News: NRL Double Demerit Dilemma

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matabele

Journey Man
<p />It's been one of the hidden, but seething, stories of the NRL off-season.  A growing sense of disquiet over the injustices meted out to Brett Stewart and the Manly Warrinagh Sea Eagles by the knee-jerk reactions of David Gallop's NRL after the infamous season launch of 2009.  It was a night that exploded into spectacular media hysteria when star fullback Stewart was accused of sexual misconduct by a teenager as he made his way to the front door of his apartment where his girlfriend was waiting for him.

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5402-nrl-double-demerit-dilemma.html">Read the full article</a>

Sorry - ..." been a hidden, but seething story for several months, because Stewart was found guilty in Grand Final week, and then thoughts turned to the Ashes. "...might wanna fix that and do a spell check as well.

Fixed the not.  Can't fix the photo situation - don't want to be sued by an ape for defamation.

Great article. I hope it doesn't go to waste on the oscitant brood. Appropriate delivery is the key. I think I posted Gallop's direct E-mail previously didn't I?

The flagrant dishonesty is that Gallop at the time said that the fine on Stewart and Manly had nothing to do with the rape charges but rather for the intoxication.

At the time we knew that Gallop was lying through his teeth and that the fine and suspension had everything to do with it. Manly was unfairly asked to accept the fine, simply to protect the image of the game.

Now that court-based evidence indicates that Brett was not intoxicated, he is totally innocent of rape and that he is a victim of News Limited misinformation as fallaciously printed in the Telegraph, it is time that Gallop apologised to him and admits they got it wrong.

It is the double standards which are causing this ruckus and Gallop is guilty of it.

News Limited knows they are wrong and have already tried to settle the defamation out of court but their paltry offer was not accepted. I hope Brett gets millions from them as what was written as fact bore no relationship with an iota of what was submitted as evidence in court. They do not have the right to mess around with the life of an outstanding young individual.

If Gallop could just admit that they failed Stewart dismally, it could go a long way to quieting this furore!!!

The NRL should also refund Manly the $100 000 fine as well. It was wrongly applied.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=186717.msg320936#msg320936 date=1299585754]
I think I posted Gallop's direct E-mail previously didn't I?
Can you PM it to me?
[/quote]

I'll see if I have it saved at work....and no...I'll post it to you publicly....hopefully tomorrow. If you trauled through the posts around the time he imposed the fine.....it'll be there I think....but better to wait eh.

Great article matas right up there with the one you posted after penrith beat us 72 - 12

The NRL's "smoking gun" is a line in a report that says Brett was ejected for being intoxicated.  I understand this is disputed by the Manly club, but even if it were true, bouncers are not known for getting these things right all of the time and it is hardly conclusive evidence.  I know plenty of people who have been kicked out of pubs after having one or two drinks (or sometimes even nothing to drink).  It is established that Brett's diabeties can contribute to the appearance of intoxication, which would be another reason why a bouncer could have erroneously considered that Brett was intoxicated.

The problem is that Manly and Brett did not have an opportunity to properly defend these allegations because the question of Brett's intoxication was a key issue at Brett's trial.  Manly and Brett may, quite rightly, not want to reveal their full defence to the NRL as it may compromise their ability to put forward the best possible defence at Brett's trial.  A four week suspension is a big penalty, but it is not worth risking a jail sentence to avoid it.  Gallops supposedly comes from a legal background and he should have known and understood this, and this knowledge should have been sufficient for him to overcome the pressure from the media to suspend Brett and wait until the outcome of the Court case was known.

The other potentially much more damaging consequence of the NRL's decision to suspend Brett is that it clearly had the capacity to prejudice Brett's trial.  If you were on a jury member at Brett's trial, where one of the key issues is whether or not he was intoxicated, would you consider a finding by the NRL (apparently after an investigation) that he was intoxicated and a 4 suspension imposed on him lead you to believe that it was likely that Brett was intoxicated?  If you didn't know how incompetent the NRL was, perhaps you would.

The fact is that the NRL should have reacted to Brett's case in exactly the same way as it has reacted in relation to Benji Marshall.  The NRL should impose heavy sanctions any player found guilty of assault or sexual assault, but when a player is facing allegations of that nature, the last thing the NRL should be doing is taking any action that would make it more likely that the player would be found guilty.

This is now a featured article on
http://thebigtip.com.au/league/nrls-double-demerit-dillema

Well done Matabele

The Goose brought up the Watmough/ sponsor incident from 2009 launch. The question must be asked then why didn't Watmough cop a suspension for his actions at the season launch. Gallop just jumps from one fire to the next without any thought of consequences. He is no leader at all. Weak as piss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4