Moses Suli re-signs with Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sad to see him going. Suli promises to be a top centre. Good luck to him. But Manly have had a problem in having too much talent coming through in the three quarter line. I can see Ben Trbojevic by next year seriously challenging for one centre spot. Then there's Schuster, who Manly MUST keep. He's a special talent that by next year will fill in very well at 5/8. As there is a likelihood that Albert Hoppa may go on mission, that leaves the door open for Funa, BenT and Schuster making claims for 5/8, centre and wing. I also think Walker is wasted to 5/8. That kind of speed is needed in the centre. Suli leaving is not going to impact too heavily on Manly as long as they hold onto the kids coming through. In fact it may be a blessing.

Could be the same as "Tapau wants out of Manly".
A non event.

Agree though, we have a few good backs coming through. Id love walker to be back at 3\4 IF we have a good fill in at 5/8.

We spent big money on 3 players, which we should have. Suli was a "project" that paid off. He is on low money compared to how he was playing late last year. We now have to say what his increase should be (offer anyway). I would expect other clubs to offer more then us. If we do offer big, how will that effect retaining other prospects in the future by limiting games and money?

He may struggle retaining his fitness in this lay off period, how will that effect his salability to other clubs ?

I believe he can be a match winner on his day but gee is it worth throwing big bucks at him considering the possible ramifications.

ps If I hear Hopas name as a first grader I will scream.There are probably 20 non first graders in front of him at this stage. There the ones that have played in the last 18/24 months.

ps If I hear Hopas name as a first grader I will scream.There are probably 20 non first graders in front of him at this stage. There the ones that have played in the last 18/24 months.

Agree with your assesment of Suli and where he fits in .. but ... Start warming the vocal chords up ... special talent doesn't wait in line for turns ...

Fair enough although FYI when I asked Jake (this was before xmas, at a men of league function) , who, out of all our young talents coming through, would he tip to make a splash in 2020, he said... young Hoppa.

Let's just give it some time (which we all have way too much of right now) and see what happens. Suli's performances in the finals last year were always going to catch somebody's eye so we shouldn't be surprised he's getting offers. I've enjoyed watching him develop while at Manly and I hope he stays, but I won't hold it against him if he goes.

I'm just a bit confused of about how people are so confident that Ben Trbojevic is a ready placement for Moses Suli. How many of you have you seen Ben play? He is a long way away from first grade standard, which his brothers have acknowledged several time. At the moment he is gaining attention because of his name to a certain extent. Of course he appears to have promise but he may not in the end be good enough. Sad but true.
Hopoate is the same. Enormously talented apparently but who has seen him impressive significantly in the last two years? We just hope he will be capable of meeting the challenges and disciplines and demands of the NRL. But it's just hope!

Our most exciting young player depth is obviously Shuster, who will probably take over five eighth and let Dylan Walker return to centre, which will give us an impressive back-line, assuming no injuries.

But to assume losing Sulii will not be a major loss I think we are being very very optimistic and naive.

Watch the replays from the end of last year. The guy was powerful. And we don't have a replacement . Just a bit of hopeful fantasy.

Des has turned Suli into a powerful asset. Can he do the same with Ben and Hopoate? And how long will it take. Or are they capable?

I'm just a bit confused of about how people are so confident that Ben Trbojevic is a ready placement for Moses Suli. How many of you have you seen Ben play? He is a long way away from first grade standard, which his brothers have acknowledged several time. At the moment he is gaining attention because of his name to a certain extent. Of course he appears to have promise but he may not in the end be good enough. Sad but true.
Hopoate is the same. Enormously talented apparently but who has seen him impressive significantly in the last two years? We just hope he will be capable of meeting the challenges and disciplines and demands of the NRL. But it's just hope!

Our most exciting young player depth is obviously Shuster, who will probably take over five eighth and let Dylan Walker return to centre, which will give us an impressive back-line, assuming no injuries.

But to assume losing Sulii will not be a major loss I think we are being very very optimistic and naive.

Watch the replays from the end of last year. The guy was powerful. And we don't have a replacement . Just a bit of hopeful fantasy.

Des has turned Suli into a powerful asset. Can he do the same with Ben and Hopoate? And how long will it take. Or are they capable?

Good points Lullubelle and you are right. At the moment we are judging Ben T., Albert and Schuster on potential based on junior performances. Same must be said for Funa and Fainu's younger brother who will come into the reckoning probably around 2022.

But these kids, like Suli, were star performers in the junior ranks, and if you recall about Suli, he was questioned as a viable talent even though richly paid when he first came into first grade in other clubs, and came to Manly on promise only.

We can only hope that of the four mentioned, some will rise into first grade as worthy talents. I have only seen a few games with Ben T. and what is noted is that he is tall, strong and fast and seems to defend well. He also seemed to have a good understanding of Schuster's play, because like the Lyons-Beaver combination (and I mean only tactically, not suggesting they are anywhere near that combination at this stage), he seemed to know when to play off Schuster's clever moves.

And yes Schuster looks to me to have the talent to be a top rep player in future, and Manly need to keep that one.

But it will take players like Schuster, Funa, Ben T. and Albert (if he stays) at least another year to begin to show their worth in first grade, but that's always the case. I remember watching some games when DCE was playing lower grade before his appearance in Manly's firsts. You could sense the same dominance of talent. Though I have not seen Funa play, what I've seen of the other three (and that's limited) has me feeling the same excitement as when I saw DCE in the lower grades. Some players are just made for the game it seems. If they show commitment, I've no doubt they will succeed

Much will depend on commitment, but its obvious the Trbojevic family take their game very seriously and I've no doubt Ben will succeed in First Grade. But yes replacing Suli will take a little time and I suspect Des will risk Schuster at 5/8 with Walker back in the centre with Parker at first. Then probably Albert on the wing replacing Taufua and Ben T. and Funa probably earmarked for 2021 with maybe one or two games this year.

Suli may or may not be lured away. Obviously he is in demand and on his performances last year, rightfully so. But keep in mind it is extremely unusual for the club to come out so quickly to comment on an alleged player movement. Sounds to me as though we'll try to keep him if we can.

Young Hoppa's scheduled recovery time will be up when the NRL restarts. Will be interesting to see how he goes.

What will be a challenge for the bench warmers and hopefuls is the lack of footy ... from my understanding .... there is no talk yet of rebooting reggies .... so the only blokes getting match fit will be the top 17 ....

Maybe some players will be rotated in to increase the pool of game fit players ... but will be hard for the untried to break in without some performances under their belts ..

What will be a challenge for the bench warmers and hopefuls is the lack of footy ... from my understanding .... there is no talk yet of rebooting reggies .... so the only blokes getting match fit will be the top 17 ....

Maybe some players will be rotated in to increase the pool of game fit players ... but will be hard for the untried to break in without some performances under their belts ..

You would think they would have to keep most of the 30 fit in case of a series of injuries. I therefore doubt if the developmental players will get a chance. Teams that lose players are going to be even more disadvantaged if the Reggies is not restarted. A lot of players not match fit could come into the reckoning. Well picked up Woodsie.

Suli doesn't want to leave... but Manly won't budge on paying more than $350,000 a season" Peter Peters on @NRL_Dragons pursuit of Moses Suli
Sounds odd to be having talks about money when next year's salary cap must have a giant question mark over it. Maybe they will all carry on signing players based on the original limit and if it has to come down then all contracts will come down by the same percentage. Who knows? But if you change clubs for an extra 100k per year then it turns out is was only an extra 20k you may have jumped the gun!

Sounds odd to be having talks about money when next year's salary cap must have a giant question mark over it. Maybe they will all carry on signing players based on the original limit and if it has to come down then all contracts will come down by the same percentage. Who knows? But if you change clubs for an extra 100k per year then it turns out is was only an extra 20k you may have jumped the gun!

IMO before he starts jumping any gun he has to work on his consistency for the full season and not just parts of it .

Before he starts jumping any gun he also has to realize that the right club environment is paramount in getting him in the right frame of mind .

Before he starts jumping any gun he must understand that a Sea eagle in the hand is worth more than a few extra dollars in the bush .

The other thing to add to this was that whilst Zorba said we were not going to budge on $350k, he said the Dragons were looking to offer him $600k. Obviously that may change with the current climate.

Hmmm...has Zorba become a reliable source again? I recall he was leaking a lot of agenda-driven, in-house dirty laundry in recent years & thought his position at the club no longer existed?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6