New Site: Points System, tipping comp and more

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
The new site is being finalised, there are still a number of features I am finishing coding and awaiting a fix on the forum integration that I havent yet been able to dedicate time to. But once the forum is completed I will be making an immediate switch over to the new site, and will finish the back-end coding from there.

Some exciting new things I wanted to tell you about with the new site:

1 - A Points system.
THe points system is designed to increase interaction with the site, you are awarded points for activities such as submitting articles, referring people to the site and they sign-up, reading articles, clicking on banners and a few other activities all earn you various differing levels of points.

The points will go towards various things, this year the main thing they will go to is when you gain a certain level you will gain access to a special forum for members who have either reached the same point level or have contributed to the site, either financially or with other content etc.
After that you will start to earn discounts for next years tipping competition and later when we have merchandise after getting a bit more capital, it will go towards discounts on certain products.

2 - Tipping comp is all but finished, I need to write a few backend things that are of little consequence at the moment, and then need to also complete the leaderboard. Again simple stuff but need to finish it, at this stage it is operational and I will put it on here, if we do not switch to the new site in the next 2 weeks

3 - Twitter, we will be integrating the site with twitter, where certain posts and articles will be linked directly to our twitter account, giving you a chance to follow along on Twitter

4 - Articles are linked to the forums. When a news article is posted to the front page, it is also linked to and partially posted to the forums, this is already running in our mirror and works well. I am also reversing this so forum comments will show up in the article summary too

5- Much much more.

The important thing I want to stress is that Articles and content are the real driving force of the site, and what we really want to focus on going forward, as such we are building a much more interactive site, and keep in mind, that you will lose points from the points system if you post articles directly in the forums rather than through the front page, this is simply to drive everything through the front page rather than the forums, where it is lost to search engines etc.

Dont worry the logins in the new site are 100% integrated

The points will go towards various things, this year the main thing they will go to is when you gain a certain level you will gain access to a special forum for members who have either reached the same point level or have contributed to the site, either financially or with other content etc.
After that you will start to earn discounts for next years tipping competition and later when we have merchandise after getting a bit more capital, it will go towards discounts on certain products.

Sounds like MSE to me :)

yes, in a way it is like MSE but in another way not at all. I don't expect a massive amount of people to obtain that status for at least 2 years, and the forum will be more of a place to talk in private rather than a place to post normal Manly chat.

By financial contributions I mean those that donate to the site in some way, or another. That qualifies me :)

The main focus going forward will be discounts on tipping and merchandise anyway which I think is much more of a reward

Its all good Danno :)

you can enjoy chatting to yourself for the 2 years it takes us mortals to reach Nirvana ;)

Fro link said:
Its all good Danno :)

you can enjoy chatting to yourself for the 2 years it takes us mortals to reach Nirvana ;)

There are some who have already gained access through their help with the new site.

Another I know given their article posting that will reach it within weeks etc. Just depends on how much you want to contribute. Not even all the mods and admins will have access!

Imagine a Matabele free zone :) hahaha

You can buy your way in too

The difference between here and MSE is that at least you know you dont get anything for your money here and I am upfront about that :)

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
whats the web address ?
so we can have a squizz
I will PM it to you, it's not really ready for everyones eyes yet, but I want you especially to get use to using it as I have a feeling you will be posting a lot of news.

Bare in mind I am putting on some finishing touches still

Dan

I :h: the new site. Looks rad. Probably in the top 10 sites i have ever seen.

P.S
Am i in yet?

I dont know that "more grey" qualifies you yet mate :)

Will be hitting you up for some more grey advice tomorrow. I need to make change after I widened it though

looks good
though I experienced a problem after logging in, posting it went to a page not found but when I went back the post etc was there

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
looks good
though I experienced a problem after logging in, posting it went to a page not found but when I went back the post etc was there

Yup the forums are a little buggy, there is also and issue with quoting as well

will need to be fixe before go-live or i will do  staggered release

Corso_Pete link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=179211.msg207530#msg207530 date=1235022908]

Imagine a Matabele free zone :) hahaha

You can buy your way in too

How do I get the Matabele free zone, I am prepared to pay!
[/quote]Post of the week!!! Gold!!!

:)

posting news, reading articles on the front page, referring people to the site, referring people to news articles etc these all get you points, Posting news articles gets you the most points, whether they are unique or not.
Once you have enough points, I am alerted and give you access to the new forum. I haven't set the amount of points you need but it will be around 500 - 1000. I will be setting a price to buy points later.

:)

Mate are you suggesting you get points for posting the same article as someone else already has? That wouldnt be wise would it?

clontaago link said:
Mate are you suggesting you get points for posting the same article as someone else already has? That wouldnt be wise would it?

It's more to make this place a hub for all news, so it's no big deal. But you don't get points if the article has already been posted here

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2