PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Chooks v Manly [Round 1, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I honestly think we may be surprised come 80 min next week.
I too share the horror of a complete arse rimming but I do feel there are a few important changes to season 2020 for us.
I'm guessing Foran will start and that will make a huge point of difference just in the general shape of the team. Gone will be DCE having to roam around overplaying his hand in an attempt to cover the other playmaker as has been the norm over the last few years.

Take out Forans injury issues the guy is still a gun. Probably the best in a poor dogs side last year and one of the best in the comp on his day.

Des loves structure and a DCE/FOZ partnership will give that in spades.

I see Schuster as a 14 for at least a few weeks to months as he learns the trade of the 1% plays. No doubt he's special and by half year I expect him and FOZ working in a 1 - 2 punch role if the 9 needs a break.

AFB going will be a big + and I think Paseka and Allo Vera will prove very good this year.

Rooters have new halves combo again and no Corner or Rads. They are 2 big outs. The Morris boys are both a year older and will be that half pace slower. The wonder kid may get a start and will go either great or have a shocker.

I would go so far to say that had Turbo been fit and ready to go we could gibe them a touch-up but any win will be excellent.

I honestly think we may be surprised come 80 min next week.
I too share the horror of a complete arse rimming but I do feel there are a few important changes to season 2020 for us.
I'm guessing Foran will start and that will make a huge point of difference just in the general shape of the team. Gone will be DCE having to roam around overplaying his hand in an attempt to cover the other playmaker as has been the norm over the last few years.

Take out Forans injury issues the guy is still a gun. Probably the best in a poor dogs side last year and one of the best in the comp on his day.

Des loves structure and a DCE/FOZ partnership will give that in spades.

I see Schuster as a 14 for at least a few weeks to months as he learns the trade of the 1% plays. No doubt he's special and by half year I expect him and FOZ working in a 1 - 2 punch role if the 9 needs a break.

AFB going will be a big + and I think Paseka and Allo Vera will prove very good this year.

Rooters have new halves combo again and no Corner or Rads. They are 2 big outs. The Morris boys are both a year older and will be that half pace slower. The wonder kid may get a start and will go either great or have a shocker.

I would go so far to say that had Turbo been fit and ready to go we could gibe them a touch-up but any win will be excellent.

Finally a sensible comment.

Having the Foran/DCE halves will definitely be an improvement on 2020 that’s for sure, not to mention an improved back line having an aerial attack in Saab and having both Walker and Suli fit for the start of the season

I have no idea here. I'm just concerned about our defense. Last weeks effort was abysmal and doesn't give me any confidence that we can keep teams below about 16 pts which is what needed to win. Could be them by 30+ or 6. Cant see us winning.

I have no idea here. I'm just concerned about our defense. Last weeks effort was abysmal and doesn't give me any confidence that we can keep teams below about 16 pts which is what needed to win. Could be them by 30+ or 6. Cant see us winning.
Agree. Unless we fix the defence, especially in the "new NRL", we are no hope. The other problem being that there are no close scores anymore. There are only two possible outcomes in an NRL game these days: either you flog the other team or you get flogged. And it's hard to see us doing the flogging.

I tend to disagree with Radley and Cordner ruled out.

Yes they’re got plenty of fire power but the Chooks are also notably slow starters to a season.

If Turbo is our only injury heading into Round 1 then I’ll still be confident we can jag a win.
Yeah, but we are also notorious for our slow starts to season

I think we are a chance. Just don’t want to see us fold. Very hard to get a read.

Will wait and see just what side Des picks . So many areas to improve and do better then the latter part of last season , irrespective of injuries . If they don 't put a lot more consistency and organization in defence , no chance and won" t be even competitive . Still a quite capable side with the players still available and with the most prudent selections. , Again , will just wait to see what type of a side and personal is selected

i think schulster will be in the 17.

we will miss turbo but i feel foran will take a lot of pressure of chez.

even without tom we look to have more in attack walker in his proper position in the centre’s foran, dce and schulster if he comes off the bench.

we might not win but i think we are gonna surprise a lot of people this year.

As anyone asked the referee who he wants to win , because he’s the one that decides it, not anything else.

6 agains , and multiples of them in the first 20 minutes will tell you who the chosen one is for that day.
I like so much of what you say Mark, but a referee doesn't miss our tackles. A referee doesn't have us constantly our of position. A referee doesn't ignore buying a competent 9 if the regular one is pretty much out for the season. A referee isn't responsible for there being no sure backup for an injury riddled player. A referee doesn't instil resolve into a team.
We have a great many problems before we can start blaming a ref.

Because I care about the NRL way less than I used to, the Roosters team is a bit of a mystery to me. I know that Crichton is a gun, but apart from him, JWH and Jake Friend, I know bugger all about their pack. I do know, however, that the game - like every game of rugby league - will be won or lost in the forwards. So our pack needs to be better than theirs.

We'll soon find out how much we're going miss AFB and Thommo. I feel okay about our front row stocks - especially if we throw in Jake - but the back row could be a weakness (with Guacomole not in the running, Davey's really going to have to step up) and the less said about the hooker's spot, the better. We've flogged that dead horse over and over:)

Can we win? Of course we can. Will we win? No idea. A round one loss won't spell the end of our season, just like a win won't suddenly mean we're a premiership force. It's going to be a long season no matter what. All we can hope is that the players are up for the challenge and that Des has a master plan. It'll be nice to cheer the boys on regardless.

I like so much of what you say Mark, but a referee doesn't miss our tackles. A referee doesn't have us constantly our of position. A referee doesn't ignore buying a competent 9 if the regular one is pretty much out for the season. A referee isn't responsible for there being no sure backup for an injury riddled player. A referee doesn't instil resolve into a team.
If a team is defending for the first 20 minutes, it doesn't matter how good they are!

If a team is defending for the first 20 minutes, it doesn't matter how good they are!
The two best defensive teams in 2020 were last year's grand finalists. I'd suggest we stop being so one eyed and actually become the brilliant defenders that our great teams once were and let the refs deal with that.
And seriously. I could see the penalties coming a mile away last year with the same stupid (and avoidable) infringements, game in and game out.

While I hate the six again rule, I am still looking forward to being able to watch some footy again. That is the best thing about having a long break between seasons - you get to miss it so much.

I'd love us to execute a good old fashion ambush. Show some grit, toughness and hard-ass defence like we used to under Des.

Yeah, the development squad and fringe first grade players didn't seem to have much cohesion about their approach. That game is going to have such a huge impact on our top 8 chances this season. Trial games are so very important.

Do i think we get the rough end of the pineapple........yes
Did the last good team get the rough end of the pineapple ....yes
Do we make our own luck ......no
Are we a committed mentally tough team .....no
Are we a smart team ......no
Are we a patient team with self belief ....no
Do we have resilliant leaders that are hungry for team success ....no

Until we fix what we can we cant start whining about the refs. To be so poor on so many basic necessities of the good teams and to be blaming the ref is avoiding the inevitable

For sure the refs calls are frustrating during the game but once you take a step back and see why we dont compete, its pretty obvious we dont have the skill, leaders, or attitude to win based on last seasons performances

Its pretty ordinary after another pasting to watch jake almost in tears and dce joking on field with opposition like they just threw him a surprise party. It starts there. Be humble, be polite , be sporting not exuberant.

As long as we are that team we will be a nothing team even if the great arko himself was in charge of the whistle . You get what you settle for

Ben kennedy would probably murder a few of our team, and i would gladly offer him an alibi

Ref: “6 again roosters, and again. Again!”

also ref: “milking manly, get up and play it!”

Refs:

Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake!
Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake! Jaaaake!

While I hate the six again rule, I am still looking forward to being able to watch some footy again. That is the best thing about having a long break between seasons - you get to miss it so much.

I'd love us to execute a good old fashion ambush. Show some grit, toughness and hard-ass defence like we used to under Des.
If the boys play like they did in 2019 then we’ll be fine. We have recruited better & our overall squad is better so no reason to struggle. Yes injuries will play a part but as I said overall squad & depth is better! We will do well this year!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4