Mata Has a Letter Published in the SMH

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
I just choked on my lunch. Matabele has a letter published in today's Sydney Morning Herald correspondence pages. He basically criticizes Roy Masters for his ordinary comments in Saturday's comment about Manly and filthy lucre!!!  Good on you Mata!

Give it a rest

At least Roy Masters can't be accused of inconsistency after 30 years of ranting on with the same old tired claptrap when it comes to Manly-Warringah ("I loathe them because filthy lucre is no cure for moral bankruptcy", October 4-5). Perhaps someone could wake him up to point out that every NRL club relies on the dollar and signing players from countrywide to bolster their stocks.

Andrew Grant Dubbo

What a sad, bitter, twisted old man Roy Masters has turned into. Talk about Grumpy Old Man.

Mary Finkelsen Collaroy

LMFAO!!!  I didn't think there was any way they would publish that.  I'll dig out the full version where I called him intellectually bankrupt!

My FULL letter to the editor:

At least Roy Masters can't be accused of inconsistency after thirty years of ranting on with the same old tired claptrap when it comes to Manly Warringah.

Masters writes "filthy lucre is no cure for moral bankruptcy".  Perhaps someone could wake him up from thirty years of mediocrity to point out that every NRL club relies on the dollar and signing players from countrywide to bolster their stocks.

How many genuine local players featured in the 2005 edition of his beloved Tigpies when they won their Premiership?

Roy, you're a good example that journalistic balance and context are no cure for intellectual bankruptcy. 

Masters article today

Orford the eye of the twister that trumped the Storm
By ROY MASTERS - SMH |
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4717715a2201.html

With a combination of guts, guile and glitzy play, a relentless Manly surged over the Melbourne side that looked like a savage storm that had already blown its last breath, the Sea Eagles reversing last year's grand final result in an emphatic display.

Redemption surged across the ANZ Stadium field like an unstoppable maroon and white current, with Melbourne, drained by the loss of their captain, Cam Smith, and the recent controversies, unable to offer any counter.

Manly captain Matt Orford, formerly of Melbourne, played like a toy tornado, a high-pressure cell twisting and turning and terrorising Storm defenders in the line, teasing them with multiple options to kick, run or pass.

In terms of margin of victory, effort and variety, the game was a mirror reverse of last year's comprehensive win by Melbourne. The game was effectively over by the 51st minute, when left winger Michael Robertson scored his third try to make it 18-0.

Manly always threatened with a greater range of options in attack, while their defence appeared to suck the passion from their disbelieving and shocked opponents.

The Storm's sameness in attack, relying on moving relentlessly forward up the middle, presented little challenge, particularly with stand-in hooker Russell Aitken offering little subtlety and being too slow from dummy half.

A team that kicks together sticks together and Manly's game with the boot far surpassed Melbourne's, both in tempo and territory gained. Melbourne, whenever in a try-scoring position, launched a kick for Israel Folau, he of the spring-loaded leap - but it yielded nothing.

Manly, however, cleverly used halves Orford and Jamie Lyon, who seemed to have all the time to kick via the relentless go-forward of their hard working pack.

Manly's forward pack made 651 metres; Melbourne's 396. The go-forward domination extended to team figures: Manly 1612 metres; Melbourne 1162.

The entire Sea Eagles team played with heart and hustle, yet the head ruled often when opportunities opened out wide, such as long links or a kick to the flanks.

The score was 8-0 at half-time, but a measure of Manly's method in ripping the game open in the second half were the line-break statistics. Overall, their line breaks were 9-2 - but the second-half figures were 6-1.

Earlier in the day, Manly's No.1 ticket holder and the code's most eminent intellectual, Tom Keneally, said on TV - speaking the unadorned yet passionate language of the rugby league supporter - "I hope Michael Crocker gets sent off."

As events transpired, Melbourne could have had two Crockers on the field and it would have made little difference to the shocking scoreline. The premiers were impotent. Perhaps a fortnight of defying dramas debilitated the Storm. The try that produced the highest winning margin in a grand final came three minutes from the end and demonstrated the majesty of Manly and the misery of Melbourne.

Second-rower Anthony Watmough surged forward and unloaded to benchman Heath L'Estrange, who found Orford. He passed to Glenn Hall, who slipped a pass to Brett Stewart, who flicked it to Steve Bell for 40-0, surpassing the Roosters' humiliation of St George in 1975.

Watmough played with a fire lit by an inner desire to atone for an ineffectual performance in the last year's grand final and persistently punched holes in the Melbourne line and intimidated in defence.

There were times in the first half when the game turned to aerial circus. Storm fullback Billy Slater was placed under enormous pressure by a variety of kicks - high, short, low for the sideline - whereas Melbourne didn't enjoy the same field position to pepper Brett Stewart.

The Storm's kicking battery missed Smith's left-foot grubber kicks from dummy half.

The early forward exchanges were brutally tough but lacked the fiery confrontations anticipated. Rugby league is now a 17-man game and in terms of the effort from the bench, the 2008 grand final demonstrated that emphatically.

Manly's replacements totalled 330 metres with the ball; Melbourne's 210.

The Sea Eagles' bench included last year's starters; Melbourne's 2007 bench travelled the opposite direction - into this year's starting team.

Manly lock Glenn Stewart has an amazing engine for someone who still looks roly-poly compared to his cut rivals - a little incongruous, like a boxer with a thin nose.

Stewart made 38 tackles and ran the ball 17 times for 140 metres.

Like his teammates, he trained tirelessly over the past 12 months to redeem for last year's loss and send the club's universally admired back-rower and equal first-grade games record-holder, Steve Menzies, out of the NRL with another premiership.

Another forward, prop Brent Kite, played as if he were seeking revenge for being overlooked by NSW and Storm coach Craig Bellamy for this year's State of Origin series. Kite made 19 runs for 167 metres, together with 26 tackles, missing none.

Orford, the Dally M winner, summed up the redemptive mood of the day and a year of hard work when asked whether the pain of 2007 had passed. "That's well and truly gone," he said.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
Kite made 19 runs for 167 metres, together with 26 tackles, missing none.

Missing NONE!!! top effort! he made an important tackle on inglis if i remember correctly... I wonder how many white missed?

lsz link said:
There is a rumour on Crikey that Masters is gorrrnnneee from SMH
LOL  It took them this long to realise the obvious?  If he does go I will be able to add him to my list of people whove lost their job due to my poison pen.  ;)

lsz link said:

Wouldn't surprise me. His writing is terrible these days, full of disconnected sentences and allusions. He's mistaken being incoherent and pompous for a "style" . . .

Ron E. Gibbs link said:
[quote author=lsz link=topic=178701.msg201001#msg201001 date=1223619122]

Wouldn't surprise me. His writing is terrible these days, full of disconnected sentences and allusions. He's mistaken being incoherent and pompous for a "style" . . .
[/quote]

Piers Ackerman has been doing that for years!

Matabele link said:
[quote author=lsz link=topic=178701.msg201001#msg201001 date=1223619122]
LOL  It took them this long to realise the obvious?  If he does go I will be able to add him to my list of people whove lost their job due to my poison pen.  ;)
[/quote]

lol

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4