Manly's home grown talent

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
It really seems we are becoming Manly again. Lots of the current squad debuted for the Sea Eagles and some others barely had any experience elsewhere.
Players who debuted for Manly:
Turbo
Garrick
Taufua
Funa
Parker
Foran
DCE
Jake
Haumole
Schuster
Keppie
Cust
Fainu
Paseka
Titmuss*

Could debut
(Sadler)
(Burbo)
(Koala)

Harper 2 games for dogs
Croaker 1 game for Raiders
Saab 7 for goons
Sipley 2 games for worriers
Tuipulotu 1 game chooks

That is a pretty impressive stat. Other than a few big names (kapow,Siro etc) and a game here and there just about all break into firsts at Manly.

It really seems we are becoming Manly again. Lots of the current squad debuted for the Sea Eagles and some others barely had any experience elsewhere.
Players who debuted for Manly:
Turbo
Garrick
Taufua
Funa
Parker
Foran
DCE
Jake
Haumole
Schuster
Keppie
Cust
Fainu
Paseka
Titmuss*

Could debut
(Sadler)
(Burbo)
(Koala)

Harper 2 games for dogs
Croaker 1 game for Raiders
Saab 7 for goons
Sipley 2 games for worriers
Tuipulotu 1 game chooks

That is a pretty impressive stat. Other than a few big names (kapow,Siro etc) and a game here and there just about all break into firsts at Manly.
Well spotted, and I like it. Obviously part of it is due to not being able to buy expensive imports, yet developing youngsters inhouse feels better in many ways.

Feels a lot like 1993-4 in the lead up to 95-97.

Kosef, Beaver, Gartner, Elsegood, Chris Ryan, Danny Moore, Ivan Cleary, Hopoate
I agree and I think we should look inward and not outwards for our next premiership team. We dont need any more overpaid hired guns at the end of their careers. We certainly dont need to pay overs for that type of player. Lets focus on developing what we have and build a legacy from that. For 2021 we only need a backup fulback, backup centre/wing and if Fainu gets convicted a starting nine. (Lawton is our fourteen)

Feels a lot like 1993-4 in the lead up to 95-97.

Kosef, Beaver, Gartner, Elsegood, Chris Ryan, Danny Moore, Ivan Cleary, Hopoate
I hope not, Ivan Cleary left us in the 94 season because Ridge was returning from injury. Probably one of the dumbest releases in our history. By 98 Cleary was the league top scorer he put 284 on the board alone. Ridge was top scorer in 94 but by 97 was gone to the warriors.

Policy is driven by economics ... we have not been in a position to buy big name players for a decade ... but it shows you can still put a good squad together on a budget with smart recruitment ... well done Baz and Dessie ...

Keeping the likes of the Turbo's, Fainu's, schuster, Guacamole, et al together when their value shyrockets will be the next big problem ...

Policy is driven by economics ... we have not been in a position to buy big name players for a decade ... but it shows you can still put a good squad together on a budget with smart recruitment ... well done Baz and Dessie ...

Keeping the likes of the Turbo's, Fainu's, schuster, Guacamole, et al together when their value shyrockets will be the next big problem ...
Des has already signed Turbos, Schuster, Haumole, and Manase to long term contracts. He's all over those details.

I was having this convo on Twitter. After seeing all the young talent the Broncos have let go, I realised I don't remember the last young gun we were truly distraught at letting go. Maybe Gutho? But even then it was understandable with Tommy T favoured over him. Yes, you could say Hynes, but when he was at Manly he wasn't frothed over like he is now. Someone pointed out though that Gutho and Hynes were both let go by Barrett. Des seems to have a great retention rate with our young guns like the Fainu's, Haumole, Schuster, Paseka, Keppie etc.

I think we go back to JWH as players we really didn't want to lose. Yes Gutho was a source of some angst at the time but that has mainly grown exponentially due to his career blossoming after the event. Hynes wasn't even noticed (in fact from his interview it seems Manly dropped him quite rudely). We wanted to keep Lane but hardly an earth-shattering loss. We wanted to keep Blake Green but he went for Blake Greener pastures, twisted our arm really.
AFB may be the next big one? Beware hyphenator front rowers!
I was having this convo on Twitter. After seeing all the young talent the Broncos have let go, I realised I don't remember the last young gun we were truly distraught at letting go. Maybe Gutho? But even then it was understandable with Tommy T favoured over him. Yes, you could say Hynes, but when he was at Manly he wasn't frothed over like he is now. Someone pointed out though that Gutho and Hynes were both let go by Barrett. Des seems to have a great retention rate with our young guns like the Fainu's, Haumole, Schuster, Paseka, Keppie etc.

Perhaps more thanks and recognition should be given to Wayne Lambkin, the ex-Westfield sports high coach and Manly u/20's coach , and Scott Fulton and the junior pathways people for getting all these young blokes into the pathways programs before the 1st grade coaches had even heard their names ....

I think you can also count on one hand established first grade players that have left Manly and had equal or better success at their new club.

Foran, Watmough, Glen Stewart, Phil Blake, Wil Hopoate to name a few.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8