Mateo and Burgess Released

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm not sure how this works? Does this free up salary cap for us, both were in the top 25?

Your top 25 for 1st tier Salary Cap purposes are your top 25 highest paid players - regardless of whether they actually play NRL or not.
Do you know what the story is behind a Team being able to bring up a player?

It happens each season, at a handful of Clubs and I can not find an official explanation of it anywhere :confused:

HM - have a read here.

https://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

I guess you can get special dispensation if you have a lot of injuries to your top 25 and you start to exceed your second tier cap. They won't make a team play short because of salary cap squeeze. However as soon as a top 25 player is fit then they would have to replace the 2nd tier guy regardless of form.

I'm not 100% sure how the chopping of top 25 players mid season works. But I would hazard a guess to suggest that whatever portion of their salary has been paid up until the date they are released gets counted in 1st tier salary cap calcs. Once they are released then the next highest paid player can fill their spot. It gets complicated if the club is still paying their contract even if they aren't here, which happens for released players - how that works I have no idea - because if you don't get salary cap relief by releasing them then what is the point ?? case in point Mateo and Burgess - if we had to pay out their contracts for this year and that counts fully against the cap then what is the upside to releasing them ? maybe we save a bit on strapping tape costs.

Here's the link from the club before @Jethro does it :)

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2016/07/26/club_releases_burges.html

If there's no cap relief and contracts paid out in full...what's the point?

Unless their new club Salford pays out their contracts.

Maybe that's it.
Go for it @globaleagle
News from me will be a bit later in the day for me during the week from now on as my 3 weeks sick leave after having a couple of operations on my hand is now over and I am back at work so any news that I may be able to post will be after 4pm (Monday to Friday). If anybody can post news sooner than that then go for it but just remember to only post the heading, author and first paragraph (or 10%) of the article and then link the rest of the article to the originator news source.

Potato was one of the great disappointments. He has so much raw talent, and did play a handful of good matches for us, but never fulfilled our hopes.
Luke Burgess was recruited to temp the Burgess boys from the burrow but that didn't work. Unfortunately he was quite as good as his younger brothers.

This is great and very promising that we will see Knight back in the top grade very soon. This move would only be for the purpose for promoting Knight and i would say Parker.

I'd go for Hopoate with Knight, given Hoppa showed significant promise last year before his imprisonment, and has been apparently a standout, and along with Knight, the only bright spots in a disappointing reserve grade side.

Personally I'd like to wish them both all the very best with their move to the ESL.

They wore the Maroon & White, not perhaps to the high standards set by Silvertails members but nevertheless they are a part of our great history.

Farewell and safe travels boys.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4