News: Guess who's fighting over the grand final - Vic and Qld

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
THEY have already taken a State of Origin game away from Sydney. Now they want our grand final.

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/3960-guess-whos-fighting-over-the-grand-final-vic-and-qld.html">Read the full article</a>

If it is in Victoria and the Storm don't make it, and say it was Cowboys vs Drugcastle, then it would be a case of the announcer introducing the crowd to the players. Queensland deserve it every 3 years but then the risk is that none of the 3 cane toad teams make it, but I am sure it would be sold out.

The Grand Final should always remain in it's rightful birth place of Sydney imo and these QLD sides and storm etc who all wanted to join the NRL so they should play the GF here end of story.

eagle_predator link said:
The Grand Final should always remain in it's rightful birth place of Sydney imo and these QLD sides and storm etc who all wanted to join the NRL so they should play the GF here end of story.

You are forgetting that the NRL is the offspring of the ARL & Super League competitions when they merged so you can't just say that the QLD sides (SL teams) and storm etc who all wanted to join the NRL because the ARL teams wanted to join the NRL as well. I agree with you though that the GF should stay in Sydney but only whilst the bulk of the teams come from there but if Qld happens to get a 4th team then I'll be okay with it if they do get to play the GF there but only on a rotational basis with Sydney. Melbourne in my opinion do not deserve it just like they don't deserve a SOO game.

Gabba 42000 capacity
Suncorp 52500 capacity
ANZ (Sydney) 83500 capacity
Do the maths.
Source: google

VIC

Docklands Stadium, also known by its sponsored name Etihad Stadium,
56,347 (oval)
53,355 (rectangular)

MCG

Hay on a different note did u guys know that the storm will be getting a new 33,000 stadium structurally similar to Skilled Park and will be playing on it next year ... once again goverment funded  :mad:

deadlyeagle link said:
VIC

Docklands Stadium, also known by its sponsored name Etihad Stadium,
56,347 (oval)
53,355 (rectangular)

MCG

Hay on a different note did u guys know that the storm will be getting a new 33,000 stadium structurally similar to Skilled Park and will be playing on it next year ... once again goverment funded  :mad:

I do remember hearing something about the Storm getting a new Stadium at some point ? it makes me sick to think that Brookie has been given peanuts compared to some other clubs like the Dragons who are getting Gov hand outs to help up grade Win Stadium & Win Jubilee i think the Knights and Rabbitohs have as well but I'm not 100% sure ?

found it, its the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

Owner: Government of Victoria

Construction cost: AU$268 million

Capacity: 31,500

Tenants
Melbourne Victory FC (A-League)
(from 2009-2010; shared with Docklands Stadium)
Melbourne Storm (NRL) (from 2010)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Rectangular_Stadium

Jethro link said:
[quote author=eagle_predator link=topic=180634.msg226517#msg226517 date=1244372181]

You are forgetting that the NRL is the offspring of the ARL & Super League competitions when they merged so you can't just say that the QLD sides (SL teams) and storm etc who all wanted to join the NRL because the ARL teams wanted to join the NRL as well. I agree with you though that the GF should stay in Sydney but only whilst the bulk of the teams come from there but if Qld happens to get a 4th team then I'll be okay with it if they do get to play the GF there but only on a rotational basis with Sydney. Melbourne in my opinion do not deserve it just like they don't deserve a SOO game.
[/quote]

I should of said ARL and though the NRL was a result of the SL wars anyway when both were signing as many players as they could NRL to keep their comp alive and SL (News) to get their comp up and started.

But Brisbane entered the competition in 1988 which was ARL and well before the SL wars in the mid 90s and then they a long with the Sharks,Bulldogs,Raiders were let back into the NRL when the SL comp and the NRL comp came together as the one comp again

I understand where your coming from but i don't think the GF should ever be played out side of it's birth place (Sydney) why should a club like Brisbane who joined what was ARL at the time then piss out to SL be able to host a GF up there ? it's not right imo.

deadlyeagle link said:
found it, its the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

Owner: Government of Victoria

Construction cost: AU$268 million

Capacity: 31,500

Tenants
Melbourne Victory FC (A-League)
(from 2009-2010; shared with Docklands Stadium)
Melbourne Storm (NRL) (from 2010)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Rectangular_Stadium

Well their going to share the Stadium it's not going to be built just for them ? different state Gov but still Brookie should of got more.

Good point of the MCG holding approx 100,000 - The only way I can see that happening is if there were to be a second (possibly in ten years +, third (not going to happen) or fourth (if this happens I will shoot heroin into my eye ball) team in the **** state of Victoria.

HOWEVER a second Victorian team is possible (albeit never) and a second team in sydney for AFL is possible (probable) so here is my scenario; Sydney Swans V Western Sydney  ??? in the AFL GF and the  Melbourne Storm V The (relocated) North Melbourne sharks In the NRL GF (Holt have your hand ready on the switch). this way the two governing bodies (FAL and NRL) would switch venues for their respective deciders.

This will never happen.

It would have to be the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Why would you make Sydney fans travel to Melbourne to see the grand final? I can handle the idea of it being in Queensland if there is a Queensalnd team involved. But why would Melbournians give two hoots about two out of state teams?

Cletus link said:
It would have to be the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Why would you make Sydney fans travel to Melbourne to see the grand final? I can handle the idea of it being in Queensland if there is a Queensalnd team involved. But why would Melbournians give two hoots about two out of state teams?

its all about the $$$ the NRL gets for playing a game in a different state, if they can get more money for playing it in VIC or QLD than NSW im all for it becuase remember those $$$ get passed down to the clubs and helps improve / promote the end product.

What i would like to see which is most likely going to happen is have a bidding war happen between those states, and although VIC might offer more, it will however make the other states offer more aswell and most likely go to them. The way i see it is VIC want all the major events, NSW will be desperate to maintain it and QLD will want any major event.

deadlyeagle link said:
[quote author=Cletus link=topic=180634.msg226630#msg226630 date=1244477158]

its all about the $$$ the NRL gets for playing a game in a different state, if they can get more money for playing it in VIC or QLD than NSW im all for it becuase remember those $$$ get passed down to the clubs and helps improve / promote the end product.

What i would like to see which is most likely going to happen is have a bidding war happen between those states, and although VIC might offer more, it will however make the other states offer more aswell and most likely go to them. The way i see it is VIC want all the major events, NSW will be desperate to maintain it and QLD will want any major event.
[/quote]

How much are they going to get though, maybe $500,000 to hold it in the MCG. Surely it means more to have some passionate fans there rathere than some Victorians who couldn't care less. It wouldn't even sell out there. I'm sure this idea has been dreamed up by an AFL fan for the lulz. Could you imagine an AFL final at the Olympic Stadium? All it's going to do is lose some real league fans.

Yep, this is the NSWRL rebadged & so has to stay in Sydney.

Before you say that the current NSWRL comp is the old Sydney comp Jethro, it isn't. It's the old reserve grade.

Queensland & Victoria have their state GF's. If they want to play in our comp, they play by our rules. You don't see anyone here wanting the QRL GF down here just because Manly has chosen to align themselves with that comp.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7