New rules effect on Manly ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Will absolutely dice teams up the middle with this dynamic spine on the back of strong go forward and the most deadly attack from 2nd phase, will now prove even more important....Manly are up there in this regard also.
Defensively hope Manlys big players are not penalised constantly and keep up with the ruck....the importance of good contact from the tacklers will be imperative to contain the speed of the attack and Manly have a few solid contributors in this area.
Can't wait to see how we go Sunday...

The timing of when teams give away 6 again strings will have a huge bearing on games. If a string comes when props are pretty well spent near the end of their stint it will be devastating.

Big guys with a big motor are going to be invaluable and lumbering big guys will be a huge liability. I kinda like the prospect.

Me thinks Jetski for Paseka would be worthwhile insurance on sunday while Des gets a hold of how it is going to play out.

Maybe it is time to gamble with using 6 of the 8 replacements by rotating our star starting props one extra time to keep them fresher for when we inevitably give away or receive a 6 again string.

Two 6 again strings had a HUGE impact on Brisbane's middle defence tonight.

What do you think Des?

Maybe it is time to gamble with using 6 of the 8 replacements by rotating our star starting props one extra time to keep them fresher for when we inevitably give away or receive a 6 again string.

Two 6 again strings had a HUGE impact on Brisbane's middle defence tonight.

What do you think Des?

We all know Des likes to treat the fourth man on the bench like his first dollar - unused and in mint condition, but if the game is going to be faster then he may have to re-think the bench's use.

He could always train the team not to hold down too long but 1) Manly teams seem not to worry about giving away penalties because 2) Refs tend to like pinging them "subjectively".

As I said in some other thread...

I hope the refs only hand out a 6 again for what would be a penalty under the previous rule.
It's still a big advantage for the attacking team and I fear that the rule of "Not a penalty but a six again call" may have some Refs handing them out a liberally because they think the punishment is somehow less.

Time will tell...!

One 6 again is defendable, the killer is a 6 again string. This is what teams need to be schooled against happening. It's almost impossible to contest after getting gassed and the damage done will be terminal.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be another way referees decide the outcome of games by dubious calls.

Fast small middle forwards with big motors will be the new NRL millionares.

We’ve invented a new terminology

“ the six again string”

Absolutely clear in my mind the ones the Eels got early last night destroyed the Broncos and they never really recovered.

There was then another period when the Donkeys defended about 3-4 sets ( another string), the Sqeals didn’t score then but that was the final nails in the coffin.

I don’t think I’ve seen one rule change have so much impact on the game.

PS: is the Captains challenge gone because there wasn’t one from either side last night??

Would be awesome if the new rules saw Tommy back to his under 20s days. I really worry about the "six again strings" against us though. I can see coaches and teams that really benefit from it will be applauding it and ones that get burned will be filthy. Kind of looking forward to Ricky after a six again string at the end of the game goes really bad for the raiders. He won't hold back.
I'll probably agree with what he says, unless it's against Manly. In that case I'll laugh.

Is it compound interest on the six again string?

so if the call is on tackle 3 then they get 9 tackles and so on? Hope so

Originally thought that the six again was only going to apply to excessive holding down [ or ref 's interpretation of ] but seems to include virtually all perceived defending play the ball infringements . Good if it does mainly reduce or virtually eliminate the Storm induced type tactics of slowing down play the balls and open up the game more . should average out for all sides overall even allowing for the limited or possible vagaries or fickleness of some refs . in any case , the competition for starting ref "s appointments should encourage and prompt some consistency and impartial outlooks by the one on field ref . Can hardly reduce the present limited interchange if this does most likely or invariably speed up or increase the tempo of matches though . . Manly has the select type of attacking players to benefit if they get a fair shake with the new rule .

While the demise of the wrestle can only be good ... I have never been convinced that a faster game is always a better game .... and after last night I a still not sold ... I know it is early days and teams will adjust ....

But for mine it is all a bit too frantic and a lot less skillful ....

'Optimistic'.
Reffing inconsistencies probably even out over a 20 year period but not in any given season, let alone match!!
Just have to wait and see . V" Landys does genuinely have the game"s best interests of the game at heart and as one of his main priorities to try and get it right with playing guidelines so will be very partial to any fine tuning or adjustments if seems required .

I would give my left nut to have Api back .... he will rip and tear defences to pieces .....
Let "s not overlook that Levi is no slouch in the nippy or ruck speed department either Also showed signs of matching Api "s effective tackling against the Chooks so am hopeful that he will still prove a good asset . Croker has reasonable speed of the mark too and solid defence , and could also prove quite useful there [ well hopefully and injury free ]

Let "s not overlook that Levi is no slouch in the nippy or ruck speed department either Also showed signs of matching Api "s effective tackling against the Chooks so am hopeful that he will still prove a good asset . Croker has reasonable speed of the mark too and solid defence , and could also prove quite useful there [ well hopefully and injury free ]

No slight on Levi ... just a wrap on how I believe Api will go ....

While the demise of the wrestle can only be good ... I have never been convinced that a faster game is always a better game .... and after last night I a still not sold ... I know it is early days and teams will adjust ....

But for mine it is all a bit too frantic and a lot less skillful ....
Tend to think that a fast game is a good game and with limited interruptions and can even provide more scope for skill in the process . Manly have quite good speed and mobility in their present start up 17 . Even the back up "s like Jet Ski . Hamole , Elliot , Funa , Young Hoppa [ when fit ] Schuster , and Boyle have decent pace in their respective positions . Could still prove a plus for Manly with the altered ruck rules .

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4