Matai?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

chrisos

Reserve Grader
does anyone know any news on matai?if hes out? and how long for?any info would be appreciated,thanks.

Word I am hearing gone for the very least this week but likely longer.

No first string Centre, but at least our wingers are back to normal. Its going to be a very long year at this rate, this is the horror run with injuries we didnt need

Regarding our injuries, if we can have a full strength side by round 7 or 8 all is not lost. Not great, I admit - but injuries heal and so do injured attitudes. Still in with a chance of picking up in '09.

in this day and age you only have to make the 8, which means you only have to be better than half the teams. I am confident we can make the 8 by the end of the year, once our injury woes are over. From this point on, making the top 4 by the semi's would have me chalking the season up as a success

Dan, for once today I'm in agreement.  Our squad will gradually come back to life and we will make the eight.  From there it's a new comp really.  And with this poor start, we'll certainly have very few, if any, player losses during the rep SOO games.  There's a ray of sunshine.

DSM5 link said:
Dan, for once today I'm in agreement.  Our squad will gradually come back to life and we will make the eight.  From there it's a new comp really.  And with this poor start, we'll certainly have very few, if any, player losses during the rep SOO games.  There's a ray of sunshine.
Under that wonderful radar again!

And I have been wondering for a while whether Brett Stewart (assuming he's not in jail soon  ;) ) would be thinking to decline selection for SOO given the bitterness and disapointment he'd feel over what has gone on with Mr Gallop, the media, his own undisciplined role in sabotaging Manly's season beginning etc....

But Steve Matai out is a huge loss so lets hope he's not off for long. Given his history of shoulder and neck problems this injury is probably not much of a surprise but very unwanted. Puts getting rid of Beaver in a different light doesn't it - there was an experienced bloke who could fill in super competently in a number of roles= 5/8 centre forwards captain - unfortunately shows our lack of depth in experienced quality centres now with killer gone.

I'll wait 'till after the Tiges game to call on whether we make the 8. I am going to support them no matter what but they look very doubtful on current form. A bit like Canterbury in 1996, after taking the premiership (in dubious circumstances the year before), they lost 7 of their first 8 and despite winning 10 of their last 13 games they still didn't make it.

ManlyBacker link said:
I'll wait 'till after the Tiges game to call on whether we make the 8. I am going to support them no matter what but they look very doubtful on current form. A bit like Canterbury in 1996, after taking the premiership (in dubious circumstances the year before), they lost 7 of their first 8 and despite winning 10 of their last 13 games they still didn't make it.

well thats pretty much spot on, unless we start winning soon we are in trouble. losing 7 of 8 would kill us, if we can win the next 4 games we are fine.

tbh, I would not be surprised if Matai runs out this weekend. Well, if we are down on troops, I would pick him as being the sort of bloke who will be in Des' and the docs ears about being ok to play, whether they allow it could be a different story

Meanwhile, Manly centre Steve Matai has also undergone scans on his injured neck and the Sea Eagles expected to get the results on Tuesday morning.

Matai reportedly experienced feeling pins and needles, a worrying sign for the Kiwi international who has a history of neck and shoulder problems.

http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=54320

Matabele link said:
He should have had surgery in the off season rather than playing in a mickey mouse competition.

I thought he did before the final

I think wolfman and Tony Williams will go alright if that's the way Des goes i was hoping for a Tony Williams & Matai centre pairing Matai will be missed out their he shares a lot of the work with the forwards.

I can't understand how the doctors always tell Matai he is fit to play when he gets hurt every time he plays and its usually the same injury, ie his neck. I hope the docotrs know what they are doing. Terrible luck for a tremendous player, but I'd hate to see him get seriously hurt. I always expect to hear him announce his retirement.

Matai has a chronic problem that will most likely never go away. All the surgery in the world will not do anything for the issue. The club just manages it as best they can. Ask anyone who has had a pinched nerve, or skeleton/nerve issues in the neck and it is not a pleasant thing.

Canteen Worker link said:
Matai has a chronic problem that will most likely never go away. All the surgery in the world will not do anything for the issue. The club just manages it as best they can. Ask anyone who has had a pinched nerve, or skeleton/nerve issues in the neck and it is not a pleasant thing.

CW is right, they cannot fix Mattai's problem. It's going to be assessed week by week by our medical staff. Hopefully he'll be right for this week.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6