News: Union steps into Stewart conflict

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>THE players union has offered to intervene in the ugly stoush between Manly and the NRL by facilitating a meeting between Sea Eagles fullback Brett Stewart and chief executive David Gallop.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5413-union-steps-into-stewart-conflict.html">Read the full article</a>

Hope you change the title there a little, say "Players Union steps into Stewart Conflict" instead, kinda gave me a scare coz I thought Rugby Union was about to intervene and offer Stewart a contract, hehe. Still interesting news.

It's a great idea. I hope both parties agree to this. Then the issue may be able to be laid to rest in a more respectful manner.

So why has it taken until now for them to get involved????? Surely they should have been there since the beginning of the saga for Brett!

The very interesting thing about this article isn't to do with Brett but the fact that the Tigers and Roosters have been able to secure sponsors and yet Manly hasn't been able to find anyone.

How have they managed to do this when Manly couldn't find anyone?

Goldie link said:
So why has it taken until now for them to get involved????? Surely they should have been there since the beginning of the saga for Brett!

I think they did argue that Stewart should not have been suspended at the time but nobody listened to them...

MadMarcus link said:
[quote author=Goldie link=topic=186753.msg321438#msg321438 date=1299707952]

I think they did argue that Stewart should not have been suspended at the time but nobody listened to them...
[/quote]

This but they aren't a very strong Union like the NFLPA etc.

Gallop did not meet with Brett at the time of the incident.

Gallop failed to offer to meet with Brett during the period of the trial.

Gallop failed to offer to meet with Brett upon the news he was found not guilty.

Gallop has failed to offer to meet with Brett since then.

It will say something very important about gallop & this whole issue if he declines the player associations offer.

MadMarcus link said:
[quote author=Goldie link=topic=186753.msg321438#msg321438 date=1299707952]

[/quote]
I remember there was a late night hook up between the Gallop/NRL and the club. Apparently there was a heated exchange. The club wanted to play Stewart but Gallop came out the next day and suspended him and fined the club.

Don't know if the players union were involved.

Players' association condemns NRL over suspension of Brett Stewart

THE Rugby League Players' Association has condemned the NRL's move to stand down Manly star Brett Stewart from playing football until round five.

Stewart was on Tuesday charged with the sexual assault of a 17-year-old female at North Manly following a boozy club season launch.

The NRL today announced they had banned Stewart from playing rugby league until round five, after his assault charge is heard in court on April 7.

The RLPA supports Stewart's right to continue playing football while his criminal proceedings are going through the courts.

"The Rugby League Players Association's position has always been to support the rights of its members and as a general rule, a player should not be stood down from playing and fulfilling his contractual commitments to his club because he has been charged with a criminal offence particularly where the player has indicated that he will defend the charge," RLPA managing director Matt Rodwell in a statement.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
"A player like any other person in the community is entitled to the presumption of innocence, the basis of the judicial system in Australia."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/rlpa-condemns-stewart-suspension/story-e6frg7mo-1111119098681

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2