New Laptop

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Clint

Premium Member
Tipping Member
Hey Guys,

we are looking at updating our 5yo laptop.
My wife is mainly going to be using it for studying. (word, excel, power point etc) and internet.
I will be using it solely for perusing this site.
Kids will be using it for occassional surfing.
We will not be using it for gaming.

We have narrowed it down to a Ci5, as I dont think we'll need a Ci7.
We were initially looking at a HP but are now leaning towards a Toshiba.
Would appreciate thoughts and feedback.

Just get the cheapest one that suits your needs. The ci7 is a bit better future proofed but really I still use an old dell laptop for doing silvertails development and my work one is only a year old.

My advice on computers is always the same the most expensive one will suit your needs just as much as the cheapest one. Most of us just use it for surfing and general office duties, that uses the smallest fraction of your computers power so don't waste money

Laptops are about 2 years behind their desktop counterparts

I spent $1k on basically the fastest thing i could get my hands on (rated 3rd fastest at time of purchase)

I've always found dell's pretty good and cheaper than a lot of others as you buy them online.

Search online for a coupon and get it for even less moolah.

Then I arrived in Canada and saw that we pay bucketloads more for anything electrical in good ol sunny australia.

damn you gerry harvey!

Anyway - I use Dell, and have a HP touchpad, seems most work fine.

As Dan said, depends on your use, emails, excel, writing, and inet surfing for me with some games so my needs (computer-wise) are easy to satisfy.

If you have friends in hong kong or even north America get them to get prices for you, even with dell. My company orders all their computers from dell north America and then reship to australia. Works out cheaper

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4