Manly v Melboure ---> Perth

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

manlyfan

Hi guys,

Long time reader very rare poster, anyway, I know there is already a top on this but thought this news warrented a new one. Anyway, here is my scoop for the day.

I have a friend who lives in Perth and works at Subiaco for the AFL. Anyway she has messaged me today telling me that her timetable includes an NRL Match at Pattersons for Manly this year on the 16th June - the weekend we play Melbourne.

This is important for two reasons, it would seem it is now a certainty the Melbourne match has been moved there, and judging by that with the 'exact time start' she says she been given, the match will be on the Saturday night of that weekend (Obviously the NRL has already agreed to that) for those who were interested in going.

Very interesting.. wonder when the club will announce this one?

I spoke with Dave Perry in Leeds, it's 95% just waiting for funding to be signed off by the WA Government, but not yet 100% as if the funding doesn't come through it's not worth taking the game away financially.

That makes sense - I'd like to think you'd be first to know Mark if they were to move it. It would seem Perth is under the impression they have secured the match, and if so, it will be on the Saturday night..

I think it's fair to say it's just geting the paperwork signed.

Dave said he realised full well that fans would be dissapointed would have loved to have one of the other games moved BUT apparently there's a large contingent of Storm fans over there and the funding was contingent on beinbg this exact game.

Yes don't worry I'll be one of the first to know when it's made 100% offcial

Hi Manlyfan,
Interesting that Subiaco Oval (Patterson stadium) is the potential venue.
To my knowledge, all the previous NRL matches that have have been shifted here to Perth have been played out of NIB stadium.
Subiaco oval holds around 40,000 and NIB holds around 22000 but is the typical rectangular league/union/soccer ground. Subiaco/Patterson stadium, is an oval.

Hmmm I was wondering that when I got the message - whether Patterson Stadium is another name for NIB. Would be strange to hold it at Subiaco - can't imagine we are expecting more than 22 000?

Having said that I know this girl has worked at the WACA for Big Bash through the same employment so perhaps NIB will just be using Subiaco workers for the match and she has read it wrong? I'll try and find that out for you guys tomorrow..

Disgraceful decision by the club - without question the biggest game of the year, particularly after last year, and to make it without any form of consultation with all stakeholders, including us loyal supporters who dig deep to buy membership is outrageously naive or damn right rude. Gee Perry you sure know how to win us over . . .

WAMF said:
Hi Manlyfan,
To my knowledge, all the previous NRL matches that have have been shifted here to Perth have been played out of NIB stadium.
Subiaco oval holds around 40,000 and NIB holds around 22000 but is the typical rectangular league/union/soccer ground. Subiaco/Patterson stadium, is an oval.

I think this is because south sydney have a contract with NIB stadium or something to that effect

So do I assume that us season ticket holders get money back for losing a home game?

Surely the club can't possibly take the same money off us whilst taking one game away too?

seaeagles4life said:
WAMF said:
Hi Manlyfan,

I think this is because south sydney have a contract with NIB stadium or something to that effect

SE4life, Surely it's not an exclusive arrangement. NIB is available for hire by anyone with the cash.

Manlyfan, Yes, she's probably been told to keep that day/night free.
Seems mad that it would be played at Subi but the date (16/6) sounds right for rnd 15.
It will be a 7.30pm Sat night kick off.

Just had a looksy at the AFL draw and in Rnd 12 the WCE are playing Carlton at Subiaco Oval on Thursday 14/6 (Mark may want to consider this as an 'additional' excursion for the MWTS tour). That would theoretically the ground enough time to prepare and mark the grounds for an NRL clash two days later but I can't see it being played out of anywhere other than NIB stadium.

lillchip said:
So do I assume that us season ticket holders get money back for losing a home game?

Surely the club can't possibly take the same money off us whilst taking one game away too?

As a season ticket holder, surely you would know how many games you are entitled too at Brookvale?
You will still get your 10 games. The club has the approval to take 2 home games 'away' each season.

lillchip said:

No they take 2 home games away every year and have done so for a number of years, they make no guarantee on where they take those two games or what those two games are. We season ticket holders have paid for 10 home brookvale games and that is what we are getting in 2012. Sorry for being blunt, I just thought I would get some facts straight. I don't like the fact either that they are taking the storm game away but the money must be good for them to take it and if what rumours I heard last year were true, that they were so cash strapped they had to budget strapping tape for the players then they will in the short-term look at all opportunities to get the club back in the black.

WAMF said:
seaeagles4life said:
WAMF said:
Hi Manlyfan,

SE4life, Surely it's not an exclusive arrangement. NIB is available for hire by anyone with the cash.

Manlyfan, Yes, she's probably been told to keep that day/night free.
Seems mad that it would be played at Subi but the date (16/6) sounds right for rnd 15.
It will be a 7.30pm Sat night kick off.

Just had a looksy at the AFL draw and in Rnd 12 the WCE are playing Carlton at Subiaco Oval on Thursday 14/6 (Mark may want to consider this as an 'additional' excursion for the MWTS tour). That would theoretically the ground enough time to prepare and mark the grounds for an NRL clash two days later but I can't see it being played out of anywhere other than NIB stadium.

NRL giants plan WA showdown
NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
February 13, 2012, 6:32 am

A second National Rugby League match is being planned for Perth - a rematch of last season's infamous Manly Sea Eagles and Melbourne Storm "Battle of Brookvale" clash.

Reigning NRL premiers Manly are negotiating to stage the game at Patersons Stadium during the June 15-18 weekend.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs are bringing their match against the Broncos to nib Stadium on March 23, their fourth visit to Perth.

The Sea Eagles-Storm game would be the first time the two teams have fronted each other since last August, when the game erupted into a wild brawl.

Ten players were hit with 11 charges and both clubs were fined $50,000 after ugly scenes marred the 18-4 win to Manly.

WA Rugby League chief executive John Sackson said bringing the game to Perth was a Manly initiative.

"They are inspired by the success of the Rabbitohs and they have been in discussions for several months with the NRL," Sackson said. "It will all come down to whether financially the numbers stack up to make it viable."

It is understood the game would have to be played at Patersons because of a contract clause South Sydney have with nib Stadium.

The WARL is pushing for a Perth NRL side in an expanded competition in three years, and Sackson said the success of Saturday's NRL trial at nib Stadium between St George Illawarra Dragons and North Queensland Cowboys, with a crowd of more than 8500, showed Perth was ready for a side.

"I was very, very pleased. To get that crowd on a weekend when there was a fair bit of sport in Perth was very pleasing," he said.

"Also, given that in a few weeks we have the Rabbitohs here, there was pressure on the discretionary dollar.

"I was delighted. There was plenty of atmosphere, people were passionate, the game was a pretty good spectacle and it was another step in the right direction."

The Cowboys won 18-12 after fending off a St George fight-back.

The Dragons had been stunned earlier by an 18-point Cowboys' scoring burst in the opening 20 minutes.

Dragons coach Steve Price, in his debut in charge, may have to shuffle his side before Saturday's Charity Shield match against the Rabbitohs after Atela Vea (knee) and Dan Hunt (ribs) left the game early.

Looks like it is on for Subiaco then.
I guess Souths are looking to keep a stranglehold over the West and believed they could do so by holding NIB as their own. Just saw this too:

http://www.anzstadium.com.au/events/EventCalendar/EventDetails.aspx?EventContentId=4ea8aeca-b283-412d-8875-1ebe382d0908

How much of the NRL's '5 week planning' really is done 5 weeks in advance then? Or is this a type from Sydney Olympic Park do we think?

Would love the game against the Storm to stay at Brookvale Oval but understand we need to generate more cash. For as long as 10 home games stay at Brookie I'll be a happy man! Let's face facts, Sydney based Manly supporters are spoilt for choice with so many away games played in Sydney that are easily accessible.

manlyfan said:
http://www.anzstadium.com.au/events/EventCalendar/EventDetails.aspx?EventContentId=4ea8aeca-b283-412d-8875-1ebe382d0908

How much of the NRL's '5 week planning' really is done 5 weeks in advance then? Or is this a type from Sydney Olympic Park do we think?

My first thought was Wed WTF, but then my brain kicked in, but I thought the Chooks and Steelers had this day tied up, maybe two matches on ANZAC day then.

If the club gets paid handsomely i applaud the move. I understand the locals would love to watch this game , but surely they understand the clubs position.Every year they will take 2 games away,that's why they sell a 10 game membership, most likely the 2 games that will generate the best return for the trouble

Realistically why would Perth pay top dollar to watch manly lap parramatta. Anything is only worth what someone is prepared to pay, and Perth want the best and I cant blame them. In a perfect world NO TEAM wants to give away a home ground advantage, EVER but

The annual whinge and whine fest about taking games to blue tongue, suncorp and now WA is tiresome. Its going to happen until brookvale is sold out and profitable every week. Now i know this is rough for the true blue loyal fans on this forum, many of who travel away and attend all home games, so your commitment shouldn't be questioned. But surely you understand as you look around the ground every week, looking at empty seats that its going to happen

I think Manly should amend the agreement so they can take 3 or 4 games a year away

Blue tongue is very different to Perth. I can still get to BT even if it's a pain the the arse. Not many of us can do Perth mate. I agree the club has to do what it must to generate money and we really don't have a say but I echo the point that this is the game of the year and most fans would have been at brookie for it.

I know jerry, I hear you. No doubt its disappointing. And as i live in Brisbane its easy for me to say, as it doesnt affect me as much.After he flak the club received last year about taking games to the tongue , they probably believe they may as well take it to the moon as they are going to cop it regardless.

WAMF said:
Hi Manlyfan,

Subiaco is the worst ground in Perth to hold an NRL game. I would much prefer NIB

Either way I will be there with colours on.

Question, I have Country Wings membership for 2012, Can I use my free pass for this game?

Looking forward to catching up with MWTS on my turf. haha

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7