News: Battle looms for Foran’s signature

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>A YEAR ago 18-year-old Kieran Foran was just another highly promising footballer contemplating a season of improvement in his ambition to play in the NRL with the Manly Sea Eagles.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4499-battle-looms-for-forans-signature.html">Read the full article</a>

Des is the glue. Foran will be stuck to Manly, and his form this year will determine how much we pay him. It also wouldn't hurt if the Roosters have a poor start to the season.

im interested to know where Asquith fits in to school mates, guessing its the Magpies during his school years rather than the High school as when i went there we played union

Hey fluffy...I went to asquith also. I'm sure they played league when I was there.
What year did you leave?

I'll premise this by saying.....I can't see Glen Stewart signing with anybody else.

Along with Watmough, Foran is an absolute key signing. He was terrific last year and I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes with a full season in the top grade.

I know this would be a hugely unpopular statement but I wouldn’t spend anytime developing a young half that there’s a fair chance won’t be there next year – no matter how good he is, I think your better investing your time / money / effort in someone you have for 3 years, so they should either resign him now or look at one of the other young guys that will resign long term.

In the words of our ubiquitous messiah, I mean new CEO.  "If they don't want to be here, see ya". 

Look - if Foran wants to whore himself around - lets find out before the season begins - don't waste our time, resources and/or money on the kid ALA JWH, and play Lyon / Hodkinson in the 1/2's.

Invest in our certain future.

If he wants to play for The Roosters (for whatever reason), then he can clearly just **** off nice and early.

There are many more fish in the sea....and he can wallow in whatever club side he wants this year. Lets hope he ends up like Travis Burns (who, mind you had Thurston to learn from).

Where and when has Foran said he wants to leave?  I haven't read it.  Did I miss something?

I agree with the sentiments of those who say if he doesn't want to wear the maroon and white, then show him the door. It's all hearsay at the moment though so let's see what he can produce for us in 2010 before offering him lots of $$$$.
He must be a poor misguided kid if he want to be a bloody chook.

Why would a half or 5/8 go to the Roosters?  Dont they already have Kearney and Pearce?  Therefore they would have three players into two spots.  Someone would miss out or be shown the door.

Why anyone would play for the wooden spooners is beyond me anyway.

Matabele link said:
In the words of our ubiquitous messiah, I mean new CEO.  \"If they don't want to be here, see ya\". 

hope ya being sarcastic mata. That attitude is ridiculous and out dated. The salary cap regularly forces clubs to give up players, we don't need to give them extra incentive. It is standard business practise now for players to shop around and try to increase their market value, finding out in the process what their true value is. This is the correct and right thing to do. Dinosaurs like Lowe that persist in the RL attitude of "don't like it leave!" are simply creating headlines and unnecessary fan angst against the wrong enemy. IF the league had a proper system of determining player worth (like NBA, NFL, etc) then we wouldn't have powerful player managers doing so many backroom deals. Its the fault of the NRL and not the players that this happens.

**** their must be heaps of people on this forum who are up for long service leave.

To suggest that investing in an employee who MAY leave a company to further their career and search for a higher wage is a waste of time, is very short sighted.

If that were the case we'd all been signing up for the defence force for 7 years to ensure our employers get their money's worth.

clontaago link said:
F**k their must be heaps of people on this forum who are up for long service leave.

To suggest that investing in an employee who MAY leave a company to further their career and search for a higher wage is a waste of time, is very short sighted.

If that were the case we'd all been signing up for the defence force for 7 years to ensure our employers get their money's worth.

Dont agree with you, we will need to invest much time and effort into developing a young 1/2, and you'd be short sighted to think that developing a 1/2 is just going to be a short term thing. It's well known he's looking else where, therefore if your going to blood a new half you should be looking at one you'll have for the long haul.

Disagree too Douggie mate. Any prospective employer actually employs a staff member based on potential. If they live up to potential,  they create incentives for that employee to remain.

No right minded employment firm puts up a person for a role, expecting them to use up as much resources as they can, then **** off, somewhere else.

It's just not a wise investment for the employer, and the employment firm would get a bad name (player manager).

If he's looking to be a whore - **** off imo. I don't want (as a fan) to get attached to another Gary Freeman or Tyrone Smith.

well if mid season he ends up signigning for the Chooks then it would be on the 1st plane to sth queensland for me,

I'm sorry but I don't think any of you understand.
I hear lots of analogies to the real world. ie. what this or that employer would do. No doubt alot of you are small business owners or have slaved for many years like me for big business.

Only problem is guys there is one huge difference between the real world and NRL employment.
In the real world your worth is for most of us predetermined and gradual increase over many years. In NRL it is a fast and furious ride to the top. You either make squillions or your thrown screaming and bleeding on the pile of washed up brickies labourers.

The point I believe Clontaago was trying to make is that in NRL you don't owe your employer jack sh1t. So what if they trained you, fed you and gave you free access to the cheerleaders? big deal, every club HAS to do that, it why they exist, to blood and train. But until a system of establishing ones net worth is put forward, you can bank on players like Foran going for the cash.

And really at the end of the day.. why do any of us really care? Are we interested in protecting the pot of gold for club? For other players? players like Ox? Most of you will say its because you dont want him to take the cash and then bail on us anyway. But thats rubbish and you know it.

These guys play the hardest meanest sport in the world, and we pay them f#$king peanuts!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6