McIntyre system

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Has 5th even been knocked out first weekend? I don't think so. I really hate this system. Every game should have something on the line for a win/loss. In the AFL system, from 5-8 's Wk 1 games, a loss sees you out, and 1-4 a win sees you get a weeked off. Much better. What on earth is the point of Manly and the Storm bashing ourselves senseless in Week 1? Nothing is really riding on the result, except playing in your home region for Wk 2 (I think).

If 1, 2 and 3 lose and manly lose (5th), then Manly could drop out, but it's unlikely and they should be able to fight another day

Crusher_Cleal link said:
Has 5th even been knocked out first weekend? I don't think so. I really hate this system. Every game should have something on the line for a win/loss. In the AFL system, from 5-8 's Wk 1 games, a loss sees you out, and 1-4 a win sees you get a weeked off. Much better. What on earth is the point of Manly and the Storm bashing ourselves senseless in Week 1? Nothing is really riding on the result, except playing in your home region for Wk 2 (I think).

I think the Dragons bombed out from 5th in the first week in either 04 or 05

The Dragons did get knocked out in the 4 v 5 game, would have been 04, coz the Tigers played them in the Prelim in 05

I don't mind the system personally, the other one was tried as well and didn't really cut the mustard. There is no perfect system really

The thing I would change about the way it is now, is that the 26 rounds don't mean enough. For me, the seedings should hold all the way through the finals and the higher rank plays the home game.
Last year, I found it ridiculous that after just sneaking into the finals, the Warriors got a home game in week 2. But there were some that argued if you win, you deserve that

I think its silly that half the teams in the competition make the finals. I mean seriously!

I reckon it should just be top 7 kind of like the old top 5 or even just top 5!

Then you could extend the normal season by 2 weeks and perhaps make the entire competition more fair with everyone playing each other twice

Top 4, 1v4, 2v3.

Or Top 2, 1v2 straight final... that would be awesome, less money, but would be awesome.

So we're definately coming fifth? ;D We can still manage fourth which would be a lot better. All it takes is the Warriors to win and us winning both games, which isn't that unlikely.

AFL finals system is much better. 

In this system it is possible to come 6th, get towelled up in week one of the finals, and then go on to with the premiership.  It's also possible to come third, hammer team 6, and as a result have to play team 5 or even team 4, higher ranked teams. 

It's too all over the shop. 

Here are the thoughts on the subject from rleague.com, submitted by a site reader Adam Lehoczky:

With the 2009 finals series pressing closer, and the race for five finals spots almost obscenely close (a situation the AFL would love to have).

I can almost hear the annual wailing and gnashing of teeth from those who loathe and detest the McIntyre top 8 system.

And yes, it has flaws. The likelihood that the 4v5 and 3v6 games are rendered meaningless, the seeming unfairness that teams 3 and 4 could be eliminated, the inflexibility of the week 1 schedule, and the complexity of the system are just some of the factors that lead people to look at the AFL's system longingly.

With that in mind, I thought it might be worth throwing up some of the benefits of the McIntyre system as I see it:

-- 1. The top two are kept apart until the Grand Final. Although there is a large combination of possible results, the two best teams of the regular season are kept separate until the Grand Final. If they both win, they get the winner 1 and winner 2 slots, and play opposite preliminary finals. If they both lose (unlikely as it sounds), they play opposite semi finals and preliminary finals if they win. And as we saw last year with the Warriors upsetting Melbourne, when one wins and the other loses, the winner of the two (Manly in 2008) gets the winner 1 slot, and the loser (Melbourne) gets the loser 1 slot-meaning they play winner 3 then winner 2.

Compare this to the AFL system and the (necessary) crossover. If one of the top two falls over in week one, they're placed on a collision course with the other. Look at the AFL in 2006: Adelaide (2nd place) defeated Fremantle (3rd) to earn the week off. Meanwhile, Sydney (4th) upset West Coast (1st). When West Coast and Fremantle won in week 2, they swapped partners-leaving the higher-ranked Adelaide playing the minor premiers, with Sydney getting to play the third placed side.

-- 2. Making the Grand Final from 7th and 8th means going through the top 2. If you finish 7th, you're stuck not only having to knock over 2nd, but also having to beat the minor premiers if you want to play in the Grand Final. The Cowboys run in 2004 is an example. The Cowboys famously upset the Bulldogs in the 2v7 game. They then had to beat 3rd placed Brisbane to meet the minor premiers, the Roosters, for a Grand Final berth.

That's right-making the big one from 7th meant having to defeat the top three teams in the comp. With such a run, any team that does make the Grand Final from 7th or 8th clearly deserves to be there. Contrast the AFL. 8th may beat 5th, and if results favour them, they may then have to beat 4th and 3rd to make the decider-a tough road, but nowhere near as hard as the McIntyre system.

3. No massive gap between teams 4 and 5. The only real advantage team 4 has over team 5 in the McIntyre system is the home final. Contrast the AFL system, and the divide could hardly be wider-team 4 gets a guaranteed second chance, team 5 faces sudden death.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
The thing I would change about the way it is now, is that the 26 rounds don't mean enough. For me, the seedings should hold all the way through the finals and the higher rank plays the home game.
Last year, I found it ridiculous that after just sneaking into the finals, the Warriors got a home game in week 2. But there were some that argued if you win, you deserve that

we kinda got rewarded for having a great season last year (only by fluke really).

We played the 7th and 8th teams & had a week off.. I think we had the easiest run into  a grand final ever  ;D (not that I am complaining..)

Yeah we did, although having said that the Warriors were red hot, winning something like 12/13 games to meet us

I don't think 110-12 will ever be beaten for a finals campaign

Back about five years ago, the team that lost the Friday night game was eliminated as 7 beat 2 and 6 beat 3.

1st had never lost to 8th up until the Warriors beat the Storm last year.

I think the AFL System is fairer with the first week being 1v4, 2v3, (winners to get a week's break) and 5v8 and 6v7 with the losers eliminated. It rewards the consistent teams but still gives the bottom teams a chance if they are good enough.

Basically the AFL is won each year by a Top 4 team whilst the NRL allows every team in the 8 a chance to win.

ManlyBacker link said:
Here are the thoughts on the subject from rleague.com, submitted by a site reader Adam Lehoczky:

With the 2009 finals series pressing closer, and the race for five finals spots almost obscenely close (a situation the AFL would love to have).

I can almost hear the annual wailing and gnashing of teeth from those who loathe and detest the McIntyre top 8 system.

And yes, it has flaws. The likelihood that the 4v5 and 3v6 games are rendered meaningless, the seeming unfairness that teams 3 and 4 could be eliminated, the inflexibility of the week 1 schedule, and the complexity of the system are just some of the factors that lead people to look at the AFL's system longingly.

With that in mind, I thought it might be worth throwing up some of the benefits of the McIntyre system as I see it:

-- 1. The top two are kept apart until the Grand Final. Although there is a large combination of possible results, the two best teams of the regular season are kept separate until the Grand Final. If they both win, they get the winner 1 and winner 2 slots, and play opposite preliminary finals. If they both lose (unlikely as it sounds), they play opposite semi finals and preliminary finals if they win. And as we saw last year with the Warriors upsetting Melbourne, when one wins and the other loses, the winner of the two (Manly in 2008) gets the winner 1 slot, and the loser (Melbourne) gets the loser 1 slot-meaning they play winner 3 then winner 2.

Compare this to the AFL system and the (necessary) crossover. If one of the top two falls over in week one, they're placed on a collision course with the other. Look at the AFL in 2006: Adelaide (2nd place) defeated Fremantle (3rd) to earn the week off. Meanwhile, Sydney (4th) upset West Coast (1st). When West Coast and Fremantle won in week 2, they swapped partners-leaving the higher-ranked Adelaide playing the minor premiers, with Sydney getting to play the third placed side.

-- 2. Making the Grand Final from 7th and 8th means going through the top 2. If you finish 7th, you're stuck not only having to knock over 2nd, but also having to beat the minor premiers if you want to play in the Grand Final. The Cowboys run in 2004 is an example. The Cowboys famously upset the Bulldogs in the 2v7 game. They then had to beat 3rd placed Brisbane to meet the minor premiers, the Roosters, for a Grand Final berth.

That's right-making the big one from 7th meant having to defeat the top three teams in the comp. With such a run, any team that does make the Grand Final from 7th or 8th clearly deserves to be there. Contrast the AFL. 8th may beat 5th, and if results favour them, they may then have to beat 4th and 3rd to make the decider-a tough road, but nowhere near as hard as the McIntyre system.

3. No massive gap between teams 4 and 5. The only real advantage team 4 has over team 5 in the McIntyre system is the home final. Contrast the AFL system, and the divide could hardly be wider-team 4 gets a guaranteed second chance, team 5 faces sudden death.

after this explanation, i like the mcintyre system for 8 finalists. Thought i would be top 4 go to the finals.

Top 4 is a bit tough, but it does mean you could extend the season and as I said earlier have every team play each other twice, which gives a fairer end result.

With that in mind top 4 is probably good, but the top 5 system worked well, why not go back to that

Top 4 is a quarter of the teams and makes the regular season all that more important. But the NRL doesn't care for that, 4 weeks of finals is better than 2 obviously! Though the first week is just like a split round in the origin period

Personally i don't mind the McIntyre system, it makes the finals and who you play a bit of a lottery. Under this system i feel that we get a team that truly deserves to win the GF.
If you lose a game during the finals you should be duly penalised and lose home ground advantage, who would tip 8th to beat 1st ?

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6