Metcalf, Schuster, Hoppa, Ben T.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
With the injury toll rising, plenty of talk about these guys eventually playing first grade.

How far away would people think they are from being ready ?

I think the lack of Canterbury Cup time is a worry.

I wouldn't imagine Ben T would be ready for a few years but Metcalf at least had the 9's.

Don't know where Schuster and Hoppa are at in terms of their development.

Anyone got any insight ?

I hoping that Schuster and Hoppa both get a shot this season. You don't develop players sitting them on the side line. Additionally they will start thinking what is it going to take for me to get a run here?

It would be a massive ask for them to come into first grade without NSW Cup under their belts..and no games at all since last year. All massive talents though. Ideally we'd see one of them at a time, as the debutant in a team full of experience...but injuries may have other ideas! Metcvalfe is one that may get a shot sooner rather than later...but then Cust has more experience, is bigger and older.

There are high hopes for Schuster to be a "Special player", but Des will bring him along when the moment arrives, but there's no doubt lack of footy at NSW cup level to help the youngsters adjust against big men (many who have NRL experience), is not a good thing.....seems to have every element required to make it as an elite player in time, with his instinctive ability out of the unpredictable book that you can't coach against...only try limit his impact....still young and needs to prove himself over time and I think he will.
Hoppa has Huge upside and was ranked along Bradmen Best as the best juniors of their age, but has been hobbled by major injuries, but back nearing top condition, as strong in the gym as many of his forwards in the Manly pack and has a freakish fend like a young Renouf who builds up speed after contact with defenders, great balance....if stays healthy will also make it by 2021.
Metcalfe is probably down the pecking order as there has always been questions about his defence, which is paramount in the jump to NRL, but his individual attacking skills are good enough to cause impact ...I would think off the bench.
The smokey is Ben Turbo, big lanky backrow/centre who runs great lines.
Would think he is behind Shu and Hoppa in the pecking order, but you never know - he is a Trjobovic and certainly plans are already in place to remain a long term Seaeagle, so the ppl that matter rate him highly.

I dunno, but it looks like we will need a quality fullback in the ranks for many years to come to cover for turbo. Has he ever played a full season to date?? He is so young and his hammys are already shot.. maybe a move to the centre's sooner than later might prolong his career

I'm a big fan of Croker. I think he is a terrific team player and a great utility. He'd always be in my top 17. I think he should start at 6 this weekend but have Schuster in the 17 awaiting his chance to take over. This would allow Croker to move to hooker to give Levi a breather.
Those who have read my posts know I'm a believer in 'hoodos'; clubs that have the wood on others. As I pointed out last week we had history on our side in rounds 6, 7 and 8.
Canberra: 36 wins, 21 loses
Cronulla: 66 wins, 24 loss
Newcastle: 33 wins, 19 losses
So, if ever Des wanted to experiment with untried players this weekend's match with Cronulla is the perfect time.
Ironically, a club most NRL fans believe is hopeless this season - Illawarra - proves hardest for us to beat, with 10 wins and 19 losses. We play them in round 9!

I always believe in blooding young players. This season is unique as there is no junior football, I expect that coaches will be reluctant to blood rookies due to the pace of the game and the younger players lack of match fitness. I think bench time is about all that the players mentioned would be offered if the injury toll continues.

I'm a big fan of Croker. I think he is a terrific team player and a great utility. He'd always be in my top 17. I think he should start at 6 this weekend but have Schuster in the 17 awaiting his chance to take over. This would allow Croker to move to hooker to give Levi a breather.
Those who have read my posts know I'm a believer in 'hoodos'; clubs that have the wood on others. As I pointed out last week we had history on our side in rounds 6, 7 and 8.
Canberra: 36 wins, 21 loses
Cronulla: 66 wins, 24 loss
Newcastle: 33 wins, 19 losses
So, if ever Des wanted to experiment with untried players this weekend's match with Cronulla is the perfect time.
Ironically, a club most NRL fans believe is hopeless this season - Illawarra - proves hardest for us to beat, with 10 wins and 19 losses. We play them in round 9!
Doesnt matter how the drag queens are going, we ALWAYS struggle against them... I think they just REALLY hate Manly lol... plus we'll probs have to play them at WIN now which is a graveyard for us :(

For those in the know, how is the defence of the four newbies mentioned? I seem to remember seeing Metcalf and being horrified at how bad he was, Could be wrong.

I'm sure each of the leading clubs will have an eye on the finals, wanting to have a squad of players with at least some First Grade experience in case of injury. While we have a top 17 capable of winning the premiership the chances of having them all fit when the finals start is near impossible. Currently we have eight players who would normally be in our top 17 who are injured/recovering or missing: Turbo, Walker, Wadell, Tafua, Kapow, Parker, Suli and Fainu.
So at some stage we will need to give our back-up squad members some game time or else we could be forced to debut them in finals matches when there are no second chances.
It makes sense to me to start bringing in such players when we are playing the less strong teams. I rate Cronulla as one of these.
We are fortunate with our run in to the finals: Tigers, Dogs, Titans and Worriers. Whilst two premiership points per round is obviously the most important factor, it would make sense to blood our reserves at some stage to both cover injuries and give our Superstars some much needed rest.

I'm sure each of the leading clubs will have an eye on the finals, wanting to have a squad of players with at least some First Grade experience in case of injury. While we have a top 17 capable of winning the premiership the chances of having them all fit when the finals start is near impossible. Currently we have eight players who would normally be in our top 17 who are injured/recovering or missing: Turbo, Walker, Wadell, Tafua, Kapow, Parker, Suli and Fainu.
So at some stage we will need to give our back-up squad members some game time or else we could be forced to debut them in finals matches when there are no second chances.
It makes sense to me to start bringing in such players when we are playing the less strong teams. I rate Cronulla as one of these.
We are fortunate with our run in to the finals: Tigers, Dogs, Titans and Worriers. Whilst two premiership points per round is obviously the most important factor, it would make sense to blood our reserves at some stage to both cover injuries and give our Superstars some much needed rest.

I agree. The fear I have is throwing some underdone kid in there that gets schooled by an experienced first grader. They need to be physically ready too and with no experience against men, it could get ugly.

I've already had my say about Schuster and young Hoppa. They are special talents and I have no doubt both could handle first grade now.

Manly is having a problem scoring points at present and with Turbo out for a while and maybe Walker off for a bit, we have a big problem getting over the line. Certainly having Suli back helps but we cant just rely on defence, even though its obvious this is a well conditioned and talented defensive side.

For mine I would get Schuster in asap. Put him on the bench if they want to play risk free to ensure he's up to scratch but he was trialled and successfully came through. As for Hoppa, if his rehab has been completed (and I read he is just going through testing at present to ensure he's fully over those horrid injuries), I would risk him at full back.

Manly needs attacking players now. They need the spark. Croker has been solid, good defender, and seems to add spark at hooker. But he doesn't seem to have the distribution skills for a 5/8 position. Sironen did exceptionally well there, but he's not a distributing player as well. Manly need someone to ignite the back line and a few attackers out wide. Hoppa at full back if he's ready, and ease Schuster into 5/8, from the bench, to ensure he gets game fitness up.

Last edited:
I agree. The fear I have is throwing some underdone kid in there that gets schooled by an experienced first grader. They need to be physically ready too and with no experience against men, it could get ugly.

Every new player has to start somewhere. Leaving them in cotton wool achieves nothing. Young rising stars are popping up all over the comp at present and they weren't held back. Its a risk, but its a necessary one.

Every new player has to start somewhere. Leaving them in cotton wool achieves nothing. Young rising stars are popping up all over the comp at present and they weren't held back. Its a risk, but its a necessary one.

Maybe so mate but a couple of runs in reggies would do them some good. Even though that's not a possibility right now.

We may have no choice but to just throw them in.

Adding a few years to their contracts happens first before I'd play either this year. Then both Cust and Schuster get games in the next few weeks in my book.

I still think Cust is a star.

Schuster gets blooded whilst Turbo, Walker and Suli are out. Where is the question. I'm leaning towards lock off the bench to start with.

Given the way Jake now plays like a halfback, a small nimble lock, middle of the field, ball playing, running aka the likes of Radley. It would be interesting against tired defenders. Ease him into it.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4