PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Chooks v Manly [Round 1, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I actually give us a good chance. DCE and Foz combo back controlling the game. A lot more strike and the X factor of Schuster. I can see us pulling off an upset!
I'm also confident the Croker and Cust options at hooker will be more than competent!

BUT, what does the ref think??

Say 6 x 6 agains first 20 minutes against us and X Factors mean **** all.

In attack he will be fine but not sure about his positional play in defence.
Maybe Des can see Walker has lost all confidence in defence so wants to hide him at the back?
But hiding at the back he’ll eventually have to make a definitive tackle, you can’t play there all game directing your defence if they don’t have trust in you.
And I have memories of him filling in at the back and he couldn’t catch COVID if he was in Italy.

Team list Tuesday in 2 days.

Really interested to see the first list but it’s not until we get the final 17 that if gets interesting,

Gee wouldn’t at upset be fun.

Still waiting to hear what became of Cust's hand or wrist injury....or did I miss something. Is he fit to play this week?
It was a thumb injury - I'm sure I read or heard somewhere that it ended up not being broken, but not sure if he will be right for Round 1 or not.

Rooters with no Radley/Verrills/Cordner and a new halves pairing in a Rd.1 game, and a couple of other injuries to fringe players vs Manly less Turbo (and Fainu obv).

I dunno.... I don't think we should be written off.

Although admittedly Manly have started rusty the last 2 years under Des. Having only a single Trial this year we may see that happen again - but in both those years we had a better win-loss ratio by rd 5. (lets not mention the injuries that followed..)

Both teams didn't finish 2020 the way they would have liked (60-8 followed by straight-sets defeats in the finals must hurt), and both clubs will have plenty to prove, as well as a pretty decent rivalry over the 2010's:
Are the Rooters a club on the slide after a double in 2018-19?
Was Manly's injury situation the sole cause their late-season results?

Should be a cracker, can't wait!

Rooters with no Radley/Verrills/Cordner and a new halves pairing in a Rd.1 game, and a couple of other injuries to fringe players vs Manly less Turbo (and Fainu obv).

I dunno.... I don't think we should be written off.

Although admittedly Manly have started rusty the last 2 years under Des. Having only a single Trial this year we may see that happen again - but in both those years we had a better win-loss ratio by rd 5. (lets not mention the injuries that followed..)

Both teams didn't finish 2020 the way they would have liked (60-8 followed by straight-sets defeats in the finals must hurt), and both clubs will have plenty to prove, as well as a pretty decent rivalry over the 2010's:

Should be a cracker, can't wait!
I honestly can’t remember the last time Manly won a first round match.

Lets face it for most of the second half of last season our major atacking outlet was DCE then followed by.....dunno Suli? Though he was injured for a chunk so Cust or Jake?

At least now we have DCE, Foran then Walker (hopefully Schuster off the bench) before we start reaching

Last edited:
Lets face it for most of the second half of last season our major atacking outlet was DCE then followed by.....dunno Suli? Though he was injured for a chunk so Cust or Jake?

At least now we have DCE, Foran then Walker before we start reaching
I don’t get the negativity around the side by so many so called experts.Yes,injuries will be the major factor and no.9 is a big issue,but the players they’ve bought and the exposure some got from playing first grade last year,has given the side more depth.The key will be Hasler and how he deals with the speed of the game and his selections.Des has always tried to have his teams play a spoiling game in defence,hence why they’re heavily penalised,but with the new rules,he needs to adapt.Bellamy used to deploy those types of tactics,but he was smart enough to roll with the changes,can Hasler?

24-0 to the Rorters at the 20 minute mark off a ****load of 6 agains.

Half time 30-4

36-14 at the 60 minute mark ( Rorters way ).

42-18 full time Rorters

Will be pretty close to this ( not the game ) with the game won in the first 20 minutes off the back of an incredible possession rate of 92% to 8% Rorters way.

PS: see how close I go
Yeah, can't argue with that. It seems about right. Our lack of fitness and ****ty defence will again be shown up early. I reckon 12 to 0 after 10 minutes.

IF we had a fit Tom, a 2019 AFB and Manase at 9 I'd be optimistic. Without them I feel we lack the punch in those 3 key areas that can decide a game. Speed, offloads and skill all missing.
It's rorters by plenty.

I honestly can’t remember the last time Manly won a first round match.
Losing game one does not necessarily mean it will be the end of our season

But winning game one will give us a big boost of confidence that our team needs coming from the back of only one win from our last 11 games .

We need to feel the Great euphoria of winning again and get addicted to winning again

*Bring back that winning feeling Des . Starting from Game one !!! *
20210308_192407.jpg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4