News: Crowd a must for struggling Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>MANLY desperately need a win against Melbourne tomorrow night at Brookvale - but club chief executive Graham Lowe is just as desperate to attract a big crowd.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5025-crowd-a-must-for-struggling-brookie.html">Read the full article</a>

The schedule for games played at Brooky this year have been crap! How many Sunday games have there been? Back in the "good old 70's and 80's", the hill was full mainly due to the games being played on a Sunday arvo.......

"Our crowds have been ordinary this year and you have to wonder why"

Ahem, isn't it your job to know why ...? And to ensure our home games are events that do attract the numbers we need to be successful? I've been one of those keeping an open mind about Lowe as CEO but there are many ways to promote events these days so throwing hands in the air and saying 'I wonder why' is puzzling. Why indeed. 

Crowds have been ordinary because our home performances have been pretty average most of the year.  We have our fair percentage of fair weather fans and if we aint going great I am sure most people can find something better to do then go and watch a lack lustre performance.  You have to admit it isn't the best way to start a night out.  The odd Sunday afternoon games we have had have not exactly been sell out crowds either.  We are not the only club suffering it, look at the panthers when we played them, I have not seen a crowd that size at Penrith in years but they were on fire up until then.  Since they hit their slump their crowds have dropped dramatically.  It is a bit chicken and egg, when the team are going good the crowds increase which in turn helps the boys on the field lift their game.

that and a good lot of Monday games

And to be honest facilities.

I go to a fair percentage of Suncorp games (not every week of course), State of Origin's, Manly games (when they play here), Roosters games (only once in 5 years but one of my good mates is a Roosters fan so I go with him), Panthers games (son in law is a fan)...and in my job I get the occasional offer of a 'corporate seat' (no not a luxury box but a free seat and pre game and mid game drinks and nibbles).

There's hardly a bad seat in the  house (even Bay 317 which are the worst still aren't bad)...plenty of bars, plenty of food outlets, great public transport to and from AND if it rains a lot of seats under cover.

Compare that to my last Brookie experience on a Sunday arvo (v Bronco's), stood on the hill, cold pies, beer cut off after half time and wet as a shag.

It makes for a compelling reason to sit home and watch it on Fox doesn't it??

Don't get me wrong I LOVE the atmosphere at our spiritual home BUT until we have modern facilities I think the crowds will continue to go south!

There's hardly a bad seat in the  house (even Bay 317 which are the worst still aren't bad)...plenty of bars, plenty of food outlets, great public transport to and from AND if it rains a lot of seats under cover.

Compare that to my last Brookie experience on a Sunday arvo (v Bronco's), stood on the hill, cold pies, beer cut off after half time and wet as a shag.

It makes for a compelling reason to sit home and watch it on Fox doesn't it??

Don't get me wrong I LOVE the atmosphere at our spiritual home BUT until we have modern facilities I think the crowds will continue to go south!
[/quote]

That's part of it,Mark.As someone posted on a facebook page,they can't afford to go because of cost.To get a ticket for me and Nicole online(incl fee-even though I print it out),costs upwards of $40;petrol Lithgow to Brookie-$15/20;1 or 2 lite beers-$12;food for 2+soft drink for her-upwards of $12.So,there's about $84 to start with.Then if the game falls at the wrong time of day,there's lunch going down,and dinner going home.If we stay at the travelodge,there's another $130 + parking;extra meals(eg breakfast,and snacks).So,I can only imagine how costly it is for a husband and wife,+2 or 3 kids to get to a day at the footy.

I think cost and poor facilities are a lot to do with.  If someone is going to fork out cold hard cash in the vicinity of $100 (family) they expect a seat and decent toilets etc.

Having said that this year rain and some poor scheduling haven't helped.

There would be a number of factors however playing with a little more steel at your home ground in front of your home fans would go a long way to convincing the marginal supporters to return. We have had one great win at home this year, a good win and a lucky win. In some of the other performances the players have not demonstrated the sort of grit expected from Manly teams when playing at home.
LIFT boys!

how are they going to get crowds next year,if we're playing in Outer Mongolia,and Uzbekistan,or wherever Lowe wants us to play?

I agree with the people bagging the toilets, the beer queues, the beer and pies being the same luke warm temperature etc.

But not everyone wants a seat in a stand, much rather on the hill any day.

One of my mates avoids games where there is no hill, very limiting I know, but it is an example of people having different preferences.

Let's make a deal Lowie . . .
we'll turn up if the players put in.
It's that simple.
If they replicate their performance against Newcastle on Saturday night then the deal is off.

Re cost - one thing, even without having kids myself I'd support is having family prices as quite cheap - espeically with the way GA works. That would keep the ticket cost down for families while the rest of us couples/singles can still pay the reasonable ticket cost.

Its gotta to be better to have two extra paying adults, plus a few cheaper kids in then having none of them.

2 more sunday games (1 so far) and we would ahve a crowd average about 15K in line with the last 5 years or so.

Nothing is wrong with Brookie, everything is wrong with the people who don't go.

It's the best ground in the comp, followed by Leichhardt & I'm keen to see what the new Kogarah is like.

The crowds are down because Northern Beaches people have no ticker. Maybe that's reflected in the players sometimes.

Fire up Biatches!!!

not having a go and Lowie here i think he has no choice but to say this kind of stuff and to look at taking games away from brookie.

However how 12 months changes things

12 months ago one of our owners and the ceo at the time were being accused of exactley the same.

While on lowe i think he deserves credit
it appears we have kept Matai and that was a massive must.
We have a huge following in SE-Q and hes looking at get us in the Suncorp Double header.

People are quick to critise but you have to give credit where its due.

This article is very similar to the kind of stuff Grant Mayer did where he would use the media drum up emotion to get a result.

ads link said:
Re cost - one thing, even without having kids myself I'd support is having family prices as quite cheap - espeically with the way GA works. That would keep the ticket cost down for families while the rest of us couples/singles can still pay the reasonable ticket cost.

Its gotta to be better to have two extra paying adults, plus a few cheaper kids in then having none of them.

3 GAME MEMBERSHIP (GA)
ADULTS $50 = $16.60 per game
CONCESSION & JUNIOR $35 = $11.66 per game
FAMILY $125 = Family of 4 for $41.66 per game

Have a feed before going to the game, take a bag with some chippies and snacks and drinks (in plastic and unopened) for the kids and you have a pretty reasonably priced outing for the family.

I went to the movies the other night and nearly turned tail when they told me the cost of 2 adults and 3 kids (plus a dollar each for plastic glasses to be able to see the 3d in 3d!!!!!)

my first year in 26 years of not attending a game. Why? the boring monotonous way we play. Watching the 2010 games on tele is frustrating, I can't imagine my 2 hour drive home after the crap they perform each week would be like. This years team doesn't offer much enjoyment so to be honest I couldn't be bothered making the long haul. I sat thru some bad years but this years team and the way they play is probably a big factor why fans are not bothering to turn up and watch 80 minutes of the same ole in every play. And no, I went to loads of northern eagles games so sat thru the bad times as well!

We used to have a culture of playing entertaining fotty, I haven't seen much of it yet. More like hope we score, hope they drop the ball and see what happens. The knights game summed up my opinion of 2010. Roll on 2011!

vidmar link said:
[quote author=ads link=topic=184494.msg281921#msg281921 date=1281054622]

3 GAME MEMBERSHIP (GA)
ADULTS $50 = $16.60 per game
CONCESSION & JUNIOR $35 = $11.66 per game
FAMILY $125 = Family of 4 for $41.66 per game

Have a feed before going to the game, take a bag with some chippies and snacks and drinks (in plastic and unopened) for the kids and you have a pretty reasonably priced outing for the family.

I went to the movies the other night and nearly turned tail when they told me the cost of 2 adults and 3 kids (plus a dollar each for plastic glasses to be able to see the 3d in 3d!!!!!)
[/quote]

I took my boy to watch the Shrek film. He's 7. It cost the two of us $55 bucks for 2 tickets, one small popcorn, and a small coke....we shared !

Joke.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4