News: Sorry to see a good boss go

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>Zorba - It is ironic that at 1pm on Thursday the NRL sent out a media release urging all clubs in the game to encourage qualified women executives to have more significant roles in the game. </p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/3997-sorry-to-see-a-good-boss-go.html">Read the full article</a>

I like the sledge hammer subtle part about those that did laps of honour with the team. It is true though

Would have been pretty hard to do a bad job over the last 3 years with the success on the field.

Increased media coverage - happens when you are successful
Increased membership - happens when you are successful
Increased crowds - happens when you are successful
Increased sponsorship - happens when you are successful

Unless the bloke had a major impact on how the side played then I don't know of anything he is directly responsible for. The only thing I can think of which has got a lot of attention is the season launch and that was a complete debacle from start to finish.

If someone can enlighten me on the good things he did which did not correlate with on field success, please do.

Mayer owes Hasler a huge thank you for making him look good.

A bit harsh Bob. Jack Gibson always said that you need to have a strong front office in order to run a good footy club. I think that Des Hasler's opinion is worth listening to and he took the unprecedented step of intervening at a board meeting. He has spoken publicly about the role that Mayer has played in the success of the team. Sure, winning helps but give the guy some credit.

He is not the messiah and again it is not the losing of Mayer that upsets me as much as the way that it has happened.

Probably harsh, but I'm sick of reading posts about this bloke like he is Bozo or Beaver. I'll stand by what I said, his success has more to do with right place, right time than anything else.

How he left, I don't care, this sort of crap has been going on for a long time and it will keep going long after this.

Canteen Worker link said:
I think that Des Hasler's opinion is worth listening to and he took the unprecedented step of intervening at a board meeting. He has spoken publicly about the role that Mayer has played in the success of the team. Sure, winning helps but give the guy some credit.

and  therein lies to the sting to this tale, Hasler's loyal deputy, Geoff Toovey is a member of the FC board, which effectively sided against Mayer which ultimately led to his resignation.

There has been a lot of vitriol here against Messrs Dean & O'Reilly but we have no option to accept that they were voting with the full consent of the FC Board, which of course includes Geoff Toovey, who many have suggested should be the next CEO?

I had many bad experiences when dealing with the club in the past. They were not big issues but they were annoying. I can say that anyone who hasn't noticed an improvement in the way the back office supporting our team has improved since Grant arrived just doesn't remember how bad it was and how poor the attitude was.

Membership options were not available until the season was weeks away, now they are available in October. The official web site looks fantastic today and looked and worked like rubbish previously. The choice of merchandise has increased enormously. The closer involvement of sponsors, the success of Eagles Angels, the increased number of times that players are available to the public, even the attitude of players has improved. I can't think of everything now but we have a dramatically better club today.

Of course I also believe that it is just a step in becoming an even better organisation and improvements can and should be made. But I can remember a very insular group that were not fan focussed and operated like a backyard operation. To say that he just walked into the place and rode on the tails of team success is just wrong. All the pieces started to come together by Grant and others stepping up in their leadership and directing the improvements.

Corso_Pete link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=180792.msg228352#msg228352 date=1245416635]
I think that Des Hasler's opinion is worth listening to and he took the unprecedented step of intervening at a board meeting. He has spoken publicly about the role that Mayer has played in the success of the team. Sure, winning helps but give the guy some credit.

and  therein lies to the sting to this tale, Hasler's loyal deputy, Geoff Toovey is a member of the FC board, which effectively sided against Mayer which ultimately led to his resignation.

There has been a lot of vitriol here against Messrs Dean & O'Reilly but we have no option to accept that they were voting with the full consent of the FC Board, which of course includes Geoff Toovey, who many have suggested should be the next CEO?
[/quote]
An interesting observation indeed. Of course I have no idea how the FC nominees on the Sea Eagles are accountable back to the FC board, but it is reasonable to assume they act on the Sea Eagles board in accordance with the wishes of the FC board. I also have no idea if the FC board members are always in unanimous agreement with each other, probably not I assume.

ManlyBacker link said:
I had many bad experiences when dealing with the club in the past. They were not big issues but they were annoying. I can say that anyone who hasn't noticed an improvement in the way the back office supporting our team has improved since Grant arrived just doesn't remember how bad it was and how poor the attitude was.

Membership options were not available until the season was weeks away, now they are available in October. The official web site looks fantastic today and looked and worked like rubbish previously. The choice of merchandise has increased enormously. The closer involvement of sponsors, the success of Eagles Angels, the increased number of times that players are available to the public, even the attitude of players has improved. I can't think of everything now but we have a dramatically better club today.

Of course I also believe that it is just a step in becoming an even better organisation and improvements can and should be made. But I can remember a very insular group that were not fan focussed and operated like a backyard operation. To say that he just walked into the place and rode on the tails of team success is just wrong. All the pieces started to come together by Grant and others stepping up in their leadership and directing the improvements.

Great! Thanks. Good to read something other than "we won a grand final" as an idication of his worth.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8