No home finals at suburban grounds ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
I am sure I heard before the season kicked off that Sydney clubs would not be allowed to play home finals on their suburban grounds and would have to play at SFS,SCG,Olympic Park or Parra Stadium. Can anyone confirm this it would be huge blow if we had to play another Sydney team in the first week at a neutral venue or even a venue more suited to the opposition especially if we finish 1 or 2.

Not sure if parra stadium is included. I just know there won't be a finals match at Brookie. I doubt Melbourne will have to play at Olympic park. Surely they will be able to use AAMI. I actually think its better. It never felt like a finals match at Brookie. The 07 final against the cowboys at the SFS and 08 against the warriors at the SFS had fantastic atmosphere. Real finals footy atmosphere. In any case, if you are a top 4 team you should be good enough to win anywhere.

It will end up different rules for different clubs, Broncos for example should have to play at the gold coast, I reckon the Sfs would be the best place for us to play the 1st semi

Berkeley_Eagle said:
It will end up different rules for different clubs, Broncos for example should have to play at the gold coast, I reckon the Sfs would be the best place for us to play the 1st semi

I'm happy for Brisbane to play at Suncorp. If the dogs or rabbits made the grand final they would be playing it at their home ground. I don't think the home ground advantage works as well for teams in the modern stadiums as it does at suburban venues like Brookie and leichhardt.

SYDNEY-based NRL teams will have to host their opening finals games at either the Sydney Football Stadium or ANZ Stadium from next season.

In a decision which brings the opening week of the post-season into line with the semi-finals in week two, finals will no longer be played at Sydney's suburban grounds.

It was agreed on the final day of the NRL's annual conference at Byron Bay, with club bosses supporting the move for fixed venues for finals matches.

The issue came to a head in 2009 when minor premiers St George Illawarra opted to host their opening finals game against Parramatta at WIN Jubilee Stadium, with thousands of fans deprived the opportunity to purchase tickets to the game because of the smaller ground capacity.

Bummer, So glad I was able to make it to a Sea Eagles v Dragons finals game @ Brookie a couple of years ago.

Yea it's such a bad call, the reward for finishing top 4 is a home final and now it's gone. The only real spots that are worth anything now are 1st and 2nd.

Jonesyv2 said:
Yea it's such a bad call, the reward for finishing top 4 is a home final and now it's gone. The only real spots that are worth anything now are 1st and 2nd.

Agreed, massive shame that we won't see anymore finals at Brookie.

The Dragons & Souths finals at Brookie were fantastic & the place was buzzing on both occassions.

Jonesyv2 said:

Agreed, massive shame that we won't see anymore finals at Brookie.

The Dragons & Souths finals at Brookie were fantastic & the place was buzzing on both occassions.

Jonesyv2 said:

The truth is this is only a ruling against Sydney based teams. All out of Sydney teams will still get to play at their home ground. It's a ridiculous decision.

To be fair should newcastle then get to play at their home ground as well as the dragqueens (because they would choose Wollongong which is outside of Sydney). Do the cowgirls get to play at their home ground? It should be all the main stadium in each state for everyone not just some.

ads said:
This does suck - the final against Souths at Brookie in 08 was freaking awesome. :)

It was, but the cowboys finals match in 07 and the warriors in 08 were much better mainly because of the better atmosphere. They felt more like finals matches to me. As much as I love the place , it just doesn't feel like a finals match at Brookie.

ads said:
This does suck - the final against Souths at Brookie in 08 was freaking awesome. :)

Sorry to nit-pick but in '08 we played the Dragqueens at Brookie in the first semi.
Souths were in 2007!!! Both were great smash-ups though. haha

The unfortunate part of it is the fact that only Manly, Parra, Penrith and Cronulla (of which only Manly are a chance of playing finals footy, probably for many years) will be forced to play at a stadium that is not a home ground. St Merge can play in Wollongong, Souths, Tigpies, Rorters and Dogs all play out of these stadiums as home grounds. All other clubs get home grounds. Why implement a rule that affects only 4 out of 16 clubs?

firechild said:
The unfortunate part of it is the fact that only Manly, Parra, Penrith and Cronulla (of which only Manly are a chance of playing finals footy, probably for many years) will be forced to play at a stadium that is not a home ground. St Merge can play in Wollongong, Souths, Tigpies, Rorters and Dogs all play out of these stadiums as home grounds. All other clubs get home grounds. Why implement a rule that affects only 4 out of 16 clubs?

Are the Tigpies still using SFS?
I thought they were just Leichhardt & C'town this year.

I doubt that Saints would be allowed to use Wobblygong, they'd be ruled as a Sydney team.

It still sucks. They bring it in as a reward for a couple of years & then take it away again.

Duff said:
firechild said:

Are the Tigpies still using SFS?
I thought they were just Leichhardt & C'town this year.

I doubt that Saints would be allowed to use Wobblygong, they'd be ruled as a Sydney team.

It still sucks. They bring it in as a reward for a couple of years & then take it away again.

Yeah the Westies are still using the SFS IIRC, same arrangement as in previous years with how much they use their suburban grounds (IMO they should just use Leichardt for every game).

I'm with you on Illawarra, if the NRL is serious there is no way they'd let them take a finals game to the Gong, can't see that happening at all.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4