News: Knights face eviction

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

blitzkrieg

Reserve Grader
<strong>Newcastle faces the prospect of being evicted from their home ground with Hunter Venues issuing the club a notice of default for $792,000 in outstanding rent.</strong><div id="storybody">Just five days out from their first home game of 2009 at EnergyAustralia Stadium, the Knights have confirmed they owe money and have until the end of next month to settle the debt.

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/Sea-Eagles/knights-face-eviciton.html">Read the full article</a>

Re: News: Knights face eviciton

Hunter Venues is a community organisation tasked with looking after sporting facilities in the area. They are spending $60 MILLION in upgrading EnergyAustralia Stadium and the Knights are whinging about a loss of ticket sales from the western grandstand. They have a point but a $1 million compensation claim against ticket sales for this year is unrealistic considering the on-going benefits they will receive over the next decade. Kick them out.

Gosford here they come ? ? ?

They would be the most logical move to Gosford

and then leave newcastle without a team?

I hope they crumble and die only to be remembered as the team thats drugs took and not the team that took drugs.

Zep link said:
and then leave newcastle without a team?

I hope they crumble and die only to be remembered as the team thats drugs took and not the team that took drugs.

newcastle should be a heartland with a massive supporter base. i blame brian smith

I do not want to see any team kicked out of the competition and I can not understand why any of you would want that, how is a team being dumped good for rugby league. i am not totally against a team moving to another area to stay alive, although this is also not ideal. 

my understanding from this situation (from a meeting I was at today in Newcastle) is that the group was trying to embarrass the club into negotiating a lower counter offer for re inbursement of losses during the redevelopment. You will probably see a sponsor (lending institution) offer a short term loan to cover this bill prior to the deadline....and payment come from the payment from the Hunter venues consortium

I hate Newcastle as much as the next Manly fan but it is a stupid idea for the area not to have a team. It is a rugby league stronghold and things must be done to make them viable. Newcastle service the area from Newcastle to Coffs Harbour.

Fulton link said:
I do not want to see any team kicked out of the competition and I can not understand why any of you would want that, how is a team being dumped good for rugby league. i am not totally against a team moving to another area to stay alive, although this is also not ideal. 

i'm not sure what posts you have been reading but no-one suggested they should be dumped.

How come they can get 60 mill for their stadium when we can't even get warmed pies?  What is going on?  C'mon Saint Grant, get us the money!

Fulton link said:

Don't want them kicked out.....just forcibly relocated.  ;)

After all, it is less than an hour drive from Newcastle to Gosford.

Parking is crap at Central Coast, the line to get a beer at the club across the road is usually a 35 min wait. Having said that drinking Hunter lager at Energy Aust is like drink p$%s, but the corporate facilities are heaps better than Brookvale, and it 10 mins from home, not 3 hours? - the wife usually has to drive me home!

Living in the Hunter - they are football mad. They need their football club to stay in Newcastle. They usually don't have a problem getting crowds, and when they don't they get kids in for free....of course they buy food and gear- so the club makes money there.

Thought it was interesting about Monday nights game where our club didn't break even on the night - costs $65K to open the gates? By my numbers we had around 6000 at the game at about $30 a ticket on average (sponsors catered seating and grand stands included) works at to be $180,000? Sure the crowd would have been bigger without a Monday night and rain -but I'm struggling to see why we ran at a loss? Any takers on why?

Because Monday night footie at Brookvale is plain dumb.  Play the Monday night game at the SFS and you'd get 15 thou and over.  People just can't get home from work, eat something and then to Brookie by 7pm.  Can't see why they would run at a loss though.  Don't they get subsidized by the NRL for the Monday night TV rights?   

DSM5 link said:
Because Monday night footie at Brookvale is plain dumb.  Play the Monday night game at the SFS and you'd get 15 thou and over.  People just can't get home from work, eat something and then to Brookie by 7pm.  Can't see why they would run at a loss though.  Don't they get subsidized by the NRL for the Monday night TV rights?   
I think you just hit the nail on the head
Monday nite games in sydney should be at the SFS

DSM5 link said:

All depends on where you live. I go to Monday night games at Brookie but I wouldn't get to anyothers.

Ryno, we're not all on the dole mate or work from home.  If you work in the city or thereabouts and catch the ferry/bus home you don't get to Manly before 6.30.  Then get home and then down to Brookie by 7 is just to much.   

We ran at a "loss"

We had a crowd of "8500"

we need funding

that is the most packed i have seen brookie under 10K and the most noise under 10K - id say we had about 11-12K in there, the stands were fairly full and the hill didnt leave much room in the middle

Under ten thou.  We got there at 6.50 and had no trouble getting onto the forty metre line on the hill.  Impossible at other times.  Monday night is just not suitable at Brookvale.  Saturday night or Sunday arvo is best.

DSM5 link said:
Ryno, we're not all on the dole mate or work from home.  If you work in the city or thereabouts and catch the ferry/bus home you don't get to Manly before 6.30.  Then get home and then down to Brookie by 7 is just to much.   

Well your wrong on both counts, not on the dole and don't work from home. Wish I did work from home thou.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7