News: 2009 in Review - Manly Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

deadlyeagle

Reserve Grader
<p><strong>Manly Sea Eagles - 5th & Qualifying Finalists

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/4358-2009-in-review-manly-sea-eagles.html">Read the full article</a>

In my opinion a fair summation of the year.

As to the improvment next year......that remains to be seen!!

I think our season came down to three narrow losses.

Warriors - Manly was in front and Stacey Jones kicked ahead and the Warriors got a late try in the last few minutes and won the game.

Titans - the ref's call against Orford being penalised when racing for the ball.  They converted the penalty and won.

Wests/Tigers one point win when Manly failed to get the ball out wide with an opening with just seconds to go.  The movement broke down and the West/Tigers won by a point.

Sure we lost other close games and won a few against the odds - Cronulla at Brookvale comes to mind. But in my opinion these were the three that got away and ruined our chances this year.

Add those six points to our tally it would have put us on 38 points and a shot at the minor premiership.  Or at least a top four finish.

I feel we would have beaten any other team in the playoffs and had a good chance to go back to back.

I doubt even finishing in the top 4 would have helped our cause this year, it would have just delayed the inevitable for another week. We were nowhere near the side that steamrolled through the 2008 finals series.

By the way

Dean Whare (Utility Forward) St George Illawarra Dragons

I thought he was supposed to be a gun centre ?

We will have the personnel to win in 2010 assuming Brett Stewart is available and fit. It is the mental side that will test Des's ability to the max. Winning a comp is like climbing a huge mountain, regaining that desire will be a big task - we couldn't quite do that as a team this year.

We we poor from the start, luck to finish 5th and deserved to be punted from the semi finals in the first week.

We not convincing in any match we played, never dominated any match and were just to damm inconsistent.

I have to agree with Corso on the state of our game this year.  Every game i saw did not have a convincing look about it.  Back to the 'struggle to win' days it was.  Should have, could have, but wouldn't have, is my summation.  The first game of the season was the for-runner of the rest.  First ten minutes good, then the rest either a struggle to win or a loss.  Missing a quality no 1, an out of form no 7 were the key problems.  Lucky to finish 7th.  Eagle-Rock08, having to rely on narrow wins is just not an acceptable strategy. Dominance is the key.

Fluffy link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=181964.msg245048#msg245048 date=1256814145]
My summary - sloppy, lazy rubbish.

Bit harsh Mata, i thought Georgie tried hard most of the season
[/quote]

As did Watmough.

Whatever different mental state Choc was in to get on with the season after the horror start, its a shame the rest of the team (bar Rose) couldnt do the same.

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=Fluffy link=topic=181964.msg245061#msg245061 date=1256847857]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=181964.msg245048#msg245048 date=1256814145]
My summary - sloppy, lazy rubbish.

Bit harsh Mata, i thought Georgie tried hard most of the season
[/quote]

As did Watmough.

Whatever different mental state Choc was in to get on with the season after the horror start, its a shame the rest of the team (bar Rose) couldnt do the same.
[/quote]
I loved it when Choc was interviewed by someone on tv during his DNA freak purple patch, and he was asked what it was that had changed to take his game to such a level. He replied along the lines of 'I really don't know, I'm doing just what I have been for the past few years'. When I heard that I was confident he would eventually resume his usual error rate. Was great while it lasted though.

A finals series that to me lasted 21 seconds.

I hadn't even picked up my coffee and sat down when the Watmough error already put Manly on the back foot. The game was over from there.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7