News: NRL bows to pressure on two referees

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
<span class="story-summary-bold">THE NRL has tackled growing dissent over the two-referee system by changing the rules. </span>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/3938-nrl-bows-to-pressure-on-two-referees.html">Read the full article</a>

why not have the experienced ref taking the whole game and the junior swapping sides for the play the ball stuff?

HA HA HA

This should hopefully make things a bit better. I think the Junior referee should lose their whistle and be there as a second set of eyes, say to the other ref "I think there was a penalty there" and the main ref can agree or just play on

That sounds like not a bad idea, Dan. This means he can pretty much stand where he needs to be to see rakes, ptb infringments, high teckles etc.

Exactly. He becomes a live set of eyes but can not interrupt the play or make bad decisions. Having the senior ref control the game as per normal, and the one who blows any penalties. It becomes like an adviser.

Better still just go back to 1 ref

I agree with that idea too.  Everyone blames the young refs not being experienced enough, this is the best way - be on the field and do everything except blow the whistle.  This main ref and pocket ref...what the hell?

I like to call them the "Closet Ref"

For the first 100 years we had one ref, why change now, send the jnr ref to do toyota cup and leave it at one ref period. And while we're at it the video ref only decides on grounding.

wwhy groundings? They get that wrong far too aften, then thing the video ref is best for is off side

Fluffy, off side and forward passes.  Why two refs?  It's not as if any have ever suffered heart attacks from the exertion  (I think that was one reason put forward for the change).  I've posted before on why the need to quicken the game up.  There's no reason for it.  Most fans would put up with slightly slower games to get it right.  The way the games going it will be like Super League all over again without any of the true grit that the game had.  Hasler said it correctly when he stated that the referee errors will put fans out of the game in disgust.  Amd he's right.

He is right and I am starting to think along those lines myself

I want to watch a contact, enjoy the hits and see big men bash and crash against each other. It is starting to get more like touch football.

Fluffy link said:
wwhy groundings? They get that wrong far too aften, then thing the video ref is best for is off side

Better they can only stuff one thing up than a number of things.

Dan link said:
Exactly. He becomes a live set of eyes but can not interrupt the play or make bad decisions. Having the senior ref control the game as per normal, and the one who blows any penalties. It becomes like an adviser.

I agree with this if the NRL is persist with 2 referees & it is basically what Gould said several weeks back on the Sunday Roast and then went on to say to get rid of the video referee as well & go NFL style and have the main referee view the footage on the ground to help him make a decision (I agree with this idea as well or at least give it a try).

Dan link said:
Better still just go back to 1 ref

Probably best if things don't improve but I still like the idea of getting rid of the video ref & make the ref on the field make a decision after viewing the footage.

I dont mind having a video ref. I dont think we should go NFL style and I am livid Gus Gould and I share an idea. May need to go get a lobotomy now!

Lets have a single ref and a video ref who rules on offside, obstruction and grounding, and only has 3 looks at the grounding, 1 in slow motion.

If he cant figure it out from them, then it is a benefit of the doubt try, no matter what other angle is available.

The game will flow quickly enough and right or wrong you will get a fair analysis and most tries will end up in Benefit of the doubt. I dont care if someone drops it in a single frame an inch from the ground. In my book that is still a try and I will be happy with any decision for or again Manly that uses this logic

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4