News: ARL slap in the face for Coast

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Just as Manly star Adam Cuthbertson finished wowing the Stockland Park faithful yesterday, Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles chairman Peter Boyce said the region’s league fans should feel personally affronted by the ARL decision which will deprive them of the chance to see such star NRL talent in the flesh.

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4106-arl-slap-in-the-face-for-coast.html">Read the full article</a>

Could this be coming in because of a possible change to the under 20's comp in 2011?

I am not sure they need worry Jethro - the saviour of the game of RL will soon sort it all out:

Ribot linked with Queensland-based takeover of ARL

THE Australian Rugby League is believed to be under siege with Queensland said to be set to take control of the body and scuttle the planned introduction of an independent commission.

The Sun-Herald has been told by trusted sources that John Ribot, one of the architects of Super League, and Queensland Rugby League boss Ross Livermore are ready to ramp up a plan that would result in a QRL-led ARL assuming control of the game.

A group, which includes Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle, has been working on a project to implement an independent commission. Under the commission, the game would be owned by the 16 NRL clubs and the profits would go back into the game.

The commission has been likened in the past to the one that governs the AFL and it is believed News Ltd would be prepared to walk away from league if the ARL - which, among its duties, looks after Origin and international rugby league - follows its lead.

However, if Livermore and Ribot are successful in their ambitions, the ARL would assume 50 per cent control of the game while the clubs would own the remaining half. It is doubtful News Ltd would step aside if that came to fruition.

It's understood any QRL-led ARL would argue a competition run by the clubs would result in the demise of international and Origin rugby league because clubs wouldn't be prepared to compromise their premiership hopes by risking their star players to injury.

It has been suggested Ribot, a former Test winger, would head a QRL-led ARL.

Livermore yesterday denied a takeover plan. "There is nothing going on," he told The Sun-Herald.

"I don't know where that is coming from. The ARL is getting together to form a strategic plan for the future, and it includes the QRL, NSWRL and Country Rugby League regarding our boundaries and structure. Brian Canavan [former Sydney Roosters chief executive] is involved as a consultant.

"Someone has put one and three together and got six."

ARL chairman Colin Love did not return The Sun-Herald's call.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/ribot-linked-with-queenslandbased-takeover-of-arl/2009/07/18/1247865323643.html

In my opinion Ribot is just a born trouble-maker isnt he?

Dan link said:
In my opinion Ribot is just a born trouble-maker isnt he?

I blame him more for the introduction of Superleague than News Ltd's involvement because (in my opinion) it was his plan for the rebel competition in the first place because as CEO of the Brisbane Broncos back then, he thought that his Broncos were getting hard done by from the ARL administration at the time and they more or less told him that if he didn't like the rules he could go and play in his own competition and so he ran to News Ltd.

As far as I'm concerned (and again, these are only my opinions and may not be entirely correct), he nearly killed the game of Rugby League in Australia because of his rebel competition. The game, because of him getting News Ltd involved, still hasn't fully recovered because the profits of the game that should be going to the grass roots of the game are going mainly towards News Ltd coffers and propping up News Ltd owned teams. The game of Rugby League will also never get a good deal from Foxtel whilst News Ltd is half owner of the NRL and a major share holder of Foxtel.

I blame him more for the introduction of Superleague than News Ltd's involvement because (in my opinion) it was his plan for the rebel competition in the first place because as CEO of the Brisbane Broncos back then, he thought that his Broncos were getting hard done by from the ARL administration at the time and they more or less told him that if he didn't like the rules he could go and play in his own competition and so he ran to News Ltd.

As far as I'm concerned (and again, these are only my opinions and may not be entirely correct), he nearly killed the game of Rugby League in Australia because of his rebel competition. The game, because of him getting News Ltd involved, still hasn't fully recovered because the profits of the game that should be going to the grass roots of the game are going mainly towards News Ltd coffers and propping up News Ltd owned teams. The game of Rugby League will also never get a good deal from Foxtel whilst News Ltd is half owner of the NRL and a major share holder of Foxtel.
[/quote]

That is as good a summary as anyone can give Jethro. That is why Ribot is referred to in such loving terms and why the game as a whole keeps struggling.

The game struggles because you have a dickhead in charge called David Gallop.  The concept of superleague was good imo but the egos of Packer and Murdoch ****ed it up.  The problem with growth in the game is a problem directly attributed to the packer controlled 9 network.  They do nothing to promote the game outside their viewing (Sydney) audience.  Try and see a game in Melbourne at an appropriate time.    Supporting league teams in Brisbane, Melbourne and Townsville and Canberra is a good thing.  If the ARL didn't back then, then someone was always going to come in and do it.  Manly should have gone with SL at the time and we wouldn't have been in the trouble we were, and are now in, with regard to money.   

Interesting take DSM5. When 'the war' occurred I was otherwise occupied and not paying overly close attention for various reasons. However when I hear people to this very day go on about how they hate 'super league' because it nearly destroyed Manly - because Manly put all its money into propping up the ARL - I wonder.

Superleague would never have worked. ARL existed and taking over just was never going to happen, it was doomed from the start.

Manly would never have prospered in Super League. After the whole reason Ribot tried to start his own competition, Manly would have always gotten the raw end of the deal

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4