News: Storm to deny rival clubs $8m

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>THE Australian Rugby League last night delivered a blunt message to NRL clubs expecting an immediate cash windfall from the independent commission: it won't happen.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5358-storm-to-deny-rival-clubs-8m.html">Read the full article</a>

If it were any club other than a news ltd club they'll let it fold. Kick them out of the comp, they've cheated and rorted yet the NRL(News ltd) keep bailing them out.

Well if we are going to have an AFL executive run our game thats what we should expect. LOL @ the journalism !

"Everyone has got this view that News will go and there will be all this money drop out of the sky overnight because there's an independent commission -- it won't, AFL chief executive Geoff Carr said yesterday"

The thing that stinks to high heaven is that this requirement for other clubs to feed $8m each year to the Storm is a NEWS LTD demand - the owners of the Storm.  If it was an independent decision to grow the game in Melbourne and bear the costs of that expansion, then that is one thing, but in reality this is a News Ltd demand for all clubs to pay News Ltd $8m each year before they will leave the game. 

That, of course, is in addition to all of their other demands.

Rapists deserve scorn.

I'm not against helping the Storm stay alive as Melbourne was never a short term expansion, it was always designed long term knowing it could take 20 odd years to become strong in the AFL heartland. My problem is this is just another way for News to f**k league for another 5 years.

News get 8 million from NRL but spend 5 or 6 million a year on Storm = 2 to 3 million profit.

Now, Storm get 8 million from NRL, News spend nothing = 5 to 6 million profit (through non expense) at leagues expense.

Shane link said:
News has been keeping them afloat
With news completely gone,they are dead in the water

News still owns Storm and part of the Broncos. They are just giving up their control of NRL. News will stay involved in the Storm for at least 4 more years, part of the deal to get AAMI Park built was a signed assurance to the Victorian Govt that News Ltd would be behind the team for 5 years. Now News have managed to do it without spending a cent.

Also as a side note after the salary cap scandal when News bosses came out and said "We will stay behind the Melbourne Storm", it wasn't cause they wanted to, its cause that had already signed the agreement with the Vic govt and didn't have a choice.

So basically the storm are going to get all this money so the NRL can keep fighting a losing battle against the AFL dominance in melbourne and nationally?

I dunno, it just seems stupid to me.
NSW and QLD are the only states that truly give a toss about league. We're NEVER going to match the AFL on a national scale. And i think we're stupid for even trying.
I know we need national identity to attract big dollars etc etc etc But that 8 mil would be better spent in sydney in my opinion trying to get the popularity of the game back here to what it was 20 years ago. Whether it be by the NRL subsidising memberships to help bring the cost down so more people sign on. Or focusing on grass roots level to stop the afl and soccer take over.
I dunno. It just ****s me.

Theres more important clubs than melbourne that need financial help at the moment. And losing some of these clubs would do more to hurt the game than the loss of melbourne.

Pablo link said:
So basically the storm are going to get all this money so the NRL can keep fighting a losing battle against the AFL dominance in melbourne and nationally?

I dunno, it just seems stupid to me.
NSW and QLD are the only states that truly give a toss about league. We're NEVER going to match the AFL on a national scale. And i think we're stupid for even trying.
I know we need national identity to attract big dollars etc etc etc But that 8 mil would be better spent in sydney in my opinion trying to get the popularity of the game back here to what it was 20 years ago. Whether it be by the NRL subsidising memberships to help bring the cost down so more people sign on. Or focusing on grass roots level to stop the afl and soccer take over.
I dunno. It just s**ts me.

Theres more important clubs than melbourne that need financial help at the moment. And losing some of these clubs would do more to hurt the game than the loss of melbourne.

Disagree entirely. As much as I hate them letting the Storm fold would set the game back 20 years. We could stand to lose a few sydney teams without doing to much harm.

Shane link said:
Yep.  Yet News Ltd have the power to change all that if they decided to.  They could easily actively and highly promote the Storm and Rugby League through their newspapers throughout Melbourne and Victoria.  And that is quite apart from their influence over commercial TV stations and Foxtel through their joint interests.  

Imagine News Ltd using their influence to cause Rugby League to be shown in Melbourne during peak TV hours and regularly on the backpage of the Melbourne papers.  If they started doing things like that, then they would be adding real value rather than simply being an unwanted parasite for the code.

I support the Storm being in Melbourne, just like I'll support a Perth team.  It's not about the club, it's about the paucity of TV and press coverage down there.  I agree with Rex, the NRL should hold News Ltd and CH9 to account rather than just rolling over and getting ****ed by them both.  It's time Gallop grew a spine.  And yes, Sydney has two or three to many teams. 

DSM5 link said:
I support the Storm being in Melbourne, just like I'll support a Perth team.  It's not about the club, it's about the paucity of TV and press coverage down there.  I agree with Rex, the NRL should hold News Ltd and CH9 to account rather than just rolling over and getting f**ked by them both.  It's time Gallop grew a spine.  And yes, Sydney has two or three to many teams. 
It always makes me laugh when people say that Sydney has to many teams and it's usually people from Ipswich.
I usually turn around and say "so Ipswich is part of Brisbane right?"
They go "No, it is it's own city in it's on right"

And then I explain this to them "Under City Council guide lines Sydney only has 2 teams(Easts and Souths). The other teams fall under there own City Councils and St George Illawarra are classified as a regional team."

Rex link said:
[quote author=Shane link=topic=186453.msg315661#msg315661 date=1297656903]
Yep.  Yet News Ltd have the power to change all that if they decided to.  They could easily actively and highly promote the Storm and Rugby League through their newspapers throughout Melbourne and Victoria.  And that is quite apart from their influence over commercial TV stations and Foxtel through their joint interests. 

Imagine News Ltd using their influence to cause Rugby League to be shown in Melbourne during peak TV hours and regularly on the backpage of the Melbourne papers.  If they started doing things like that, then they would be adding real value rather than simply being an unwanted parasite for the code.
[/quote]

The reality is that News Limited already do just that. Melbourne games are telecast in prime time on Foxtel. It's fair to say that more Newspaper coverage would help, but there is already quite a bit there, but more does need to be done.

The real culprit in Melbourne is Channel 9 who have treated Rugby League shabbily for years.

Ralphie link said:
[quote author=Rex link=topic=186453.msg315783#msg315783 date=1297715082]
[quote author=Shane link=topic=186453.msg315661#msg315661 date=1297656903]
Yep.  Yet News Ltd have the power to change all that if they decided to.  They could easily actively and highly promote the Storm and Rugby League through their newspapers throughout Melbourne and Victoria.  And that is quite apart from their influence over commercial TV stations and Foxtel through their joint interests. 

Imagine News Ltd using their influence to cause Rugby League to be shown in Melbourne during peak TV hours and regularly on the backpage of the Melbourne papers.  If they started doing things like that, then they would be adding real value rather than simply being an unwanted parasite for the code.
[/quote]

The reality is that News Limited already do just that. Melbourne games are telecast in prime time on Foxtel. It's fair to say that more Newspaper coverage would help, but there is already quite a bit there, but more does need to be done.

The real culprit in Melbourne is Channel 9 who have treated Rugby League shabbily for years.
[/quote]

Don't worry about just Melbourne channel 9 have treated the game shabbily for the rest of us as well.

League fans should be cheering if they don't get the rights next time around.

Ant, I consider 'Sydney' to be from the CC to the Gong out to Penrith.  And so would any Sydneysider with half a brain.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7