NEWS: Sea Eagle Jake Trbojevic ‘hits like Igor’

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Sea Eagle Jake Trbojevic ‘hits like legendary club hardman Terry Randall’

Jon Geddes, Manly Daily
August 1, 2016 3:26pm

THE defence of rising Sea Eagles forward has been likened to that of the club’s legendary hardman Terry “Igor’ Randall.

That comparison was drawn by the club’s former stars Mal Cochrane and David “Mule” Hosking, who were at Brookvale Oval on Sunday as part of a Golden Eagles reunion watching Trbojevic and his teammate belt Newcastle 36-16.

turbo is a terrific head on below the waist defender but igor hit like a wrecking ball,biggest most destructive hits ive seen were on Donnelly twice and bob o'rielly,jake will get harder and stronger in years to come.
I have footage of Igor's hit on donnelly but can't find the O'Reilly hit. I have seen it but a long time ago.
Jake hits beautifully, right under the ribs and times to perfection and I'm glad he now gets his melon out the way.
But Igor hit with the greatest timing and power of them all ...

I've only ever seen grainy footage of Igor hitting but it looked great.

If any of those tech minded Silvertails out there could post some footage I think we would all be entertained.

If not we will have to do with Steve Matai's biggest hits.

I recall an interview with Igor where he said that when he got up from a tackle, he liked watching the guy he hit twitch :D

Always remember that he was like a shark. You never saw him coming, but he would line up the liver from a side shot and whooska :eek:

Igor had a stange loping run, almost like he was dragging his right leg.
images.jpg

Too bad Chad got his Mum's sporting genes @:cool:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...it-out-for-manly/story-e6frexnr-1226480495936

It was always a good sign when Terry Randall, coming from down low, went up under somebody's ribcage and left them, moments later, on the ground twitching.

The twitch was good. It meant they were still alive. :giggle:

"I hit a bloke at Cootamundra one day in a trial," he says. "I thought I'd killed him."

He can't remember the bloke's name or even the team, and forget about the score.

But he remembers every detail about the man.

He was about six-foot-one in the old scale, had a beard and played front row, weighed about 100kg and he had this beautiful upright running style - beautiful for Randall, because it was this bloke's near-fatal mistake.

"I used to love 'em running upright," he says.

"You could get up under the ribcage, using your body as a launch, as a weapon."

This day, nothing moved when the big bloke hit the deck.

He just went thud like a slab of beef would when dropped from a meat truck, and his teammates came in with their chests puffed out as if they were going to do something masculine, when everybody in the opposition knew they weren't, and Randall stood there like men do when they conquer others.

Last edited:
I was only thinking the other day about the Manly juniors who would rank among the best defenders ever in the NRl. Randall, Menzies, Toovey and Jake T. I can sort of see Goulds point about tackling high is the way to go these days to get the dominance etc but I believe a Jake T style tackle is far more effective in a lot of situations. I have seen many tries scored when a rampaging bull charges at the line from 10 or 15 out and the first attempt is a high load of nonsense and the next defenders are in big trouble. A rampaging bull is proven to be stopped by a good lowish tackle. The idea that this does not stop the offload is false. They hit the ground way too fast to offload

I've only ever seen grainy footage of Igor hitting but it looked great.

If any of those tech minded Silvertails out there could post some footage I think we would all be entertained.

If not we will have to do with Steve Matai's biggest hits.
Well mate, Matai's tackles, and they were great tackles, on those hapless souffs jubs last year are up there with anything I have seen so we'll all remember them.
My humble theory is tackles and hits are different beasts but when combined as Randall and Matai have shown they are a devastating art form.
And at Manly , through history, we produce those who do it best.
In Jake........
May the legend continue !!!

Fibros v silvertails that was on the ABC has Randall's Donnelly hit in living colour.....

And if you look at those old clips, igor was giving as good as he got from those so-called fibro tough guys. You can't tell me they somehow intimidated us - might have taken our minds off the footy, but scared - no way.
And won NOTHING !!

Some comparisons are plain stupid...including this.
A more comparable defender was Beaver Menzies, absolute A grade tackler with great technique stopped players in their tracks.
Randall catapulted in, breaking bones, bending them in half & knocking them back 5 metres.
Jake is an awesome player, but next they will be comparing his goal kicking with Ridge!!

****s me no end the way each of our premierships is somehow "tainted". If you listen to this crap the only reason we won anything was because the refs were on our side. Zero credit.
The cruel irony of the 2013 Steggles Hayne GF is even more irksome :swear:
Let alone the 1995 7th tackle Dogs fiasco @:mad:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4