News: Penn - Betting set to become NRL cash cow

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p class="first">Manly Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn predicts sports betting will become a dominant revenue stream for the NRL.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5288-penn-betting-set-to-become-nrl-cash-cow.html">Read the full article</a>

DSM5 link said:
All I want for Xmas is a dominant sponsor cash cow.

I'd settle for a 'frosty can of beer'. Now there's an idea. I could get it beering, I could get it cheering, A hard earned thirst needs a big strong sponsor. And the best sponsor is ....

Great.
Let's encourage more betting on Australian sport so we can get levels up to those of India and Pakistan which, as we know, is squeaky clean and never tries to manipulate results.
Gambling may pay the wages of players and coaches and refs, but at what cost?
Judging by the decisions of some video refs in recent years, I reckon they are already on the take.
Stand by for the 2011 season to be mired in gambling conspiracies.

DSM5 link said:
Thanks for that Barry.  Very positive.

Sorry, but it is hard to be positive when you see how betting on cricket has corrupted the sport, and the RL matches that have come under suspicion of being rigged. Not to mention soccer, tennis, boxing and cycling.
I used to think everything was squeaky clean. I wish I still did because I used to enjoy my sports more than in recent years when it seems that having a punt on the games is more of a priority for the NRL than getting people to the games.
But, I'll try harder to be more positive with my future posts.

Actually I never thought that League was squeaky clean.  Remember the days of Humphries.  But, I think that League has, to a certain extent, got its act together, (the cap excluded).  The Commission should move the game forward on a more professional level and with it a probity committee should be established with a more professional audit system.  One hopes anyway.   

what i dont understand.... :-\  werent we going to get a betting agency before in mayers days  as sponsor only for the NRL to quash it .....  im sure he got us some betting agency as potential sponsor before like 3.5 million dollars over 3 yrs, but gallop  put an end to it, something or other about conflicting with the betting agency that the nrl endorsed..  im sure there will be plenty to pull me up if im wrong(in here)....
::)
:p

DSM5 link said:
Under Saint Grant, anything was possible.
he did dave.. 
i just blow out  at the heading
my point with that comment is why is penn acting like he come across something new when the  previous CEO already  been there done that..  for gallop to fuk it  .. mayer was  3 yrs ahead of penn ..lol..

Saint Grant.....visionary, statesman, hero.  Should send him to Afghanistan to sort those fucquers.

DSM5 link said:
Saint Grant.....visionary, statesman, hero.  Should send him to Afghanistan to sort those fucquers.
Yes, he should be knighted. Let him be known as Sir Saint Grant.

Yep, it was a $3M sponsorship from Betchoice late '08 organised by Mayer. Scuttled by Gallop and his NRL minions because of a piddly $1M top level deal with Tab Corp. That is still why no other betting agency can be the major sponsor of any other team, as far as I know.

"They can't do it - we have a sponsorship deal with TAB Corp,'' said Gallop. "They are the official sports betting agency of the game. Part of the deal is that clubs can have affiliations with other agencies but not naming rights on their jerseys.''

Thanks David.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9