News: Thurston demands ambassadors fee from NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>COWBOYS halfback Johnathan Thurston has launched a $40,000 ransom demand on the NRL, insisting he should be paid an annual ambassadors fee to keep him in the code.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4579-thurston-demands-ambassadors-fee-from-nrl.html">Read the full article</a>

Who the fcuk does he think he is? JT just piss off to union or afl you greedy grub.

I guess if the NRL are going to use these players for extra promotional work then they have an argument for getting some cash for it.  If you are being promoted as the face of league, then as a 'model' you should be getting paid for the image of your self.  I can't stand Thurston, but I can see his point. 

Does Stewy get $40k for his brief stint as the face of the game? Maybe JT could earn extra cash by doing ads for Redbull and Stillnox.

Although it wouldn't surprise me by what he has allegedly asked, but it's all hearsay at the moment as Gallop has not been approached by either Thurston or his manager.

DSM5 link said:
I guess if the NRL are going to use these players for extra promotional work then they have an argument for getting some cash for it.  If you are being promoted as the face of league, then as a 'model' you should be getting paid for the image of your self.  I can't stand Thurston, but I can see his point. 

DSM, I really can't see why he should be paid any extra cash from the NRL for using his image.  As Gallop has stated in the article (and that Thurston would be fully aware of), it is a requirement in all players' contracts that their image can be used for the general promotion of the game and also that the leading players in the game tend to have a high profile, which is part of the remuneration they receive for playing football. 

Just where would his status be without the exposure that he has received from the NRL?  Does he think that he would have had the deals with Asics, Madison, and Skins?  I think not.

It's quite simple really as far as I can see.  If he doesn't want to have his image used to promote the game then he doesn't sign a contract or play in the NRL.  If he doesn't like it the way that it is then bye-bye Thurston.  See you.  Don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out.  That would be one less (allegedly) greedy player sucking excessive funds out of the game in my opinion.

The issue of royalties for using a particular player's image in promoting the NRL has been a longstanding one. In the instance of Brett Stewart or Greg Inglis last year (as the Faces of the Game) or the repeated use of Thurston to promote the game in general or perhaps Sate of Origin then I have no problem with an entitlement to royalties.

Their income is derived primarily by market forces determining a player's value in the context of their worth to a team. Some part of that would be as a gate-taking drawcard but I doubt it has a big influence. They can pick up some extra income from endorsements under third party agreements.

But I believe they miss out out on potential earnings when their images can be used in almost any way by clubs and the NRL, and some form of payment seems justified to me.

The are effectively employed by their respective clubs not the NRL, if the NRL want to use them as the "face of the game" which in turn creates more responsibility on the player they should be compensated.  If I was offered a role within my current job which encompassed more responsibility on my behalf I would not do it for free. 

so do silvertails owe him money now too for the image below

[img=400x266]http://images.2dayfm.com.au/2008/05/01/14571/600x400_nrl_johnathan_thurston-600x400.jpg[/img]

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:

[img=400x266]http://images.2dayfm.com.au/2008/05/01/14571/600x400_nrl_johnathan_thurston-600x400.jpg[/img]
Body and face have been photo-shopped. Hand covering up tiny appendage.

The 'restraint of trade' is probably worth a look at by his accountant/solicitor.  The NRL seem to operate as a slave trade operator.  Sign here and you sign your rights away, or you don't work in this industry.  The player's contracts are in a very greyy area imo and could probably be rolled over by a serious challenge.  Not that I like the guy. 

Okay. If everybody seems to think that he and everybody else are owed money for the NRL using their images then where does the money get taken from to pay them?  Do they reduce funding to the grassroots of the game, reduce salary cap funding to the Clubs, reduce funding for grants ? ? ?  Where ? ? ?  You tell me.  There is only so much funding to spend and so many other more worthwhile places to spend it on before they should even think about giving them any more money for using their images that they agreed to be allowed to use when they sign a contract.

In my opinion, even though the NRL have not given Thurston a monetary payment, they have actually increased his worth by using his image.  Like I said before, just where would his status be without the exposure that he has received from the NRL?  Does he think that he would have had the deals with Asics, Madison, and Skins?  I think not.

Also in my opinion the majority are paid way over their worth anyway and all thanks to Rupert, News Ltd and his Super League.

Drop the salary cap and the NRL grant to clubs by $1,000,000 and then have the NRL pay every player in the top 25 for each team $40,000 an ambassador fee that covers any marketing they may be used for.
If you dont like it Thurston, be a big man dont sign you contract. 

Jethro, it's the chicken and egg argument.  Does the NRL use Thurston because he's so good, and thus up his costs, or is Thurston so good that his talents increase the appeal of the NRL?  Can't have it both ways.  I'd say that if the NRL are going to hype poster boys, then pay them for the use of their image.  If not, then promote the game as a team sport and lay the payment around to the many.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:

Oh My God! Did anyone else throw up a little bit when they saw this?

Wasn't Snake treated more harshly by Gallop last year because he was one of the faces of the game and it cost them 1.5 mill to chop him out of their adds. So if Brett had not been in trouble would he have been rewarded financially for being a "face" of the game.

I think it is only fair to pay them for publicity if you are going to punish them for bad publicity.

So DSM, who defines which players are poster boys. The top players pick themselves but who decide when it gets closer to the "cut off". That is why these sort of ideas, while easy to throw around, are all but impossible to put into practice.

Bradza, I'm not one for promoting the game through the 'poster boy' stuff.  I'd like to see the game promoted through the 'team game' style.  The use of 'poster boys' begs the problem that those chosen will pee in the bushes or do something else of an inappropriate nature, thus destroying the 'boy' along with the message.  Gallop seems to be in love with the current promotional style and if he's going down that track then those chosen should be compensated, just like top models imo. 

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2