New Manager

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Lyonstomenzies

Bencher
Premium Member
Advertisement
Former Manly hooker and retired cop Charlie Haggett named Sea Eagles new football manager
October 28, 2015 - 6:43PM
1446018217452.jpg

DECENT

Former Manly player and retired police officer Charlie Haggett has been appointed the Sea Eagles' new football manager and believes the club is not far from finding the form which saw it reach four grand finals in seven years.

A hooker for Manly in the 1980s, Haggett joined the police force and made his way up as a superintendent in the Hunter Valley. He has also worked with the Melbourne Storm this year and always had ambitions of getting back into rugby league in some capacity.

"It [working at the Storm] ignited the passion in me to be involved in rugby league again at the highest level and when the opportunity presented at Manly, I couldn't wait to get involved," Haggett said. It's clear Sea Eagles are taking a new direction with the appointment of new coach Trent Barrett in place of Geoff Toovey, something Haggett was eager to be involved with. Asked whether the Sea Eagles had lost their mojo, Haggett said there were solid foundations in place to restore Manly to their former glory days and help them become finals contenders once again.

Advertisement
"I don't think we're that far off being where they were [in the past]," Haggett said. "This year they had significant injuries at crucial times, but certainly my role is to contribute to the direction the club wants to move in. Obviously being a powerhouse in the NRL is the ultimate goal for anyone, so I'm certainly looking forward to that being achieved."

Meanwhile, Warringah Council has passed a motion agreeing to forgive Manly some of the debt it owes them for the hiring of Brookvale Oval, but says until the club pays its money, the Sea Eagles will not play another game of football there. Manly owe Warringah Council $375,000 plus a dollar per ticket which works out to be about another $30,000. The Sea Eagles have failed to pay their rates because they believe the ground hasn't been maintained to proper standards.

No discussions will be made about 2016 rates until this season's impasse has been resolved, something Warringah Council would prefer to see happen sooner than later. "They have no agreement to play next year," a council spokesperson said. "They're selling tickets, they're telling everyone they can come to seven games at Brookie but they have no licence to play at Brookie. They spend hundreds of thousands of dollars paying out Toovs [coach Geoff Toovey] and everything else, but they wont pay the community for the use of a community facility. It should be seen as an olive branch - we want them to play next year, we want to break this impasse and hopefully it will work."

Manly officials say the club has not been informed of the decision made at a council meeting on Tuesday evening. "We're waiting on contact from the council," a Manly spokesperson said. "We're not in position to make any comments until we have received something formally."

That's bloody ironic I was watching a game after work today and it was manly v Parra round 3 1988 we put 64 on them . Hooker was my mate mal Cochrane then enter Charlie haggett who had a blinder also cliffy cut them up.

My memory of that day is Charlie taking a pass from Crusher Cleal and scoring a great try that started the avalanche that buried the whinging worms on their own patch and ranks right up with our greatest away wins. I remember their fans pissing off with 15 to go, priceless!

Reading further on I am concerned that the club has still not sorted out its problems with the council. Right now there is a campaign asking members to renew their season tickets and as I write this the council have said that there is not football until this is sorted. So effectively the club is not in a position to guarantee that matches will be played at Brookvale in 2016. This is a big concern for all of us. I still want to know the draw and whether we play at Brookvale before I renew.

Welcome back Charlie! Good to see one of our most honest and decent players involved.

Council shmouncil, they'll work it out after some huffing and puffing.

The NRL must guarantee there will be a Manly presence in the comp.
The two stadia policy is patently absurd given Sydney's geography and public transport issues. Council wants and needs to do a deal, the club needs a decent ground, a state trust is the obvious solution, it's time the NRL threw its weight behind this option.
The Sea Eagles are far too famous and important a brand for the game to do anything else.
This is not like Leichhardt, Redfern, Belmore, or Kogarah, we are in a totally different area and there is no comparison.

Those hammering the Penns might consider turning their attention to the NRL fat cats and start demanding their support.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
What exactly does the football manager do and who was sacked from the position this year?
Thanks in advance.

What exactly does the football manager do and who was sacked from the position this year?
Thanks in advance.
Thanks in advance? Sorry B E it is poor form to thank people in advance.

So… when they provide the help you needed, you don't have to thank them - because you have already thanked them in advance??

What if you abuse people in advance for leaving you high and dry? Maybe I am old-fashioned but what's wrong with please and thank you?.

"Can anyone help with this query? And I know you won't so you can all get f**ed."

Sorry, this is a modern trend that is fundamentally flawed. If someone helps you , thank them.

To thank beforehand is presumptuous and diminishes the act of assistance, sheesh, let's keep it real considering it's the off season. ;)

Thanks in advance.

Steve Gigg

One of the most important jobs in the football department, the list of jobs would be a mile long , but the organisation of the teams movements , accommodation is the primary role.

A huge job let me tell you, and it's a lot more than just that.

By the way hugely respected by the players, Giggy will be missed by the boys and Charlie has bloody big shoes to fill.

Steve Gigg

One of the most important jobs in the football department, the list of jobs would be a mile long , but the organisation of the teams movements , accommodation is the primary role.

A huge job let me tell you, and it's a lot more than just that.
Thanks Mark. Thought it might have been Steve Gigg.

So… when they provide the help you needed, you don't have to thank them - because you have already thanked them in advance??

What if you abuse people in advance for leaving you high and dry? Maybe I am old-fashioned but what's wrong with please and thank you?.

"Can anyone help with this query? And I know you won't so you can all get f**ed."

Sorry, this is a modern trend that is fundamentally flawed. If someone helps you , thank them.

To thank beforehand is presumptuous and diminishes the act of assistance, sheesh, let's keep it real considering it's the off season. ;)
Sorry to offend, in present and past tense.

• 😆
Reactions: Rex
Charlie was along the lines of Matty - reliable workhorse that was essential to allow the creative players their platform. :)
A welcome addition to pass on the Manly culture to the newly gathered Staff and Players.
Charlie should be a good man manager and a good portion of the team would never have met Giggsy @:cool:

The quote from the Council is concerning - especially the 7 home games part , should Manly clear their debt :confused:
Every reserved seated package has a 10 game cost @:cool:

Next week the pre season kicks off, but I fear that all the news will be about our lack of facility :mad:

Did anyone notice the bit about Manly are telling everyone they are playing SEVEN games at Brookie next year?

When did the figure of 7 get mentioned?

Memberships for next year were based on 10 games at Brookie. @:oops:
Yeah that council spokesperson may have ****ed up and released some confidential info.

WTF?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4