New coach for Cronulla - 2022

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member

Craig Fitzgibbon has all-but agreed to coach the Cronulla Sharks in 2022, waiting on a commitment from the club in regards to his coaching staff for next season.

The Herald understands Fitzgibbon notified the Sydney Roosters of his intention to take up the role with Cronulla from next season and will sign a three-year deal worth between $1.5m -$1.8m.

Ok... I feel I click-baited.

Of course the article says Craig agrees...

click

"all-but" agreed

this is why I don't pay for their articles.

Anyway...I'm now going to post it all!!!! TAKE THAT smh

Sharks coach John Morris has had several approaches for an extension knocked back by the club, who look set to move in a different direction at the end of the year and potentially earlier if some at the club get their way.

Fitzgibbon, a Roosters life member, turned down approaches from the New Zealand Warriors and St George Illawarra Dragons last year after promising Trent Robinson and Nick Politis that he would not leave his role as the club’s assistant coach before the end of the 2022 season.

Fitzgibbon, who lives in Gerringong on NSW’s south coast, now wants a commitment from the Sharks that he will be given complete autonomy over the make up of his staff before putting pen to paper. He also wants to meet face-to-face with Sharks officials before inking the deal.

Fitzgibbon’s manager David Riolo has been in discussions with the Sharks for the past four months. Fitzgibbon notified senior Roosters officials of his desire to sign with Cronulla over the past 48 hours.

The former Dragons and Roosters backrower has been doing his homework on the club in recent months, including the systems around the club’s junior pathways and lower grade talent and believes it is the right job to start his career as a head coach.

It had been reported that the Sharks have given Morris until round eight or nine before determining his future, however it appears the club has known for months that it will not extend the coach’s tenure despite back-to-back finals appearances in his first two seasons as an NRL coach.

Had the Sharks informed Morris that they would not be extending his contract, they would have had to pay him out and find another coach for 12 months if he pulled the pin.

Some at the club hope Morris will continue until the end of the season to avoid a messy break-up as they look to bounce back from a heart-breaking loss to the Roosters at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Saturday night. However there are also others who believe the club should consider parting ways with Morris immediately.

Morris is the lowest paid coach in the NRL on a deal worth around $350,000 a season, with Fitzgibbon paid around $300,000 as the highest paid assistant coach in the NRL for his role at the Roosters.

The Sharks have refused to enter talks with a number of off-contract players, including Shaun Johnson, Aaron Woods, Matt Moylan and Josh Dugan as they decide on who will lead the club over the next few seasons.

Fitzgibbon is regarded alongside Penrith assistant coach Cameron Ciraldo as the best young assistants in the game, proving themselves as the defensive coaches of the Sydney Roosters and Penrith Panthers respectively.

$300 000 as an assistant coach at the Roosters. Why would he want to leave? I would stay for as long as I could for such a cushy gig...too much pressure as a head coach these days.
Even at $600k a year he’s not exactly highly paid is he ( compared to others ).

F... the media.

Cronulla powerbrokers will meet with John Morris's management on Monday in what looms as a critical juncture in the ongoing saga around the Sharks coaching post.

Cronulla CEO Dino Mezzatesta denied a report on Sunday that the club is closing in on highly rated Roosters assistant Craig Fitzgibbon to replace Morris in 2022.

Morris's agent Chris Orr is due to meet with Mezzatesta on Monday, with the club having anticipated a call on the Sharks coach within the next fortnight.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported Fitzgibbon has all but agreed to a three-year deal to take charge from next season, but Mezzatesta denied any agreement has been reached.

$300 000 as an assistant coach at the Roosters. Why would he want to leave? I would stay for as long as I could for such a cushy gig...too much pressure as a head coach these days.
Didn't the NRL clamp down on coaching budgets? If so, what effect has it had?
How can any club afford to hire Bellyache, Bennett, Gould etc as a "coaching Director" over the top of the already well-paid coaching staff?

I feel for Morris. Took over from Flanagan in difficult circumstances, with Dugan, Moylan, Johnson and Fifita on massive dollars and performing horribly. Deserves more I reckon.
Fitzgibbon will no doubt bring the roosters culture and philosophy to the sharks and none of these players will be at the club in 2022

Fitzgibbon will no doubt bring the roosters culture and philosophy to the sharks and none of these players will be at the club in 2022
I get that, but Morris gets served nothing but a sht sandwich and actually handles it really well, all for nothing. All things considered, Morris has done really well given the roster he was lumped with. Fitzgibbon may well do better, but he will be handed a more settled club and a cheque book with $4m+ to spend. Ie, the complete opposite circumstances to what Morris is being judged on. I understand the cut throat nature of professional sport, but my point is mostly that I have a lot of empathy for Morris in his situation. I hope he finds a success elsewhere.

I feel for Morris. Took over from Flanagan in difficult circumstances, with Dugan, Moylan, Johnson and Fifita on massive dollars and performing horribly. Deserves more I reckon.
If Morris was responsible for bringing in Josh Dugan, in particular, he deserves what he gets. Talk about a certifiable d@$*head! Unfortunately he inherited Fifita so you can't judge him too harshly there...

If Morris was responsible for bringing in Josh Dugan, in particular, he deserves what he gets. Talk about a certifiable d@$*head! Unfortunately he inherited Fifita so you can't judge him too harshly there...
Dugan first signed for Cronulla for the 2018 season. Morris’ first season as head coach was 2019. All of Dugan, Fifita, Moylan, Johnson and Woods were ‘inherited’

Dugan first signed for Cronulla for the 2018 season. Morris’ first season as head coach was 2019. All of Dugan, Fifita, Moylan, Johnson and Woods were ‘inherited’
Poor fella didn't stand a chance, although I wouldn't put Woods in with the others...

Morris has done a good job, unlucky to be sacked based on his results.

Let’s see how many high profile signings the sharks get now, this is the reasoning they have used.

Even the Sharks, for so long the butt of our jokes, won"t tolerate mediocrity for too long.
At least we are 15th and ahead of Trent though!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2