News: Max farewelled - ashes to be spread at Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<div class="content-item" />
<p>MANLY legend Max Whitehead’s ashes will be scattered on Brookvale Oval before an NRL game this year following his funeral yesterday.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4698-max-farewelled-ashes-to-be-spread-at-brookie.html">Read the full article</a>

MANLY representative stars Jamie Lyon and Anthony Watmough had the sombre honour of being pallbearers at yesterday's funeral for Max Whitehead, the club's first captain. As colourful a character to ever lace a boot, Whitehead was perhaps better known as the original Chesty Bonds man. He also wrestled in the US and once had a job differentiating the sexes of poultry.

As colourful a character to ever lace a boot, Whitehead was perhaps better known as the original Chesty Bonds man. He also wrestled in the US and once had a job differentiating the sexes of poultry.

Other Sea Eagles identities including coach Des Hasler, CEO Graham Lowe, Brett and Glenn Stewart, Max Delmege, Scott Penn and Rex Mossop were among 300 mourners who packed St Matthew's parish on Manly's Corso to farewell the 87-year-old.

Massoud Tele

Stupid put-down of Max to mention the chook desexing stuff.  Shame on you Massoud, although I'd expect nothing else from that rag.

If you boys cant go out an win for Max on Sunday they wont win another game this year

Max played a number of years with Norths before he went to Manly so he should have some of his ashes spread on NSO as well

I wasn't aware that one could have ashes spread at Brooky.  Might make that a stipulation in my will. 

DSM5 link said:
Stupid put-down of Max to mention the chook desexing stuff.  Shame on you Massoud, although I'd expect nothing else from that rag.

I thought the playing for Norths was more of an insult than a chicken sexer.

DSM5 link said:
I wasn't aware that one could have ashes spread at Brooky.  Might make that a stipulation in my will. 

Maybe request they be put on the 20m line, right where Orford's drop outs used to land. 

More on Max from the Manly Daily's Blindside column:

GREAT to see such a strong, and diverse gathering at Max Whitehead’s funeral in Manly this week.

Mourners were left in awe as the incredible life and times of the Sea Eagles’ first-ever captain were eulogised by friend Sid Barnes, Manly official Kerry Sibraa and friend and carer, Samantha Lane.

Barnes gave a detailed account of Whitehead’s life, from a boy collecting rabbits in Newcastle, to his travels around the world as a professional wrestler which may have included relations with Hollywood actress Mae West.

Sibraa spoke of Whitehead’s permanent place in the Sea Eagles’ 63-year history, with the former second-rower officially Manly’s No.1 player.

But it was Lane’s recollections which really touched many.

The young nurse spent the evening of March 25, Whitehead’s last night, caring for the former Chesty Bond model.

When he awoke in the moring, Lane said:

“You got your wish, you spent the night with a young chick. “He smiled at me and winked. If anyone deserves to go to heaven, it’s Max.”

“You got your wish, you spent the night with a young chick. “He smiled at me and winked. If anyone deserves to go to heaven, it’s Max.”

Very touching, reminds me of my old fella (Dad) in the rehab unit. Pissed off with being there but if a constantly sweet talking the nurses who all claim he's "gorgeous". Little bugger will be back causing trouble at his home in about 2 weeks.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6