Game Day: Tigers v Manly [Round 1, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Pre-match Thread here

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

1. Brendan Elliott
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Moses Suli
4. Brad Parker
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Kane Elgey
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Apisai Koroisau
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

Interchange

14. Trent Hodkinson
15. Jack Gosiewski
16. Kelepi Tanginoa
17. Toafofoa Sipley
18. Tevita Funa
19. Cade Cust
20. Lloyd Perrett
21. Lachlan Croker

Game Day

Date — Saturday, March 16, 2019

Time — 5:30pm AEDT

Venue — Leichhardt Oval (Lilyfield, NSW)

EVENT DETAILS
2:45pm — Wests Tigers Ticket Box Opens

3:00pm — Gates Open at Leichhardt Oval

3:15pm — CC (ISP)
Western Suburbs Magpies vs
Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles

5:30pm — NRL
Wests Tigers vs
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

giphy.gif

Jorge
https://twitter.com/NRL/status/1106833102561636352?s=19

Team Song

Match Highlights 6-20 @:worried:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBVrn_SGKAOv3yKPi4Oc3-A

https://www.nrl.com/tv/news/match-highlights-wests-tigers-v-sea-eagles-838865/

https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/tels...xtended-highlights-wests-tigers-v-sea-eagles/

Presser
https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra-premiership/2019/round-1/sea-eagles-round-1/

Last edited:
Don't want to start a riot,but Hodko?..............
Across the board it was poor. Wet weather football you have to do the basics right. Someone has to play the percentages, get us completing sets and play smart football.. Farah and Marshall showed their experience. We were in the game at half time despite ourselves. All we had to do after the break was lift the effort, complete sets and do the simple things right. We got worse. I was the same last year. No leader, no one steering the team. DCE is a great player off the back of go forward and a wonderful running half, but for mine he'll never be elite level until he can get some better game management skills

Thought Sipley should’ve been given more than 5 minutes.
DCEs confidence was shot after he missed that tackle. Surprised they didn’t get Elgey kicking a bit more in the second half once that was evident.
Anyway it’s only round 1. The razor blades aren’t needed as yet.

I'm surprised we didn't have LG kicking long during the game. Once the Tigpies worked out that Cherry was our only long kicker, they rushed him on the last most times (sounds oddly familiar......), helped greatly be usually being 2-3 metres offside when they started and not being called for it.

Don't get me wrong, not blaming the refs. They didn't drop more balls than a litter of male only puppies, that was all us.

Defensively I think it was a lot better than it has been in recent years. Their first try was pure luck, good or bad whichever side you support. Unfortunately for us it was bad luck. Offensively we look clunky right now, very clunky, and losing track of the tackle count a few times didn't help.

Suli was very impressive and that flick pass he got to Garrick was something I hope we see a lot more of. And Parker was solid without being spectacular, but he did nothing wrong out there. I think in all honesty, centre is his spot. Put him on the wing at your own risk.

And yes, we will be better with Tom at fullback. Elliot is OK, but not someone you want full time in the #1 jumper.

Realistically, we could have scored 3 tries today instead of only one, and that would have changed the whole game. Jorge's, Siro's which was a joke, and Parker should have had the easiest try he's ever likely to score. Only getting one of them didn't help.

Watched the game. First half defence was solid. Effort good, execution poor. Second half kicking game & ball control poor. I am quite hopeful that Manly can build & have a good season. Lots of areas to improve, especially in attack. Turbo & Fainu will help this. Elgey needs to get more involved, esp. with kicking. Suli went well & Parker was solid. Elliot was ordinary and Hodko doesn't offer much as replacement hooker.

Manly will likely have a slow first half of season, but with no major injuries should have a good back end with young guns, such as Hopoate, coming through.

Thought Sipley should’ve been given more than 5 minutes.
DCEs confidence was shot after he missed that tackle. Surprised they didn’t get Elgey kicking a bit more in the second half once that was evident.
Anyway it’s only round 1. The razor blades aren’t needed as yet.

I'm surprised we didn't have LG kicking long during the game. Once the Tigpies worked out that Cherry was our only long kicker, they rushed him on the last most times (sounds oddly familiar......), helped greatly be usually being 2-3 metres offside when they started and not being called for it.

Don't get me wrong, not blaming the refs. They didn't drop more balls than a litter of male only puppies, that was all us.

Defensively I think it was a lot better than it has been in recent years. Their first try was pure luck, good or bad whichever side you support. Unfortunately for us it was bad luck. Offensively we look clunky right now, very clunky, and losing track of the tackle count a few times didn't help.

Suli was very impressive and that flick pass he got to Garrick was something I hope we see a lot more of. And Parker was solid without being spectacular, but he did nothing wrong out there. I think in all honesty, centre is his spot. Put him on the wing at your own risk.

And yes, we will be better with Tom at fullback. Elliot is OK, but not someone you want full time in the #1 jumper.

Realistically, we could have scored 3 tries today instead of only one, and that would have changed the whole game. Jorge's, Siro's which was a joke, and Parker should have had the easiest try he's ever likely to score. Only getting one of them didn't help.

Agree defence was a real improvement. My only real concern is attack looked clunky but thats to expect because it's round 1 and the team is playing under new structures. Will take time for it to improve but I'm a realist we won't make the 8 this year. Hasler needs to get rid of some of Barrett's dead wood and bring in guys he wants.

A few positives, suli played well, AFB (apart from the late tackle) did plenty of minutes and looked strong, api was immense in defence and Marty went well while he was on the field. Negatives, individual errors really cost us (nothing different from last year), we don't have a bench, and no-one can count to 5 tackles because it looks like a shock when the ref sticks his hand in the air and calls 5

Just words Kane. You've been around long enough to know all this. It just means you're not up to it.

Just got home from the game, feet still swimming in my shoes, another soaking on the Leichhardt hill. Summary - it absolutely poured down most of the game, got soaked through. Never thought we would win today but not hugely disappointed with the team either. Our defence was a million times better than last year. We played dry weather footy in the rain which was never going to work. Our kicking game was pretty rubbish, we made so many dumb mistakes I was surprised we weren’t down by about 20+ at half time. They got set after set on our line and we held them out. School boy errors killed us. Our consolation try at the close shut all the obnoxious tigers fans up (thank god). Hopefully we take a lot away from that game. Right now we are not really in the same league as the rorters etc but then we have a limited cap to work with. Onwards and upwards - Go Manly

Poor effort by DCE with the boot today and really bad last play options. No help from Elgey. We couldn't capitalise on a good defensive effort in the first half. We really need DCE firing to have any chance of a decent season. Still, enough promising signs. Suli played well, Marty was strong, Api solid. Tafua needs to donate his hair to charity and focus on catching the ball..

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6