NEWS: Tribute to 1996 Premiers at Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Tribute to 1996 Premiers at Brookie
Fri 29th July, 03:54PM

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles will pay tribute to the Club’s 1996 first grade premiership win at Brookvale Oval this Sunday.

As part of the Golden Eagles Day celebrations in the Club's 70th Anniversary year, the Sea Eagles will show video footage of Manly’s 1976 Grand Final win (13-10 over Parramatta), and the 1996 Grand Final win (20-8 over St George) prior to the main game between Manly and Newcastle at 4pm.

I was at both of those games and for obvious reasons remember much more of 96 than 76 ( old age setting in).

Remember the Matthew Ridge controversial try (96), St George thought he'd been tackled but he got up,ran through, and scored the try under the posts to take the game away from them!!

Well at least I think that's what happened , by that stage I'd had about 20 beers.

So 76 and 96 hmmm.. Are 72 73 78 87 08 and 11 "chopped liver" over here?

Last edited:
I was at both of those games and for obvious reasons remember much more of 96 than 76 ( old age setting in).

Remember the Matthew Ridge controversial try (96), St George thought he'd been tackled but he got up,ran through, and scored the try under the posts to take the game away from them!!

Well at least I think that's what happened , by that stage I'd had about 20 beers.
Yep that's what happened Mark. And the Saints fans bellyaching about it as if they were a chance anyway. Hahaha

Fair Dinkum, I'm in awe of some of you blokes memories. I've watched Manly since the days of Freddie Jones and Alec Tennant and I'll be buggered if I can remember a quarter of the stuff you guys refer too.

I remember being at that game, I was sitting in the north west corner, pretty much adjacent the st george fans, at some point in the second half manly were winding down the clock, Mathew Ridge had a drop out, he picked up the ball behind the goal line, turned to the St George supporters and gave them a sneaky F U with his middle finger under the ball, not as many camera's back then and never spoken of... absolute GOLD.

Fair Dinkum, I'm in awe of some of you blokes memories. I've watched Manly since the days of Freddie Jones and Alec Tennant and I'll be buggered if I can remember a quarter of the stuff you guys refer too.

I just wish I could remember more of the 73/76 games.

73 I was on the hill and couldn't see a thing, just cheered when the others did.

76 I went with a few mates , we had about a dozen schooners at the Bat & Ball, and probably another 6-8 at the game, remember bugger all.

By 82 I was married, a father and sat in the Sheridan Stand totally sober, so remember everything, ditto in 83.

In 87, I was in what was called Deluxe Brewongle seats, with my off sider from work , also a Manly fan, remember everything.

Yep those were the days.

Last edited:

Beaver scored the try next tackle on the back of the momentum Ridge created.
Did his hammy in the process and missed the rest of the game by memory.

The 95 to 97 team was truly one of the greatest of all time, and would have gone toe to toe with the best of any era. A great mix of young and experienced, could score from anywhere, but without a doubt the best what put them apart from the rest was their defence - it was virtually impossible to score against them.

And 1995 was daylight robbery by Eddie Ward same as 2013 Shame Hayne

The famous 7th tackle try, how could you forget it!!

Funny story, that was scored by Matthew Ryan who happened to be a Moree boy who I knew really well.

He retired from the NRL a few years later and came back to play for the Moree Boars for 2-3 years, and I said to him at the footy once "did you know it was a 7th tackle", he said "sure, I looked up, your guys had given up and Eddie was waving for the last so I just dived over, but I knew I got lucky, very lucky".

I was on Craig Innes for first try and nearly fell over the rail at the Paddo end grandstand...went to the private function that night and at one stage had a young Beaver in the headlock lol big night. Spoke a bit to Dessie that night too, he was so quiet

I was on Craig Innes for first try and nearly fell over the rail at the Paddo end grandstand...went to the private function that night and at one stage had a young Beaver in the headlock lol big night. Spoke a bit to Dessie that night too, he was so quiet

By rights we really should have won all 3, 95-97, but that's footy isn't it, the swings and roundabouts.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4