Manly V Souths [Round Finals Week 3 2013]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

driftout

Reserve Grader
We had the game plan to beat them last time at BlueTongue Stadium but we were derailed by the Matai no-try ruling. Basically play at high intensity for the first 25 minutes or so , establish a lead then use the remaining petrol in the tank to hold on. Souths have wobbled in the 2nd half both times they've come off the bye this year (almost being run down by the Titans and beaten by the Dragons in golden point without Inglis ). I'm not so sure having the week off will help them that much as some teams lose momentum and rhythm and fade towards the end of a match. They looked pretty nervous in their last 2 outings against Easts and Melbourne and Reynolds especially seemed to go into his shell. They'll certainly be feeling the heat.

RE: Manly V Souths Match Day Thread

i think souths will be feeling the pressure with expectations to perform, however battered, tired and bruised at this end of the season does take a toll.

( last year against melbourne , almost identical situation ).

fresh team and with brett ready to fire i would feel very confident , though without brett ,battered in front of a huge bunny crowd ( lets not forget the pinkies ) i think the task is enormous so im embracing myself for a loss.
( hope im wrong , love to see us in the GF ).

souths will be up for this one...

bookies odds dont help !!!!

Hope you are right.

I agree with the week off , great if you have a star with serious injury BUT you do lose the momentum

It was very interesting the comments about being fatigued and exhausted after 20 min by our guys. They didn't expect it and weren't quite prepared for it but they adapted and overcame it. This week Tooves and Donny will have them better prepared for it. I think we'll see that Manly will be tuned to the fatigue factor now whereas the vermin will feel it at the back end. If we are close or in front with 15 to go I'll back us to come over the top of them. They won't expect it and they won't be prepared for it.

I'd love to hear this week, that like the '78 side, they brought in a special forces guy to guide them and talk to them about the fatigue battle.

panash said:
i think souths will be feeling the pressure with expectations to perform, however battered, tired and bruised at this end of the season does take a toll.

fresh team and with brett ready to fire i would feel very confident , though without brett ,battered in front of a huge bunny crowd ( lets not forget the pinkies ) i think the task is enormous so im embracing myself for a loss.

knights were almost $4 last night

shauneagle said:
panash said:

knights were almost $4 last night

i know , but they also got lucky 2 tries from dropped bombs and a penalty that should of been given in front of the posts 18-18...

saying that , i hope we win !!! i think this will be a tougher game than the roosters due to fatigue and injuries....

lets face it , we lose the roosters are the most likely to win it..

The good news is that Farrell and Asotasi escaped suspension against Melbourne as they are weak links. The Walker/Farrell corridor can be exploited . Asotasi makes a lot of errors. Maybe the role played by Issac Luke can be shared by Buhrer/DCE and Hiku (if he plays) . We really could use some quick darts from dummy half to get the big Souths forwards backtracking. Apart from Inglis , the Souths backline is ordinary. We'll have to expect that trick play between Luke and Inglis close to the line because they've had a lot of success with it this year.

Sutton has improved a lot but there is still a question mark over him under pressure. When he tries to be a ball player and set up his outside men Souths go backwards, but when he just punches the ball up Souths look a lot better. Just like when DCE goes forward , Manly look a lot better.

If Reynolds' kicking game is on it will be a tough night , but there's no guarantee that will happen given his recent form. Souths will try to weather the early onslaught and come home strongly...I just hope the referees don't have an undue influence on the result.

If we can play with concrete wall type defence and offer no way through and hold them to no line breaks like we did against the roosters we are a chance

driftout said:
The good news is that Farrell and Asotasi escaped suspension against Melbourne as they are weak links. The Walker/Farrell corridor can be exploited . Asotasi makes a lot of errors. Maybe the role played by Issac Luke can be shared by Buhrer/DCE and Hiku (if he plays) . We really could use some quick darts from dummy half to get the big Souths forwards backtracking. Apart from Inglis , the Souths backline is ordinary. We'll have to expect that trick play between Luke and Inglis close to the line because they've had a lot of success with it this year.

Sutton has improved a lot but there is still a question mark over him under pressure. When he tries to be a ball player and set up his outside men Souths go backwards, but when he just punches the ball up Souths look a lot better. Just like when DCE goes forward , Manly look a lot better.

If Reynolds' kicking game is on it will be a tough night , but there's no guarantee that will happen given his recent form. Souths will try to weather the early onslaught and come home strongly...I just hope the referees don't have an undue influence on the result.

I like your thinking, however I imagine Souths will be trying out the very busy David Williams turnstile down the other end.

We are a tough team and the last two brutal matches have made us even tougher. The rabbit forwards are big but the bigger they are the harder they fall. We can and will win this !!!

Manly were embarrassed by our performance against the Storm last year to repeat a game like that again in a semi.

Souffs could hardly take confidence from their last 2 performances.

The Rooters gave them a toweling and they beat the Scum who have been going like busteds for a month.

Had Waqa's try been awarded, as it should have been, and the call for the Slater try gone the other way, we'd be playing the Scum this weekend.

We are in this up to our eyeballs.

The Round 24 Bulldogs v Souths game shows the way to beat Souths (even though the Bulldogs lost, Hasler was very eager to play Souths again). They really exposed Walker and Farrell in the last 25 minutes. Their other tries came from Merrit rushing in and a short ball from Graham to Halatau. Short balls in theory should be effective against some of the bigger Souths forwards. Goodwin is a good player and has done a good job on Lyon in the past , but as a centre at NRL level is still on his P Plates and can rush up out of the defensive line at times as he did against Easts .

driftout said:
The Round 24 Bulldogs v Souths game shows the way to beat Souths (even though the Bulldogs lost, Hasler was very eager to play Souths again). They really exposed Walker and Farrell in the last 25 minutes. Their other tries came from Merrit rushing in and a short ball from Graham to Halatau. Short balls in theory should be effective against some of the bigger Souths forwards. Goodwin is a good player and has done a good job on Lyon in the past , but as a centre at NRL level is still on his P Plates and can rush up out of the defensive line at times as he did against Easts .

The dogs really pushed them hard in that game and played like busteds all season . The halves match up should be awesome . Souffs pulled our pants down in Gosford - cant see an encore to that at all

Terry Zarsoff said:
I like your thinking, however I imagine Souths will be trying out the very busy David Williams turnstile down the other end.

I'm thinking the same thing. Gus has been doing his best to alert everyone that killer and wolfie go a long way infield and souffs really tried to exploit this last game more than any other team we've played this year.

That's the aspect that has me the most worried more than:

Fatigue,
Big pack,
dirty tactics,
Need for souffs to be in the gf (how did thurston not get fined?)
Biased refs.
Incompetent refs.
Clueless video refs
Biased ex player video assistants, and
refs refs refs refs and refs.

Classic - that mental image will haunt them during the game, and probably for life :p

It's really important to get to this game if you can.

Keep in mind, if you stay at home to watch it on nein, all you'll see is 80 mins of Mrs Burgess reactions to her sons efforts from the stands!

Frankly, I think the result will come down to luck and the bounce of the ball.
The so-called experts seem to forget that Manly were by far the better team against Easts. Yet Easts, who couldn't make one line break, are now favourite to win the comp!
Against Cronulla we had the luck.
The top teams are very even. No supporter of any of the remaining four should be overconfident.

driftout said:
The good news is that Farrell and Asotasi escaped suspension against Melbourne as they are weak links.

I still can't believe Farrell escaped suspension.

Oh, that's right - Souths are exempt from being charged by the match review committee....

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8