• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
After 4 rounds and a bit of a look at the new forwards, what do folks reckon?

A few thoughts:
Lawrence: big tick, looking like the very model of a modern front row machine + a bit of finesse: stay out of the judiciary son!
Horo: tick
Faaoso: tick; use your arms mate.
Gower: want to tick, pen hesitating over the box. just hold onto that pill
Symonds: big tick: stay healthy son!

strange that buhrer has been dislodged onto the subs bench again, but who could argue with starting symonds? buhrer's utility value is probably going to keep him a permanent backrower/inside back sub.

with g stewart to come back, and the existing forwards still doing the business, and the younger ones yet to break into first grade, we are looking good for this season in the engine room. Good bounce back after losing the 3 guys last year. Good job tooves, fitness coaches and recruiting.

all great signings and going well. Definitely the new blood we needed. Lawrence and Richie alone has really got the team pumped.

It's great recruiting by 2V and his team as the changing of the guard is happening. These guys get to play with Kite,King,Joe and are learning the culture from them before they leave. We are in good hands for the future.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
I've stated a few times in different threads that ditching T-Rex for the new boys is a damn fine investment: 4/5 players that put in versus one lazy oxygen thief is such a massive win for us!

I'd even go so far as to say that the one ranked lowest of our newbies (Gower IMHO: he tried hard but failed a bit early) is better on-field value than the big sook! Obviously Tooves has seen something in Gower that perhaps we've only yet seen glimpses off with a couple of sparkling off loads on the weekend?

Overall, whilst the "experts" have panned our premiership potential this year citing "lack of depth"(?!!?), I reckon that in the engine room we are as strong as I've seen in a while especially considering we've had Princess back for just one game and no Gift at all yet.... and I don't reckon ANY team has beaten us in the pigs yet.

Edit: as an ex front-rower I tend to feel that forwards are where most games are won; not in the flashy stuff but in the hard work gaining yards and the brutal defense that has opposition teams hurting all game.... I'll never forget the punch line to a joke that one Fred Teasdale told me many years ago: "backs are just blokes that hang around footballers" hehe :)

All have been good buys IMO. Gower showed some glimpses the other night with some nice off loads. Yesterday in NSW Cup I gulped when he dropped the ball in his first hit up. He then settled down to play a strong game.

All the new guys are going well, when comparing what they are producing compared to the fella they have replaced it shows how important that perception can be in judging an effort

Fluffy said:
They replaced Lussick, Harrison and Robinson as well as she-rex

True. If we look at the numbers produced this weekend, Horo was extremely quiet compared to what we used to get stats wise from the man in that position but he is going ok

Kiwi Eagle said:
Fluffy said:
They replaced Lussick, Harrison and Robinson as well as she-rex

True. If we look at the numbers produced this weekend, Horo was extremely quiet compared to what we used to get stats wise from the man in that position but he is going ok

Horo provides as much value off the ball, as with his involvement with ball in hand. His willingness to run ugly, tough lines is opening up a lot of space for our outside backs.

That's not a trait you see too much from Gifty, so stats wise it's not a fair comparison.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Stewart returns and how his style fits into the current patterns we're seeing on the RHS.

Horo isn't playing on Stewarts side mate

I'm completely happy with Horo's work. His game last week from 80mins was 58m and 18 tackles. It isn't as productive as the guy we had there last year however, who if he produced those numbers would be hammered. I guess that's what I am meaning by perception

Injury free, Tom Symonds will end up being our best signing since Jamie Lyon (discounting the crop that came through U20s, namely DCE)

The Bulldogs kennel are questioning T-Rex's heart and seemingly no idea how to play. One guy said far out, he cost 500k and there was a reply saying 650k, he nearly cried. Comments like hangs out in the backs, gets in the way, doesn't break the line, not interested, so big but doesn't use his size. Sounds familiar??

Trex has made a hell of a lot of money off the back of about 6 good games at the end of 2011 - good on him I reckon especially iot is the bulldogs who are now paying for him

anthonyb1965 said:
What the hell is all this "pig" talk??? Sorry, not up with this??

my understanding is that it's a military term "pigs" or "grunts" being those that do the hard work up front or the dirty stuff.

I think it's a rugby union term describing their second rowers. Haven't heard it in league circles.

No, it's a rugby league term that simply means forwards.

We have one of the best sets of pigs in the comp. Possibly Souths could argue theirs are even better but i'll keep ours.

Sorry: my D grade coach used to call us forwards the pigs back in the 70s.
I like komori's gloss the best about backs being those blokes who hang around with footballers....

frankly am hoping t-rex is not reading the forums here, or dessie isn't printing them out for the dressing room wall. If 'aroused' the guy could murder just about any defensive line.

But overall I think our pack has that youth, experience, and new recruits looking to impress mixture that is really ideal.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6