Announcement Need your thoughts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi all,

I am about to recover the data from the old server and try and recover a few posts too.

I now have a choice stay back on the old server provider who have been good over the years or make the switch to stay on the ones we are on now. Would love your thoughts on this.

Dan

Your call as you are the one suffering in the middle of the night :nerd:

PS Check that that Rorters Supporter hasn't got your root password - she might be undercover to drive Silvertails crazy :giggle:

Is there a cost involved?

Ease of use?

The stability of the old server seemed better but you are in a better position to judge that.

Des thought he had selection issues !!!

In your gut you know which way you need to go. But I am sure unlike team selection whichever way you go will have 100% support...

For me a half second or two in download speed makes sweet FA difference compared to to server stability and reliability. The last month has been a punish on here, even moreso for you I suspect. Whatever gets rid of the freezing, the double posts, the outages etc gets my vote - if I have to wait a half second longer for a page to load who cares.

For me a half second or two in download speed makes sweet FA difference compared to to server stability and reliability. The last month has been a punish on here, even moreso for you I suspect. Whatever gets rid of the freezing, the double posts, the outages etc gets my vote - if I have to wait a half second longer for a page to load who cares.
Does it seem any slower though or about the same?

New one seems good so far. I guess you would be the better judge of what works best . Especially if it means less work for you mate. Most of us are just happy to have this site to visit.

It has been super slow the last week or so, sometimes taking over 5 mins to load a post or refresh or even acess the site.

Today has been the fastest for me for a while to open the web site and post.

Does it seem any slower though or about the same?
If you mean right now - then it seems fine today. No issues for me and if this was to be the standard moving forward then no complaints from me in terms of speed.

Your choice @Dan, I guess you have to weight up associated costs and time spent and overall benefit of migrating to a new server.

Maybe you can ask the provider for a discount due to the ongoing issues?

As for performance, I'm not noticing any difference.

I have issues getting on somedays of late, all I ask is for stability.
Nothing worse than not getting my silvertails fix for 24 hours.

I think you need to try out a few so we can make a more informed choice.

Can't be that hard to do surely?

(lol)

I'll say this one seems good, so you can go back to the old suppliers,which wasn't too bad (except over the last few weeks) tell them about this thread, and get a discount so you'll stay.

The reliability this year had been horrid with the server falling over we are on a more lightweight server now on Singapore but ultimately tuned better so want to see how it stands up this weekend

Both the reliability and speed have not been good this year. I can't recall the site being down more than in the last couple of months. Its working fine at the moment.
Having said that, @Dan you're the one who suffers the pain of maintaining the site and you're the expert, so whatever works best for you is fine by me.
Like others, I just really appreciate all that you do for us so we can have our fix :clap:

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2