Membership devalued

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
I know it is unwise to believe what you read in the Telecrap, but Rothfield today claims that the Manly V Melb match has been moved to Perth.

As in previous threads I think this is a big mistake, disrespecting members who have paid to watch matches at Brookvale Oval. For me, this match is the highlight of the year. I've been a fan for 50 years and a member for the past decade, and believe I've received great value.

But by taking the best, most anticipated match of the NRL season - regardless of which club you support - to the world's most remote capital city has me questioning if I'd paid my membership on the basis of false information.

I hope the Telecrap is wrong, as usual, and that the club will listen to fans and take ANY other match to Perth IF it is the only way to make money.

Not sure it has "devalued" our membership as it is much more than a seat at the game. If the article is correct though, it does seem a sad state of affairs.

anthonyb1965 said:
Not sure it has "devalued" our membership as it is much more than a seat at the game. If the article is correct though, it does seem a sad state of affairs.

The most important part of being a member is being able to watch 12 - now 10 - high quality games at Brookvale Oval. If you take away the best two matches then the value diminishes. I can accept them playing the Tigers at Blue Tongue because it does still enable 'local' Manly fans to get to the match, but how do we get to Perth without spending a couple of thousand dollars?

The Storm players must be laughing not having to confront The Fortress. Our chances of winning the clash have also been harmed - but it seems putting two premiership points in doubt is not that important.

Hypothetical The Who can you guarantee 20,000 people rocking up to all 12 games if they were all played at Brookie?
And that's regardless of weather, night/day its played etc.

Due to the cost of the renting of Brookie (which is highway robbery btw if it was a house, the owners would be chased down the street by ACA or Today Tonight due to the neglect Brookie gets)the club has to look at ways of making more money and unfortunately this is what it's come to.

How is the membership devalued? It's for 10 games, yeah? The club can only take 2 games away from Brookie which means there'll be 10 home game this season. Non-issue.

It is a shame that we're losing the Storm match (if true) though, easily the best game of the year (which is always our biggest crowd as well).

Wolfpack said:
How is the membership devalued? It's for 10 games, yeah? The club can only take 2 games away from Brookie which means there'll be 10 home game this season. Non-issue.

It is a shame that we're losing the Storm match (if true) though, easily the best game of the year (which is always our biggest crowd as well).

It's devalued because when the draw was announced and the membership rates were set we were playing the Storm at Brookvale. Don't you think this match is worth more to attend than against any other team?
It's just like a membership to, say, the Opera House which, after you pay your money you learn that the show you most wanted to see was being taken away.

If it's so important for Manly to make money then why play any games at Brookie? This is the thin edge of the wedge.

The Who said:
Wolfpack said:

It's devalued because when the draw was announced and the membership rates were set we were playing the Storm at Brookvale. Don't you think this match is worth more to attend than against any other team?
It's just like a membership to, say, the Opera House which, after you pay your money you learn that the show you most wanted to see was being taken away.

If it's so important for Manly to make money then why play any games at Brookie? This is the thin edge of the wedge.

Maybe wrong about this but the NRL draw when initially announce has TBA on it

1. You can $200- odd return tickets to Perth
2. You will get preferred ground seating as a mamber
3. Mark will organise a trip if you want a group
4. Non peak season is REALLY cheap over there

Give it a shot guys. You may create some great memories to treasure going forward.

No really, I'm agreeing with Ryan. I'd rather have the club get the money and survive, rather than have my bum on a seat at Brookvale watching a NSW cup team called Manly running around if we go broke. We need the money, and we'll pick up some fans in the West where the expansion team will be based. I'll be traveling with Mark for this game. It's a long way off so every-one can budget for the trip. If you want to get to Bluetongue then jump on the bus at the club. It's a safe way to get to and from the CC. Traveling is good for the mind. And I can't figure why people think playing in Perth would favour Melbourne.

Ryan said:
1. You can $200- odd return tickets to Perth
2. You will get preferred ground seating as a mamber
3. Mark will organise a trip if you want a group
4. Non peak season is REALLY cheap over there

Give it a shot guys. You may create some great memories to treasure going forward.

If the airfares are just $200 then I'll go, but I've never seen them this cheap. I thought they were closer to $700. And I'm talking about return - I don't want to be stuck there.

DSM5 said:
And I can't figure why people think playing in Perth would favour Melbourne.

The same people who think that curtains fade quicker during daylight savings due the extra hr of sunlight. :D

Look forward to meeting you in Perth.

WAMF said:
DSM5 said:
And I can't figure why people think playing in Perth would favour Melbourne.

The same people who think that curtains fade quicker during daylight savings due the extra hr of sunlight. :D

Look forward to meeting you in Perth.

Of course playing at a neutral venue, rather than Fortress Brookvale where last season we had a perfect record, gives Storm a better chance of victory. Surely you can see this!

The Who said:
If the airfares are just $200 then I'll go, but I've never seen them this cheap. I thought they were closer to $700. And I'm talking about return - I don't want to be stuck there.

Yes Ryan was well off the mark. Expect to pay around $250 each way.
The Who, funnily enough I had a return ticket once and gave up the flight home.

The Who said:
Of course playing at a neutral venue, rather than Fortress Brookvale where last season we had a perfect record, gives Storm a better chance of victory. Surely you can see this!

If we are the better side on the day (like we were in last years game) we will win anyway so it shouldn't matter where we play if someone's offering 3-4 times more money than we could make appeasing short sighted fans.

This clip aptly demonstrates what Fans mean to a Game Experience.

So not having the Brookie Faithfull at the Manly v Storm game will dilute the atmosphere IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0qZYqdsYAg

Happily Manly, you will be very surprised to see how many Manly Fans there are in Perth.

If you are tight for cash get the fares over here and you can crash at my place if needed.

It actually costs more to go Perth-Sydney return then it doses vice versa

I'd rather we got the extra money. We still get 10 matches at Brookvale, so suck it up and stop whinging.

I'd like dave perry at some stage to communicate to the fans how much the club gets for the move. IMO anything under 300k isn't enough because as a contest alone we lose the home ground advantage. If the club is bank the bucks for it then daves doing his job.

Larissa and Matt what time will the supporters bus leave the leagues club for the Perth home game ;)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4