More News

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
Manly star Dylan Walker could play despite facing court on assault charges
DEAN RITCHIE,

Dylan Walker’s pending domestic violence charges will not be a deciding factor in whether he plays in Manly’s first NRL trial against Cronulla on Saturday night.

The Sea Eagles say Walker is available for selection in the Shark Park match, which comes less than 72 hours before the 24-year-old is due to face court.

Walker, 24, will face two assault charges from December and is expected to plead not guilty.

Under current NRL rules, Walker is free to play, and Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler will make a final decision later this week.

But the looming court case will not impact on Manly’s decision. Instead, it will be based solely around whether Walker has the fitness and desire to play.

Privately, Manly believe Walker is mentally ready to play football again, and could play up to half of Saturday’s match.

Walker has been cleared to play against Cronulla. AAP Image/Mick Tsikas.

One official said: “We will see how the week unfolds at training. He is available. The court case won’t be a deciding factor in whether he plays or not.”

The Sea Eagles may opt to rest several star players before contesting a full-blown trial against the Sydney Roosters in Gosford on Saturday week.

Walker, a former NSW and Australian player, has been training with Manly at the club’s Narrabeen headquarters. The club is continuing to monitor Walker’s welfare.

Walker was told to stay away from training after the allegations were made public to “get his head right.” He wasn’t officially stood down or sanctioned by the club.

He faces criminal charges of common assault and assault occasioning actual bodily harm after his fiancee Alexandra Ivkovic sustained cuts to her feet, leg and shoulder in the northern beaches suburb of Dee Why on December 6.

Will Walker play? Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images.

Ivkovic, also 24, has retracted her statement but police will push forward with the case against Walker.

Manly held a media day on Monday at Narrabeen but Walker was not available for interview. Sea Eagles chief executive Lyall Gorman was not commenting.

The decision on whether to play Walker should be made by Thursday.

Cronulla released a statement on Monday confirming the trial match had been shifted from Brookvale to Shark Park.

The Brookvale Oval playing surface was deemed unacceptable by both clubs. The match will kick off at 7.30pm.

www.seaeagles.com.au

Jake and Tom Trbojevic want to stay at Manly forever but is it possible in the salary cap era?
DEAN RITCHIE, The Daily Telegraph

·

·

Star Manly brothers Jake and Tom Trbojevic fear salary cap constraints could force them out of their beloved Sea Eagles, despite declaring their intention to remain one-club players.

Sea Eagles fans will shudder at the thought of losing either of the Trbojevics, who have already established themselves as NSW and Australian representatives.

But there are no guarantees in rugby league. Just ask Glenn Stewart, who, after the 2014 season and amid much furore and controversy, was separated from brother Brett and forced out of the club due to salary cap issues.

Jake and Tom Trbojevic both come off contract after next season, meaning rival clubs can starting tabling official offers for them from November 1 this year.

“I have never thought about leaving, we are Manly boys. But you never know with the salary cap. All that sort of stuff happens,” Jake told The Daily Telegraph.

“You wouldn’t have thought Glenn Stewart would have had to leave back in those days. I would love to stay at Manly my whole career but you never know what happens.

The Trbojevic brothers want to be at Manly for life. Picture by Adam Yip.

“The way the game is these days, with the salary cap, you never know if someone is going to get forced out or whatnot.

“But we would love to play together at Manly, that’s our goal. It’s something we would love to keep doing and hopefully that can happen.”

The Daily Telegraph reported interest in the pair in a back page story nearly two weeks ago. Parramatta are one club privately discussing the brothers.

“We still have two years to go so I hadn’t thought about it until I saw that story in the paper that day. But we want to stay at Manly, that’s the goal,” Jake said.

“We have a lot of mates here and hopefully we can have some success. The fans here have been really good to us. They’re very loyal.”

Tom, like Jake, wants to play every match of his career at Manly. But he too is a realist.

“Like Jake, you’re just not too sure what is going to happen. Who knows what will happen when we cross that path?” Tom said. “If we both had our choice, we would both stay at Manly together but we will see what happens.

“I saw that (Telegraph story) the other day. It’s a weird one because we still have two years left on our contracts. We love this footy club. The club has done a lot for us. Ideally, we would be here together, moving forward.

The two brothers are Manly’s heart and soul. Picture by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images.

“Jake and I have grown up together and done a lot together. We are a very close family and it would make it a lot easier for mum (Melissa) and dad (John) if we were playing together. That’s the plan.”

The Daily Telegraph asked Tom which brother should secure the biggest contract.

“Jake,” yelled Jake from nearby.

Tom said: “Jake already gets more money. Surely it’s my turn.”

The brothers have sweated their way through a tough and gruelling off-season under new Manly coach Des Hasler.

“Having Dessie back has been really good, really enjoyable. It’s been a really tough off-season. He has really been flogging us,” Jake said.

“I really hope that will help us out and make us a better team. From a team’s perspective, we just want to be a lot better than last year, compete a lot harder and have a more successful season. Last year was pretty frustrating.

Could the brother’s be forced out of Manly by the salary cap? Picture by Brett Costello.

“That’s what you play the game for — to be there at the business end. We were there in ’17 but the last couple of years have been pretty tough and disappointing. Hopefully we can turn that around.”

NSW and Australian superstar Tom will need to use all his speed and agility to spark Manly’s attack this year.

“The off-season has been good fun. Obviously getting back in and working under Des has been really enjoyable, bouncing ideas off with him, I’ve learnt a lot,” Tom said.

“Last year was disappointing, we want to be better than that, we want to play better footy. Everyone plays this game to play finals footy and that’s the goal for us. For now, we just have to keep working hard and try and implement things we have been working hard on at training.”

So, you thought 'Turbo' Tommy Trbojevic was quick?

Wait to you see young centre Reuben Garrick in full flight - he's turbo on high octane fuel.

Trbojevic has been the club's speed king for years but young Garrick, an off-season recruit from the Dragons, just about has him covered over 100m.

The modest teenager was reluctant to place himself ahead of the star fullback, but did tell Sporting News: "I back my speed…I guess it's one of my main assets."

"We have GPS trackers and there's a lot of pace here.

"Cherry (Daly Cherry-Evans) is pretty quick over 30m or so and then there's Tommy.

"That's the top couple and I'm in there somewhere. Maybe we need a race to sort it out."

But Trbojevic doesn't need a race to convince him who's the fastest gun in the north.

He said: "Reuben's probably got me covered. He moves really well.

"I'd back him over 100m…I'm getting too old."

Garrick's hopes of cracking it for a starting position at right centre could well rely on the outcome of Dylan Walker's court case.

Walker returns to court this week to face assault charges following an alleged altercation with his partner in December.

He faces a hefty suspension or deregistration if found guilty.

There is a strong rumour the Sea Eagles are ready to pounce on a centre/winger from an NRL club should Walker be outed.

Or go with the untried Garrick.

"I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. I've got some big trials coming up and it's going to be very competitive for a spot," Garrick said.

"Doors were closing at the Dragons and I thought Manly was a good fit and it would be a massive achievement if I could make first grade here.

"It's something I've longed dreamed about."

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...garrick-salary-cap/1p56x1bwwqack1use46wqi0gzu

The Telegraph story is a beat up, basically aimed at looking for something sensational to report to titillate the titters. Brett and Glenn Stewart played together at Manly for 12 seasons without a salary cap issue. Glenn was finally forced out because it could be seen he was approaching the end of his career...as demonstrated at Souths. Tom and Jake...and probably Ben...will play together for at least a decade at Manly, and perhaps to the end of their careers. They are locals, good identities for the club, and have the talent. They will be going no where.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6