News: Watmough's Last chance saloon?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
DES HASLER'S spray at Anthony Watmough should be the wake-up call that finally tells the Manly star he needs to start behaving like a normal human being and not a rock star.
It's my understanding that Hasler had a lengthy meeting with Watmough's manager, George Mimis, on Wednesday night in which Mimis said the player was ready to change his ways. Watmough is to try to develop interests outside of football – something he has been lacking.

Read the full article

This is a big problem in the game now, too much time, too much money and way too much stardom....a lot of them have Ego's as big as Mount Everest and Choc is one of those. As a player, when he's on song there's nothing better to watch but let's face it he hasn't been on song for a fair while now. There's no doubt he has an alcohol problem (as many of them do), this "may" be the catalyst for change....if it's not I fear Anthoney's playing days may be over.

The problem is that these players don't realise how lucky they are.

The club and NRL should arrange for players from all clubs to visit hospitals to see children with cancer and people dying from smoking and excess alcohol and places like sunnyfield to see the less fortunate people in our society.

I remember our high school in the seventies took a bus load of us to RNSH to see the oncology ward and see all the smokers dying form lung cancer and without lips and tounges because of cancer. Not too many people from that year continued smoking after that.

I'd like to see Watmough at the Eagles for a while yet but he is not bigger than the club so if he keeps playing up, wether he is performing or not then its out the door and forgotmough from then on.

if it's not I fear Anthoney's playing days may be over.
[/quote]

LOl, please. abit melodramatic you think[/b]

c eagle said:

[/quote]

Not really who would take him in Australia...might get a gig in the UK but he'd be on the nose with the other 15 clubs I feel so no NOT melodramatic at all.

I don't know what games you blokes watch, but for the last two seasons he has been a liability on the field as well as off it. His hands are atrocious and he gives away penalties at the most inopportune moments. No coincidence that there were long periods of the game last night without brainless penalties.

Yeah, we can't let him go. Clubs would tear each other apart to get him. The same ones that clambered for Carney & Bird.
We can't be in the business of strengthening other teams rosters at the expense of our own. Canberra & Sharks made the mistake & all they've done is help the Chooks & Tits. Screw that. We have to learn from their mistakes.

If we sack him for off field behavior I'm tipping the nrl will de register him. Having said that I hope he can sort things out he is one of our best players.

Duff said:
Yeah, we can't let him go. Clubs would tear each other apart to get him. The same ones that clambered for Carney & Bird.
We can't be in the business of strengthening other teams rosters at the expense of our own. Canberra & Sharks made the mistake & all they've done is help the Chooks & Tits. Screw that. We have to learn from their mistakes.

I can see your point but there are different ways to look at it. Carney needed a fresh start away from Canberra and Bird was sacked for too many indescretions. Josh Perry could probably join that group as well. All these players were not wanted by their clubs but have gone on to success at the next. Carney has fallen back into old habits as did Perry... and Bird for the time being at least is behaving himself.

Watmough is at the tipping point where he's become a bad influence on the players around him and his value (or potential value!) on the field is the only thing keeping him around. If he was sacked I'm sure he'd be snapped up by someone and he'd probably be very good for a period. However like Carney, the bad habits would likely return after not very long.

The best we can hope for is he settles down and regains that 2008-9 form asap. I hope Des & Crusher can scare some sense into him but I'm not confident.

Instead of sacking him stand him down for a month or even 2 months. Fine him his contract fee for that period and when he comes back he is on his last chance. Surely that would be a bigger wake up call than sacking him and he just gets snapped up elsewhere for just as big a contract. He would learn nothing and just smirk at the supposed penalty which would only really penalise Manly and the time effort and money that has been poured into developing him.

mickqld said:
Instead of sacking him stand him down for a month or even 2 months. Fine him his contract fee for that period and when he comes back he is on his last chance.

I suspect that most potent motivating factor for Choc would be watching someone else play in his spot. Maximum 4 weeks though.

Mark from Brisbane said:
c eagle said:

Not really who would take him in Australia...might get a gig in the UK but he'd be on the nose with the other 15 clubs I feel so no NOT melodramatic at all.
[/quote]

Melbourne. From memory Bellyache's a Choc fan.

The Northern Hemisphere Clubs are now trying to bring through there own players with the odd Antipodean playing for them (Hull KR being a massive exception here)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7