News: Greg Inglis approved to play

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jatz Crackers

First Grader
<div class="split-page no-divider clearfloat"><div id="text-big" class="lead-content-panel article clearfloat"><div class="btm20"><p class="standfirst"><span style="display: block">MELBOURNE Storm superstar Greg Inglis will play this Saturday after his indefinite ban was lifted by the club today.</span></p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4219-greg-inglis-approved-to-play.html">Read the full article</a>

Inglis showed in SOO III this year and the Grand Final last year that all you have to do is hit him around the chops once or start a push and shove with him and he will be nowhere to seen the rest of the game.

Justice will be served if he suffers a season ending injury this weekend.

Gallop the inconsistant goose. 

Fluffy link said:
its not double demerits on the eve of the finals.....
True. Despite my stupid rhyme under the Gallop post I don't have a problem with Inglis playing this weekend. That is the way the court situation has played out and in fairness he should play. The issue was always the treatment of Brett.

Manly didn't help with issues around Brett, I have no doubt that the NRL "suggested" to Manly that Brett should be stood down, they didn't and essentially forced the NRL to act. In my view they penalised Brett 2 weeks and added 2 weeks for Manly failing to heed their suggestion.

Corso_Pete link said:
Manly didn't help with issues around Brett, I have no doubt that the NRL \"suggested\" to Manly that Brett should be stood down, they didn't and essentially forced the NRL to act. In my view they penalised Brett 2 weeks and added 2 weeks for Manly failing to heed their suggestion.

Your 20-20 hindsight is wonderful Pete.

And what you say only exposes the weakness of Gallop.  Only drama queens overreact.  A strong leader would have calmly taken measured action without any fuss, without any added penalty. Maybe Hasler overestimated Gallop's leadership strength.

Drama queens can't tolerate waiting for due process.  Ask Inglis and Stewart about due process.  Drama queens lie about the real reasons for their actions, making up stories.  Drama queens knee-jerk react. Drama queens are erratic. Should we automatically and meekly follow drama queens, selling ourselves out and living in fear of their next erratic decision, or bite the bullet, take the hit, and plot our own independent path?

If Gallop wants to control these suspensions, let him take direct and overt control.

Rex link said:
If Gallop wants to control these suspensions, let him take direct and overt control.

After an entire season when it seems 2 weeks does not pass without some off field incident, with the benefit of hindsight I will predict that season 2010 will begin with clear and well publicsed penalties for off field incidents involving NRL players.

Corso_Pete link said:
[quote author=Rex link=topic=181480.msg238553#msg238553 date=1251366462]

After an entire season when it seems 2 weeks does not pass without some off field incident, with the benefit of hindsight I will predict that season 2010 will begin with clear and well publicsed penalties for off field incidents involving NRL players.
[/quote]

That's a big prediction Pete.  And it seems at variance with his repeated "each case on its merits" mantra.  But not to be ruled out as there does seem to be a gap between his words and his actions, like in his latest quote below.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/nrl-keeps-its-hands-off-inglis-stewart/2009/08/27/1251001990948.html
''Obviously they are difficult issues and we endeavour to deal with conduct issues when the facts are clear, but where the facts are unclear we leave it to the court process before we make a determination."

That statement may leave some jaws agape.

Consistency with Stewie's case aside, it was always problematic suspending Inglis for even one game as it indicates a presumption of guilt.  Perhaps even prejudicial to his case as it may be used against him, or subconsciously influence those making judicial decisions to conclude there must have been truth to the allegations for a suspension to occur.  Unlike some, Manly's stance remains "innocent until proven guilty":

-------------------------------------------------

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25990364-2722,00.html

The decision to allow Inglis to resume playing after a two-week ban sat well with other clubs that have had players suspended this season for off-field incidents.

Manly officials, who lost Stewart for the first four weeks of the premiership, said they were comfortable with the process.

"You've got to judge these things on a case-by-case scenario and only his legal counsel and the police know the intricacies of the case," Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn said.

"Our opinion is he's innocent until proven guilty and in those circumstances they're eligible to play him so there's no drama from our end."

Its perfectly fair that Inglis is playing. He's been charged and deserves the chance to defend himself in court. His charge has no bearing on his profession so should be able to continue this until if he is found guilty.

The only reason you should be stood down waiting for trial is say if you worked with kids and was up on molestation charges etc. I.e. where the charge actually related to something you do and if true could mean others you worked with were in danger.

I said the same thing with Stewart and I think the same for Inglis.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7