Media Hype - Manly got excited too early

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Nuts

I blame the media for getting us supporters all excited about making the top 8. We had 3 good wins against under strength sides and the media have got us making a charge for the 8. Obviously they didn't look at the draw after the win over the Titans. Cowboys, NZ, Brisbane, Souths & Roosters just to name a few. It would of taken a massive form reversal to even go close to winning 50% of those games. I just hope that we finish the season on a positive note and not go into the final rounds without pride in the jersey.

I blame the media for getting us supporters all excited about making the top 8. We had 3 good wins against under strength sides and the media have got us making a charge for the 8. Obviously they didn't look at the draw after the win over the Titans. Cowboys, NZ, Brisbane, Souths & Roosters just to name a few. It would of taken a massive form reversal to even go close to winning 50% of those games. I just hope that we finish the season on a positive note and not go into the final rounds without pride in the jersey.

I agree with your post and I will admit I was one of those people who fell for the media hype, really thought we could of made a run at it.

The 3 things I want to see now for the rest of our season:

1/ Avoid the spoon

2/ As you said play with some pride for the jersey in the remaining rounds

3/ Hurt a few of the top 8 teams chances in terms of ladder position.

Last edited:
I guess it was easy to feel like "maybe we've turned that corner", as to be honest we've been spoilt with success of late. You EXPECT Manly to win, simply because that is what we do, that is what we are known for and that's why everyone hates us. We are the perennial tall poppy: but this year we've stumbled. There's a multitude of reasons, none of which us fans can influence. So we suck it up keep cheering and know that we will be back.

Hard to find many wins leading up to end of season. Have a look at our run home

How can you blame the media? It has been clear all year that we can only beat the **** teams. I was never convinced after beating the Titans that we were going to beat the Cowboys, especially after the Knights put a score on them also. Our forwards are weak which means we can't give room to our backs and also means our backs jam in to help out to defend in the middle which leaves us exposed on the flanks.

I for one didnt fall for it. We have been ordinary for most of this year and the same problems exist as they did in game 1, I think we have a couple of wins in us but not much more, fact is we are not good enough around the ruck and thats where the game is won and lost now.

I have to agree with all of you, however it was good while it lasted. To dream was great yet now I'm back to my normal cranky, grumpy self. Anyway there is next year and I'm positive we will not get the spoon. Go Manly

I'll admit I was optimistic going into Monday night, but I also knew that the Cows would be a much greater test of where we were at after wins against the Tigers, Sharks and Tits. And you have to remember that before the win over the Sharks we were also beaten fairly comfortably by Souffs.

The Sharks are still a chance of playing the finals but the Tigers and Tits are the favourites for the wooden spoon. Wins over those two were hardly anything to get excited about. And considering that the Knights also smashed the Tits it should have brought our recent form into perspective.

Unfortunately what Monday night showed us is that we're not a premiership contender this year and frankly we're not even a contender to take the finals. We'll avoid the spoon, but for once us Manly fans won't have to worry about September. Not unless something drastically changes, but TBH I don't think we have the forwards to do it. Backs yes, forwards no.

Since about Round 10 the top 8 has been a long shot. Ok Round 1 really but I must admit to being hopeful again after R2.

We did beat the scum twice and were unlucky against the Cowboys the first time around but other than that there hasn't been much to be optimistic about.

The style of our wins over knights, tigers, sharks and even the big score against the titans didn't fill me with any confidence and the other close losses to the dragons and panthers aren't really a good form line either.

Let's just aim for top 15 now and hope for a more enjoyable 2016 with a guarantee of less contract drama.

All today's match and the last month is that Manly is a top 8 side, albeit in the 5-8 positions.

We can beat any team, however no chance to beat Roosters, Broncos, Souths and Cowgirls at semi finals time.

With some better forwards next year and a better injury run we will be better.

Did you notice this week there was no talk from the players in the media. Their actions spoke and this is how I want it to be for the rest of this disastrous season, our winter of discontent.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6