McIntyre system dumped for 2012

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
nrl.com
NRL Finals System Changed
NRL.com Wed, Feb 22, 2012 - 2:43 PM
The Australian Rugby League Commission has announced a change to the 2012 Telstra Premiership Finals Series at today’s NRL Chief Executives’ meeting in Sydney.

On the day of the official season launch, the Commission informed clubs that it had accepted a recommendation to move away from the McIntyre system which had been a part of the Telstra Premiership since 1999.

For the first time since 1996, the competition will split the top four and the bottom four finalists into separate pools in week one of the Telstra Premiership Finals Series (The Australian Rugby League used such a model in both 1995 and 1996).

Whereas the McIntyre system ‘seeded’ the eight finalists so that the top four played the bottom four, the 2012 system will see the top four teams and bottom four teams split into separate pools in the first week.

“As the competition has become closer and the impact of ‘home and away’ finals matches even more significant, the system has become a source of increasing debate,” ARLC Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today.

“The allocation of ‘home venues’ in the second week of the McIntyre system has been a particular concern.

“After going through a thorough process we are confident that this is the right time for this change.”

The recommendation to the Commission follows an extensive review process conducted by ARLC General Manager of Football Operations, Mr Nathan McGuirk.

“Over the past few months we have been conducting a review with clubs and with the recently formed Competition Committee,” Mr McGuirk said.

“An overwhelming majority of clubs have shifted their support away from the McIntyre system and to one where the top four teams play each other in week one.

“It offers greater protection for the top four teams and the possibility of even closer matches.

“Each of the top four teams needs only to win two finals matches to reach the Grand Final, while the bottom four ranked teams must win three.                            

“The Minor Premiers and Team 2 are each guaranteed two home games.”        

The Telstra Premiership finals system will continue to be played on the basis of ‘home city’ venues in week one and two and ‘home region’ venues in week three.

finals_series_620.jpg

I'm gonna say it straight out this shows gallops power as evaporated. He was a massive fan of McIntyre system and was very stubborn in his support. Love the fact that teams 5 and 6 can't lose in the first week and survive.

Ha love it. Gallop was the only fan of this stupid stupid system.

Lets see how this new system pans out, should be much better for the game. The lest Gallop can control thing with an Iron fist the better.

By the way Berkley, you are doing an outstanding job on Twitter, massive amounts of posts and massive amounts new followers

I'm pleased they are changing the system. But unless I'm wrong it means we wtill don;t get any home semi fanals, and yet clubs such as Bris, Melb, Canberra, Newcastle and North Qld do.

Richard better be on his a game or berks my end up being the clubs social media man lol ;).

Your a champ berks

Fluffy said:
The Who - no change there to 2011

Yes. That's what I meant. But instead of missing out on just one Brookie semi we could miss out on two, now, with those other teams getting two home semis.
I do like the change in system, but just lamenting that it discriminates against teams with suburban grounds, such as us, Cronulla, Penrith and Illawarra, because the NRL won;t allow finals to be played out our homes.

I was a massive fan of the ARL/AFL system until recently but decided that I prefered the Macintyre system purely because it best rewards teams 1 and 2. In 2008 we played teams 7, 5 and 1. Under the ARL system it would have been more likely to be 3, 5, 1. In 2011 we got 7, 3, 6 rather than 3, 5, 1 (or 3, 5, 6). Any way you look at it, this system is more difficult for teams 1, 2, 5 and 6 but easier for teams 7 and 8. It probably makes little difference to teams 3 and 4 because in all likelihood, they'll have to beat 2 other top 4 sides to win the premiership. assuming 1 and 2 can beat 4 and 3 (which they should), they will play at "home" until the GF anyway.

I could have lived with the McIntyre if the teams 1 and 2 retained their home ground in the case of a loss in week one of the finals. It was absurd that they worked hard to get to the top over 26 rounds, only to find themselves travelling away for the next two weeks, based on a single result.

I had no problem with the McIntrye system.

It did afterall throw up the Warrior to play us in last years GF.

I just hate that half the competition makes the finals. WTF is with that. It means you only need to be mediocre to have a shot at it.

I liked the top 5 system and see no reason why that couldn't be adapted to say the top 7

Point raised on twitter
What advantage do the Minor Premiers get by playing a harder game in week 1 of the finals than teams 5, 6, 7, and 8?
. Team 5 gets the easiest first round game? WTF!

@Silvertails unchanged - played in "home cities" in weeks one and two. So Manly would play at SFS again. Home regions in week 3

My initial reaction was "it's about time".
I always thought that the AFL system was superior to the McIntyre system.
But I gotta say, firechild makes some bloody excellent points.

And Dan is right. The top 5 has always been the best system and its only due to $$$ that we now reward mediocre, by allowing teams that only win 50% of their games to play finals.

Well using this new system there is one less week of finals football, so less $$ there.

Personally had no issues with old system except team 1 and 2 should get anotehr home game if they lose

Clay said:
Well using this new system there is one less week of finals football, so less $$ there.

Personally had no issues with old system except team 1 and 2 should get anotehr home game if they lose

Is there? I thought it was the same.

Clay said:

Nope still goes for 4 weeks

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Point raised on twitter
What advantage do the Minor Premiers get by playing a harder game in week 1 of the finals than teams 5, 6, 7, and 8?
. Team 5 gets the easiest first round game? WTF!

@Silvertails unchanged - played in "home cities" in weeks one and two. So Manly would play at SFS again. Home regions in week 3

The advantage is they (Team 1) can't be kncoked out week 1. Team 5 can be if they lose.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4