News: Sea Eagles will fly solo in NSW Cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>THE Sea Eagles are set to play in the NSW Cup in their own colours next year.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5298-sea-eagles-will-fly-solo-in-nsw-cup.html">Read the full article</a>

MEDIA RELEASE
The Board of the New South Wales Rugby League has today expressed its disappointment with the Canberra Raiders’ decision not to compete in the 2011 NSW Cup which will make their juniors ineligible to play in the NSWRL’s Junior Representative Competitions.
The NSWRL has spent considerable time and energy with all Clubs to engage them in the NSW Cup because the competition is a critical platform for Rugby League in the state as it links directly with NSW elite junior programs.
18 months ago the NSWRL worked to strengthen the NSW Cup as well as all representative pathways and the League made it clear that all Clubs needed to provide clear pathways within NSW.
NSWRL General Manager, Geoff Carr, said despite months of negotiations with the Raiders, the club has today announced they will not field a team in the NSW Cup with the full knowledge that this would make their juniors ineligible for Harold Matthews and SG Ball.
“It just impractical for us to develop junior players only to have them strengthen competitions interstate,” Mr Carr said.
“We have the best junior development programs of any sport in Australia and the continued commitment to these pathways is key to that success.
“We don’t want to see anyone miss out on football but Clubs have to commit to a strong game wide structure that will improve development across the state rather than focus on short term financial savings that weaken the game’s structure.
“Manly were faced with the same decision and ultimately felt that our junior programs were worth supporting.
“We have received countless correspondence from Clubs supporting our stance and they have all stressed the importance of a direct pathway for junior development through to open age football in the state of NSW.”
Please find attached the draws for both the SG Ball (Under 18) competition and the Harold Matthews (Under 16) competition.
The draw for the NSW Cup will be released early next week.

Isn't Carr a fossil yet? Where is the commission? Hasn't anyone told him that Canberra is not in NSW? What a simply brilliant strategy by the masterminds at NSW(ABCDEFG)RL.

THE GOAT RETURNS!!

Mind you from that article there's no confirmation that we'll field a team.  Just that the Mounties won't be doing a JV with us.

Good! It will really help us if injuries strike again. Plus I used to like watching the reserves at brookvale.

Certainly I hope we field a team, and my preference is without entering into a JV, the only caveat I have is that it doesn't bleed us dry. Imagine how the NSWRL would feel if one of their teams died because they went bust fielding a NSW Cup side.

I fully support Canberra's position, and I'm appalled at the attitude of the NSWRL who certainly don;t seem to be interested in the best interest of all players, and the game.
I'm pleased that Manly will have a 'reserve' grade - but we won't see them play before the main game. Instead we'll have 40-minutes of mind-numbing non-action as the NRL players and the refs stretch their hammies....

It's a shame that the Sunshine Coast Sea-Eagles partnership has to be broken - all because of the self-interests of a NSW board not worldly enough to see the bigger picture.

As long as we can afford it, this is the best outcome.

Having half a reserve grade team 1000kms away just wasn't practical from the footballing sense.

Now we might even get the chance to make the odd trip to Henson park & NSO. Good times.

will these dinosaurs be gone when the IC finaly gets going ? if so we might see the partnership start again in 2012

We wanted QLD CUP because the NSW cup is a bunch of talentless hacks,the conversion rate difference alone between NSW vs QLD CUP to NRL is heavily in QLD's favour due to a better breed of player,this is basically our reserves getting relegated to a lower tier because of NSW self interest just as Barry said

Well, NSW needs to build its comp up then. Having NSW players in QLD doesn't help that. If all the NSW teams have a proper NSW cup team, then it should be the stronger comp. If the likes of Manly bugger of to Bananaland we only weaken the NSW comp & strengthen the QLD one.
We should be spending money developing our own juniors and not those of the Sunny Coast who want to play for the Broncos anyway.

I see your point Duff but i cant agree with it,at this stage us going to NSW cup can only weaken us as our up and comers are going to play against a bunch of useless hacks every week instead of other up and comers or been there done thats

NSW cup should try to get itself right before demanding clubs,not demand clubs who dont want to be there due to substandard competition which will only hurt the development of any player who is playing there

Duff link said:
Well, NSW needs to build its comp up then. Having NSW players in QLD doesn't help that. If all the NSW teams have a proper NSW cup team, then it should be the stronger comp. If the likes of Manly bugger of to Bananaland we only weaken the NSW comp & strengthen the QLD one.
We should be spending money developing our own juniors and not those of the Sunny Coast who want to play for the Broncos anyway.

Ding ding ding we have a winner

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7