News: Girl at centre of bashing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<div class="content-item" />
<p>A DISTRESSED girl consoled by Manly pair Anthony Watmough and Steve Matai appears to be at the centre of the vicious attack on the Sea Eagles players.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4493-girl-at-centre-of-bashing.html">Read the full article</a>

Despite the sensationalising (word ??) of the situation into a headline, it appears the attack was less unprovoked then it was yesterday.

She was probably a Parramatta supporter still crying at last years grand final loss. 

The guys that attacked Mattai and choc were parramatta players.  Choc and Mattai were asking them if they had won a premiership in the last 20 years.

if it is true as reported, then the tone from the club should be "we are very proud to have such good blokes at the club" rather than "Lowe said the club would refrain from imposing a nightly curfew on his players following the brutal bashing"

mainly the media's fault - if you look at Lowe's quotes he was asked many leading questions based on the current media hype, but they should be on the front foot on this one as it should be a good news story about the moral fibre of the players - standing up for a girl and then protecting your mate. 

MANLY will not pressure battered duo Anthony Watmough and Steve Matai into pressing charges against a group of men who bashed them and were still at large last night.

After it emerged that a stricken woman was thought to have sparked the vicious attack, Manly CEO Graham Lowe last night said the club considered the matter closed because the players were deemed innocent victims.

"But as far as pressing charges goes, that will be up to the two players as individuals," Lowe said.

"The club won't have any say in that - they'll be guided by their own feelings and legal advice."

Decision time will not arise until police can arrest any of the three men who are believed to have kicked and punched the two internationals into a bloodied mess.

Detectives are still hunting for leads into the attack, which occurred about 1.30am on Sunday on the side of Warringah Rd, Beacon Hill, as Watmough and Matai sought a taxi home.

Sources say the players noticed a young woman crying in the street and asked about her welfare.

Their inquiries provoked a group at a nearby house party, which contained several large men of Pacific Islander appearance.

Matai has said he remembered seeing a man approach, but not the punch that knocked him unconscious for several minutes.

Watmough was left alone to defend his teammate and suffered a badly bruised eye.

Both players were again excused from training yesterday, with Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler predicting a return either tomorrow or Friday. "They are fine physically but still a bit shaken, and that's why we thought it best to give them a few more days off," he said.

"They'll be back on the field at the end of this week."

The Sea Eagles have engaged a lawyer to guide both players through their dealings with police. They have already provided a written statement but are yet to be formally interviewed.

There was speculation yesterday that former Sea Eagle John Hopoate had been asked to assist police in finding the perpetrators, but Lowe said Hopoate was playing no role in the case.

Neither Matai nor Watmough could be contacted for comment yesterday.

Both are angry about the attack but would also be mindful of the strain involved in submitting themselves as prosecution witnesses before a court.

Lowe said he'd been in constant contact with NRL boss David Gallop but had received no request to provide an incident report to the league.

Daily Telegraph

so in other words not entirely "unprovoked"

I think your reading too much into it Dan. In due course I am sure what really happened out there will eventually come out and I hope for the sake of the club, fans and the players themselves involved nothing embarrassing will come of it.

We can at least be thankfull that Brett wasn't there on the night.

I dont think I am reading too much into it.

Right or wrong they somewhat got involved in a dispute between other parties, sure the reaction may have been over the top but would it have happened had nothing been said?

Dan link said:

Right or wrong they somewhat got involved in a dispute between other parties, sure the reaction may have been over the top but would it have happened had nothing been said?

I dont think so. If reports are correct they were not involving themselves in a dispute between other parties. They made an enquiry as to the welfare of one person. Others responded as they did by their own choice.

Im with Gronk on this one. The club (as all others should be) on the front foot in matters where they are confident their players have done nothing illegal.

its about time the cycle of media beat ups are disrupted.

Jatz Crackers link said:
Im with Gronk on this one. The club (as all others should be) on the front foot in matters where they are confident their players have done nothing illegal.

its about time the cycle of media beat ups are disrupted.

clap.gif

clap.gif

claply7.gif

clapping.gif

[img=400x300]http://punxter.com/pics/G/LTLQ.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Dan link said:

Are you suggesting that Steve & Choc just stand there and watch?

Dan link said:

Wow, Dan. Scant information and you've made up your mind.  Based solely on what's reported that is one intergalactic jump in logic to blame them for the attack and to conclude they "provoked" the attack by asking if a crying woman was OK. 

And if you saw a woman crying you'd automatically run away onto the other side of the road scared?

Rex link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=182300.msg249489#msg249489 date=1263947308]

Wow, Dan. Scant information and you've made up your mind.  Based solely on what's reported that is one intergalactic jump in logic to blame them for the attack and to conclude they "provoked" the attack by asking if a crying woman was OK. 

And if you saw a woman crying you'd automatically run away onto the other side of the road scared?
[/quote]

I don't think he's saying they did the wrong thing but you surely have to recognise that in this day and age, if you approach a stranger, there's a pretty good chance you'll get your head kicked in (or have to kick theirs in, depending on how good you are in a fight). That's just life these days.

Duff link said:
[quote author=Rex link=topic=182300.msg249518#msg249518 date=1263961888]
[quote author=Dan link=topic=182300.msg249489#msg249489 date=1263947308]

[/quote]

I don't think he's saying they did the wrong thing but you surely have to recognise that in this day and age, if you approach a stranger, there's a pretty good chance you'll get your head kicked in (or have to kick theirs in, depending on how good you are in a fight). That's just life these days.
[/quote]

Especially when they are of 'pacific islander' appearance

I think Nicci was involved somehow  :eek: Stalking Choc and Matai after hours and putting on a sad face and seeking some attention since snake has been in hiding.

Nicci, did you come down over the weekend and get the boys into strife???

Regardless of what was said it's not right that it translated into a beating.

I think what Dan is trying to point out (and I happen to agree with him) is that when it was first reported it was a totally "unprovoked" attack, i.e. Matai and Choc waiting for taxi at side of road, king hit from behind totally out of the blue and without warning. Fast forward 24 hours and it becomes apparent that there was a 3rd party involved (distressed woman) and that they engaged in some form of dialogue with their attackers. I don't think Dan is trying to justify the "response" to the perceived "provocation", nor is he trying to say that the Manly boys should have "run away scared to the other side of the street". All he is saying is that it wasn't a random blindside attack as first reported.

Spot on Chip & Chase.

As usual Rex has come storming in with his own sense of self importance looking to shed his superiority on all and completely missed the point.

Rex can you point out to me where I said it was Watmough & Matai's fault and that they are to blame?

C&C is 100% correct. Duff to an extent is too

And no wheel I am not suggesting they should just stand there, but there is a difference between "Random unprovoked attack" and "They intervened and told the guy to ease up" is there not?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6