our season around 🤞

A snippet by Adam Lucius in this week's Northern Beaches Review:

"Hair raising change
We're not sure if it's the prospect of a new boss arriving at the club but Des Hasler's long mane was cut to a manageable length and the tie done up to full mast for last Saturday's win over the Warriors.
We checked with incoming CEO Tony Mestrov to see if he'd ordered a makeover for the coach.
"Can you imagine me walking in there on my first day saying 'Des, I need you to get a haircut or a new tie or a new shirt'," Mestrov laughed.
"Des is Des. I'm comfortable with that. He's not about to change and I'm not going to try to change him."

:giggle:...maybe Des's haircut's a lucky omen and has turned our season around 🤞

Beautifully typed I might add! :)

I hope Mestrov allows Hasler to wear an open-necked or polo shirt (and hoodie if needed), in future. Like every other coach out there.

Why is he forced to wear a collar and tie on game day? It’s not 1977.

I hope Mestrov allows Hasler to wear an open-necked or polo shirt (and hoodie if needed), in future. Like every other coach out there.

Why is he forced to wear a collar and tie on game day? It’s not 1977.

I remember when he first became Manly coach and he turned up to his first presser with t shirt and loose short shorts. He looked like the greenkeeper
Hilarious 😂

After that he was pretty well dressed after no doubt being told off by Bozo.

Following this thread's theme (coincidentally started exactly one year ago), I thought this may interest some Silvertails. It's an article in the latest local Pittwater Life magazine written by Greg McHugh. (Being another wet day I can't work, so I'll type it as I'm unable to provide a link.)

Watch the Sea Eagles soar in 2024!

The Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles are The Greatest Rugby League Team In The Universe. Statistics do not lie.
The Sea Eagles have won eight Premierships since claiming their first title in 1972 - no other team even comes close in that time.
Manly is the only team to be crowned Premiers in every decade from the 1970s. In 2024, the Sea Eagles faithful will be dreaming of this streak continuing and another title heading to the Northern Beaches.
The quest for Premiership No. 9 begins in Las Vegas on March 3 in the opening match of the NRL season against the South Sydney Rabbitohs. Naturally, The Greatest Team In The Universe has been chosen to showcase rugby league to the US masses.
Daly Cherry-Evans was in scintillating form last year and with the Trbojevic brothers, Jake and Tom, fit and ready to go, will be the backbone of a Manly outfit that will be expected to reach the Finals. New recruit Luke Brooks will be a vital extra playmaker with the ability to unleash the barnstorming Haumole Olakau'atu and the quicksilver Reuben Garrick.
It's a season to be hopeful, even confident. Consistently high performance across the squad will be needed. Coach Anthony Seibold will be demanding it.
Happily, even if dreams turn to nightmares during the cold winter months, Manly fans can still warm their hearts and take comfort by remembering all eight glorious Premierships and a couple of stand-out Sea Eagles legends from each winning team (my personal picks).

1972 - Manly 19 def Easts 14
Fred Jones - first Premiership captain and hooker in the long gone days when real contested scrums existed and John O'Neill - a hard man front-rower recruited from Souths, one of many astute buys by Manly supremo Ken Arthurson.
1973 - Manly 10 def Cronulla 7
Bob Fulton - Immortal, scored both Manly tries in this brutal Grand Final, brilliant centre and five-eighth and Malcolm Reilly - tough, uncompromising English lock, you wanted him on your team.
1976 - Manly 13 def Parramatta 10
Max Krilich - crafty and skilful hooker and one club man, Australian captain, Harbord United junior and Phil Lowe - rangy, free-running back-rower with ball skills, another Englishman (and no he did not become Governor of the Reserve Bank).
1978 - Manly 11 d Cronulla 11, Manly 16 def Cronulla 0 (Grand Final Replay)
Graham Eadie and Terry Randall - each 4-time Premiership winners, Eadie a rampaging running fullback and toe poke goal kicker and Randall a devastating tackler, block of granite forward and North Curl Curl junior.
1987 - Manly 18 def Canberra 8
Cliff Lyons - THE MAGICIAN, ball-playing mastermind at five-eighth and Michael O'Connor - side-stepping, goal kicking centre, dual International (Publisher's note: poached from St George Dragons).
1996 - Manly 20 def St George 8
Geoff Toovey - Manly captain, fearless defender, zippy halfback and hooker, Belrose Eagles junior and Steve Menzies - try scoring wizard, his on-field partnership with Cliff Lyons was telepathic, Harbord United junior.
2008 - Manly 40 def Melbourne 0 (Manly defeat an entire city)
Brett Stewart - electric, elusive fullback and Brookvale Oval entertainer and Steve Matai - opposition centres feared his crunching tackles, powerful with the ball.
2011 - Manly 24 def New Zealand 10 (Manly defeat an entire country)
Kieran Foran - formed dream halves combination with DCE, still running hard and giving 100 percent and Anthony Watmough - mercurial backrower, something always happened when the football came his way, Narrabeen Sharks junior.

One gets the feeling the author just might be a Manly supporter, lol, and good on him. At the end he asks, "what was Manly's best Premiership win?" and my answer would be "take your pick". They all had their merits - '72, '87, '08 are right up there for me but I can't pick one for the 'best'.

(Yes, the article could be waving a red flag to Bozo but there could be many interested 'out-of-towners' who may otherwise not see this.)

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6