My Dally M theory

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mosto

I have a well known member
Premium Member
While the Dally M is a nice individual recognition, it's not something you want one of your players to win. The Dally M Awards have been running since 1980. In that time, only 5 winners have gone on to claim a premiership that year. Ray Price '82, Mick Potter '84, Peter Sterling '86, Craig Gower '03 and Matt Orford '08.

If one player is collecting the large majority of points for their team, that team is relying heavily upon one person, and more often than not that ain't gonna win you a premiership.

RE: My Dall M theory

Glenn Stewart could easily have won the award last night and if he did would that have meant we have relied too much on him this season?

It doesn't mean you're a 1 man team. It just means that more often than not 1 player was the best on field.

RE: My Dall M theory

Masked Eagle said:
Glenn Stewart could easily have won the award last night and if he did would that have meant we have relied too much on him this season?

I'm biased but I think that would have been the exception. It's not a hard and fast rule, just an opinion. Johns, Thurston, Hayne, Carney...all Dally M winners whose teams looked very average without them.

Fonz said:
It doesn't mean you're a 1 man team. It just means that more often than not 1 player was the best on field.

Which sounds suspiciously like the definition of a one man team ;)

Bull**** it does, the best out of 13 excellent players is a damn side more effective as a team than the best out of 13 mediocre or poor ones.

Both of which are the best on the field.

My Theory on theories, a load of crap :)

My theory is

Cam smith 3 dally m, that's one for every contract he signed
Billy Slater 2 dally m's thats one for every contract he signed.

Cambo said:
My theory is

Cam smith 3 dally m, that's one for every contract he signed
Billy Slater 2 dally m's thats one for every contract he signed.

I think you will find Billy Slater was the only high profile Melbourne player to have signed just the one contract.

Fro said:
Bull**** it does, the best out of 13 excellent players is a damn side more effective as a team than the best out of 13 mediocre or poor ones.

Both of which are the best on the field.

My Theory on theories, a load of crap :)

No doubt, but with the salary cap, who has 13 excellent players?

Let's forget theories and deal in facts. Why do 5 out of 6 Dally M medallists fail to go on and win the comp?

Because there's only a 1 in 8 chance that their team will do it (assuming the Daly M player places in the top 8).

in 1999, Trent Barret from St George won it and that team were in the finals. Same with Thurston in 2005, Smith in 2006, Hayne in 2009 and Carney last year.

So of the last 11 awards (no award for 2003), one Daly M winner won the premiership (1/11) and the Daly M's winner side have made the GF six times (6/11).

1/8 * 11 = 1.375 (this is how many times we should expect the winner of the Daly M award to win the Premiership). Its only happened once, but more than half of the Daly M winners have made it to the GF.

Based on these facts, I would argue that the teams that make the GF are not one man teams, and that reality is similar to what we should be expecting statistically.

Fair enough, my theory has been shot down in flames. Happy to admit it :D

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4