MWTS - Version of the season launch (Thanks?)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

vidmar

Bencher
Here’s the highlights of the season launch (read slowly Mata s & Jatz so you can keep up?)

The Harbord Diggers hosted it under tight security (allegedly... as I got in through a fire exit?)...Lots of “A” lister’s and the usual faces. But a big turn out of maybe 300/400 there.

For the fashion monitors...It was a varied dress code (From board formal to “whatever, ....I’ve been sitting on the Hill for 40 years without wearing a suit”...”) there...I was in a suit & club tie so no one recognised me and thought I was “official” (Can’t believe so many people thought I was going to an interview or thought I was taking the heat off Brett...?)

MC’s were Wendy Harmer and Tim Freedman (from the Whitlam’s) who were both brilliant in playing to the partisan crowd.

Tim interviewing the players was a highlight (Actually Tim was very good and is very keen to be included in the MWTS trip to Cronulla...).

Big “in the spotlight” moment for our new CEO so we waited with baited breath...

No surprises  to readers here, I was asking people to see what he had to offer as you will all know I am supportive of the “new boy” BUT....a great speech, from the heart and no cue cards.

I tried to have a chat with him at the fan day a couple of weeks ago and to be honest I found it hard work...I must admit I had my concerns despite being vocal in “let’s give him a chance....?” posts and general discussions with other mates/fans.

Privately, I reserved judgement and felt he deserved a chance....However, after tonight I’m happy to say that what he may lack in formal qualifications/track records etc.  he more than makes up for in passion, old school values and a desire for the best for our club.

He talked a lot of sense and appealed to many with his values of work ethics, loyalty and the importance of the club’s role in the community.

There will be those reading this that know me personally and my passion for all that is good for the club so for what it’s worth he has me on side as he talked a lot of sense and for the time being I am happy to go on record saying he appears to be a good thing for our club.

Of particular interest were the appearances of Manly Mayor Jean Hay (for those that don’t know she is also the sister of Arko) and Warringah Mayor Michael Reagan.....plus a number of other Warringah councillors.

For locals you will appreciate the importance of this, for those who are out of town...there is a lot in the local press about certain sections of the local council being effectively “anti sea eagles”.

Mayor Hay was almost in tears in her support for the club and to quote Mayor Reagan “The nonsense from certain parts of my fellow councillors to relocate the Sea Eagles from Brookvale is complete BullS**t” fills me with a certain amount of confidence that the loony 3 are working alone.

The rest is classified under the “Goes on tour” Legislative aspects of the MWTS code of conduct....

Vidmar

Re: MWTS - Verion of the season launch

You missed the most important part.  Were there free sandwiches? 

Also:

Was there a roped off section for FC Board members? 

Were the players sober? 

Did Choc and Bullet keep their hands to themselves? 

Was the lingerie model (sponsor's daughter) there to try and get some more limelight and a Zoo Weekly contract?

What is a Verion?

What we do know is Lowe will work well for the over 50s with his picket fence sentiments on work ethic and loyalty.  ;)

Thanks Vid - and remind me - why am I such a slacker and never attend these events? I always become very envious reading the travelling supporter and function stuff !

I gotta learn to get off my arse !

I'm just depressed is all. Put my bike in to get its 1st service...wait for it...on Wednesday....I get it back next Monday - MAYBE ! But that's cool, I pick up my (cough, cough - sorry Danners) new arcade machine next Saturday ! Hehehehe

Matabele link said:
You missed the most important part.  Were there free sandwiches? 

Also:

Was there a roped off section for FC Board members? 

Were the players sober? 

Did Choc and Bullet keep their hands to themselves? 

Was the lingerie model (sponsor's daughter) there to try and get some more limelight and a Zoo Weekly contract?

What is a Verion?

What we do know is Lowe will work well for the over 50s with his picket fence sentiments on work ethic and loyalty.  ;)

Evengly All...

In answer.....No roped off section but I did leave the "arena" to go the "VIP" area and I was "Challenged"on the way back but I bluffed them that I was Manly Backer so no dramas,

Free bar and Gifty never even got a round in so I'm guessing they were happy to go home for the cans in the fridge?

Never seen Choc & Bullet..... I tried to look amongst the bevvy of beauties that my tie and wanted to meet the kids but to no avail...

There is an apparent incoherence in vidmar's prose tonight.  Did he come within 100 metres of Max' platinum card?  ;)

On a serious note, of course the players were on their best behaviour tonight and I doubt much was said about it in the lead up to tonight.  They would have needed no reminding that they'd be under heavy scrutiny and it seems the lessons of last ear have been learned.

Correct Mata - re players, they went home on a bus except Brent K who's wife is full term so he hot footied on his home straight after in his our car.

I took a taxi to North Curly (ask any one....even the Manly Daily....?)

Sounds like it was fun Vid...Ryan you slacko you should be coming to NZ with us, there's almost 60  going so and surely you'd find someone you'd like???

Partaking of the free sandwiches would have really helped slow the effects of the alcohol you know. 

Yan can't afford it he bought a ducatti and his son hates me for breaking his pc

vidmar link said:
Here’s the highlights of the season launch (read slowly Mata s & Jatz so you can keep up?)
Vidmar

Trouble with that is if we sat down & read one of your elongated posts slowly we might drop off, totally miss out on retirement & find ourselves in a nursing home.

Here a tip though to make them shorter. Start by leaving out your Vidmar signature. Since your username is Vidmar your sig is superfluous dont you think.

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=vidmar link=topic=182547.msg253308#msg253308 date=1267782798]
Vidmar

Trouble with that is if we sat down & read one of your elongated posts slowly we might drop off, totally miss out on retirement & find ourselves in a nursing home.

Here a tip though to make them shorter. Start by leaving out your Vidmar signature. Since your username is Vidmar your sig is superfluous dont you think.
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with vidmar's post, get rid of the guys having the motorbike love in.

Sober Sea Eagles ensure they have better memories of this season launch
GLENN JACKSON smh.com.au

THERE were parallels with last year: a Friday afternoon deep in Manly territory, a stone's throw from the beach and just days after the NRL's own season launch. Instead of toasting their premiership campaign with beer and champagne on tap, Manly's players largely shunned the alcohol.

''There was a great feeling,'' Manly chairman Scott Penn insisted.

Which was, in truth, another similarity to the club's infamous season launch last year, when the players celebrated their grand final win over Melbourne and a World Club Challenge victory over Leeds. Players drank freely at the Manly Wharf Hotel, and by the end of the night, Anthony Watmough had been in an altercation with a sponsor and Brett Stewart had been arrested over an alleged sexual assault - from which charges still hang over his head.

While that cloud lingers over Stewart, the club insists it has moved on from the tumultuous period, and while Stewart was clearly jittery about much of the attention being on him yesterday, Penn said the launch yesterday was about ''focusing forward''.

''It's pretty apparent that we didn't want a repeat of last year,'' Penn said. ''As soon as the finals were finished, 2009 was done and dusted. This was all about focusing on 2010. [What happened last year] wasn't even mentioned today.''

The club's 2010 launch was held at the less glamorous Harbord Diggers, but Penn was at pains to say that it was not an alcohol-free event, and the players were entitled to drink if they wished. ''The players were abundantly aware of their responsibilities, as players and also as employees,'' Penn said. ''We've got a strong code of conduct, and they know the consequences if they're not meeting the code. We don't need to tell them [about their responsibilities].

''They're their own men, and they can make their own decisions. We don't have to treat them like children. They should be able to make their own decisions, and that was evident [yesterday] … there was a great feeling. We're all very much focused on what we should be focusing on, and that's footy.

''Culturally, we've had a very good track record in the past, apart from a blip. Culturally, we never really had an issue. It was a one-off.''

And it was one that cost them dearly, cruelling much of their season.

Last year's launch was set against a stormy backdrop of the two warring owners - Penn and Max Delmege, who, it could be said, were like two separated parents competing for the affection of their children by handing out gifts. The players enjoyed free grog all afternoon, and by nightfall, the club was well on its way to disaster.

Sponsors and supporters were again invited yesterday, with singer Tim Freedman interviewing players including captain Jamie Lyon, who this week re-signed until the end of 2013, Jason King, and Kieran Foran. Significantly, a woman, Wendy Harmer, compered the proceedings. Sea Eagles chief executive Graham Lowe, who joined the club well after their much-publicised horrors of last year, said yesterday's launch ''delivered a message that everyone's proud of''.

''I'm only focusing on what we can do now,'' Lowe said. ''And I'm really happy with the result. ''The players were treated with respect, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The players all want to do the right thing, and it was a good example [yesterday].''

Nothing wrong with motorbikes TE, I have a Triumph (not as fast as a Duke but at my age it's more about the journey than how fast you get there...bit like sex I suppose).

Can be thrilling, can be dangerous, should always wear protection, and its a drag if you get a flat.

vidmar link said:
Of particular interest were the appearances of Manly Mayor Jean Hay (for those that don’t know she is also the sister of Arko) and Warringah Mayor Michael Reagan

Brother of Reg?

Thanks very much Vid great for us far flung folk to get this kind of info.

TokyoEagle link said:
[quote author=Jatz Crackers link=topic=182547.msg253351#msg253351 date=1267793842]
[quote author=vidmar link=topic=182547.msg253308#msg253308 date=1267782798]
Vidmar

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with vidmar's post, get rid of the guys having the motorbike love in.
[/quote]  LOL I think Jatz I need to catch up for a beer at Pennefather Inn.  Lots of bikes there.

"(not as fast as a Duke but at my age it's more about the journey than how fast you get there...bit like sex I suppose)."

GOLD Mark, GOLD ! Hahahahaha

No dikes on bikes i trust. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

Is the man chicken going to present himself ?

BTW...dont take offense Vid. Only pi$$taking.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4