News: It's their shout: how alcohol sponsors encourage binge drinking

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rex

Bencher
<div id="contentSwap1" class="pageprint" style="display: inline" /> THE alcohol industry's sponsorship of sport has been directly linked to problem drinking by players for the first time in a study that challenges sporting codes and governments worldwide to restrict the practice.<p>While research has already established the potentially harmful impact of alcohol advertising on sports audiences, by encouraging them to drink more, little has been known about sponsorship impact on athletes.</p><p>A study in the latest issue of the international journal, <em>Addiction</em>, found that players from teams sponsored by alcohol companies drank heavily as a result.</p><p>The survey of 1279 athletes, co-authored by a senior research fellow from the school of medicine and public health at the University of Newcastle, Kypros Kypri, found close to half received sponsorship that included free or discounted alcoholic drinks.</p><p>The study showed that when free alcohol was provided, drinking rose to harmful levels - which for most participants was more than six drinks in one sitting. Even free uniforms were enough to encourage players to drink.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/General-NRL/its-their-shout-how-alcohol-sponsors-encourage-binge-drinking.html">Read the full article</a>

It is funny how self-righteous our press is. I would probably not be wrong in saying that journalists probably have the highest problems with alcohol of any profession in Australia.

I wonder whether we should do our own muckraking and finger pointing, I am sure we could mount some pretty good evidence against these "journalists"

i have thought for awhile about starting a website
for people to dob in journos and media personal who go out and get ****faced and behave badly

turn the tables on those ****s

Cliffy Gc link said:
i have thought for awhile about starting a website
for people to dob in journos and media personal who go out and get S**tfaced and behave badly

turn the tables on those c**ts

you wouldn't be protected under freedom of the press, so you would need to be extremely careful about what is said and how accurate it is though, please take my previous post as nothing more than a comment

I lived in Canberra for a while and the bar at the Press gallery has some legendary stories. I doubt that much has changed. The best way to get some press coverage in to throw on free drinks.

Dan link said:
I wonder whether we should do our own muckraking and finger pointing, I am sure we could mount some pretty good evidence against these \"journalists\"
Yeah, but then who are you going to report it to?

ManlyBacker link said:
It is funny how self-righteous our press is. I would probably not be wrong in saying that journalists probably have the highest problems with alcohol of any profession in Australia.
  If they were so high minded about it they should decline all alcohol sponsorship in their papers?  LOL I''ll never live to see that day.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6