News: Stewart case: defence denied medical records

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<div class="content-item" />
<p>SEA Eagles fullback Brett Stewart’s legal team has been denied access to medical records belonging to a teenager he allegedly sexually assaulted after Manly’s boozy 2009 season launch.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4293-stewart-case-defence-denied-medical-records.html">Read the full article</a>

I'm no lawyer but I thought that meant they were able to see themm after the prosecution had done so?

Exactly - I know what they are looking for and I know why the prosecution doesn't want to see them

My opinion only, but I believe the prosecution may read the information and attempt to suppress it on grounds of irrelevancy or something similar

I'll be attending the court sittings as I've got nothing else to do, so I'll  give some feedback as to how I think it's going.  Are people OK with that?

The article title and its content are contradictory.

If one legal team is granted access to the material then the other team will also.

Wether or not anything can be used during the case is another matter altogether.

DSM5 link said:
I'll be attending the court sittings as I've got nothing else to do, so I'll  give some feedback as to how I think it's going.  Are people OK with that?

Sure your not learning the ins and outs of the law so you can mount a case against Ox with Des as co-defendant ?

DSM5 link said:

As long as you wear a Manly jumper to the hearing that is fine with me

No idea really what this means for the case, except of course the case would go nowhere if there was something to cast substantial doubt on the reliability of the prosecution witness. Maybe this is quite normal for this sort of case - or maybe the crown was granted access to the records first so they can consider whether there is no reasonable prospect of a successful prosecution?

It means this is going to extend the case some more, and cost brett a lot of cash

My reading is that this is about her "general" medical records rather than the records specifically about the incident.  Given some of the rumours floating around about the girl [and let's not go there for defamation reasons] it would not surprise that Stewart's lawyers would have a very keen interest in them.

My guess is that juvenile medical records are sealed, especially if they allude to psychiatric interventions.  I used to work in this field and it gets messy and legally complicated.   

DSM5 link said:
My guess is that juvenile medical records are sealed, especially if they allude to psychiatric interventions.  I used to work in this field and it gets messy and legally complicated.     

That is my read on it aswell.

DSM5 link said:
My guess is that juvenile medical records are sealed, especially if they allude to psychiatric interventions.
This would make sense. Basically the case will go forward on the evidence of the night etc with her mental health status not able to be admitted as evidence. You wonder whether this is fair or not???

If it's not allowed it's only one string in the bow.  There's plenty else to work with, like the father's criminal record and the nature of it.

Matabele link said:
If it's not allowed it's only one string in the bow.  There's plenty else to work with, like the father's criminal record and the nature of it.

I don't think they will be allowed to use the old mans criminal history, even if he himself was facing charges it would not come into until he was being sentenced.

why would the old mans history come into it at sentencing??

its not him on trial. the only relevance it could have is during a trial itself.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6