Game Day: Manly v Knights [Round 21, 2016]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Lewis Brown
4. Brayden Wiliame
5. Matthew Wright
6. Jamie Lyon
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Darcy Lussick
9. Apisai Koroisau
10. Martin Taupau
11. Nathan Green
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Jake Trbojevic
Interchange:
Blake Leary
15. Josh Starling
16. Nate Myles
17. Siosaia Vave
22. Addin Fonua-blake

Last edited:
Big opportunity here to wipe some of that F/A deficit away, could be 24-0 by half time, trouble is we then have the second half to contend with.

I was looking at the teams above us,

Bulldogs will beat Dragons so we should go past them.

Warriors " should " beat Panthers as they are home but Penrith are going ok , 50/50 game there.

Eels at home to Tigers, but busted and playing for nothing , can't see an Eels victory here but would be good for us if there was.

If all 3 were beaten we could jump to 10th, to get to 9th we'd have to beat the Knights by about 45 which I don't think could happen.

One thing is for sure, we won't be getting a wooden spoon in 2016, one things not for sure, if we will scrape into the 8.

With 3 top teams to play we'd have to turn around our form from a winning side to a dominating winning side , and that's probably a bridge too far.

Noticed no bandages on Walkers hand during the team song last night... possibility of a late inclusion perhaps or wishful thinking.. anyone heard???

Noticed no bandages on Walkers hand during the team song last night... possibility of a late inclusion perhaps or wishful thinking.. anyone heard???
With Wright getting injured they may think it's worth the risk to come back a week early.

If you ask anyone from Newcastle , if you could only win 1 match per year : who would you Choose ?
Manly would be the answer to about 99%.
A game plan takes around 2 to 3 days to compile , so here is an abbreviated one for Newcastle.
Newcastle will try and be expansive and look for a few set plays.
* Hodkinson & Mullen (if playing)to throw inside balls to Gagai and Mamo.
* blind side play from scrum. - using ref as a block.
* Chris Adams from tap restart, look to go to left for a hit up ,step to the right and throw a long flat pass to winger right on the sideline.
* rely on line speed & enthusiasm.
1. Gagai : spiral bomb ; takes the ball late , around his knees which makes spiral bomb much harder to catch. Always a danger running left to right , good right foot step.
2. Ross luvs a mirror , so Manly fans should take them to the game , which will put him off. Big ego ,with little to offer in Defense. Left side winger who steps off left foot ,dangerous when given space.
5. Elliot .right winger : General play kicks go to his side .weak link we need to expose.
4. Peter M. Favours his left shoulder in D. so we run at his right shoulder.
7. Trent H . Snail pace , rarely takes the line on , unless 10 metres from try line . Look for chip chase back to the centre with chasers and centre field bombs. Defensive liability these days. We attack him.
12. Barnett. Left side weak defender we give him more traffic then pit street. , good ball carrier.
9. D.Levi . Probably misses more tackles per minute than any NRL player. Target his D. Greedy near try line : be ready from dummy half.
10. Saifiti. Neither move well laterally. Misses lots of tackles this way.
14. Chris Adams . At any restarts , linedrop outs , taps set plays etc .WE TARGET ADAMS DEFENSE. Gets his head in the wrong position , plus fatigues quick . dummy half scooter ; look for a trick shot down the blind and can kick a 40/20 from dummy half..
Manly MUST
Ultra fast start. HIGH INTENSITY : up tempo .
Enthusiastic & line speed.
Last tackle option : repeat sets : angle kicks in goal.
Isolate Elliot under pressure on 45* kicks : pressure.
Expose Newcastle's weak defenders as highlighted.
ADAMS : Levi : HODKINSON: Barnett : Saifiti brothers. (Mullen tackles like whipped cream ) If Cogger plays target him to : he always go around the legs : play flat at him.
Isolate Knights defenders 1 on 1, running at them at speed with early ball or set plays .
Dummy half to scoot after Jeremy Smith makes a tackle : always up last.
Combat their line speed. Pushing forward with the ball together : 2nd phase offloads :
expose weak Knights underbelly : behind the ruck.
Kick to Elliot -last tackle option :Starving Gagai of the ball.
More set plays and variations.
Knights leak points on both sides , weakest on left.
Keep ball carriers on their feet so we can drive me back with numbers : in goal or over sideline.
Tie up knights ball carrier. : Limiting Knights 2nd phase plays.
(Brief & not as technical as a normal game plan.)
Unbelievably important game : MUST WIN
GO MANLY.

With Wright getting injured they may think it's worth the risk to come back a week early.

I was thinking today would they rush him back this game ie is there thinking we win with current squad OR we must get him in as its a win at all costs type... however now that you have mentioned Wright, they might just try get him back early, surly its not that bad if he has to play through a bit of pain so be it, only fair since we have been in pain watching Brown play centre :p

If you ask anyone from Newcastle , if you could only win 1 match per year : who would you Choose ?
Manly would be the answer to about 99%.
A game plan takes around 2 to 3 days to compile , so here is an abbreviated one for Newcastle.
Newcastle will try and be expansive and look for a few set plays.
* Hodkinson & Mullen (if playing)to throw inside balls to Gagai and Mamo.
* blind side play from scrum. - using ref as a block.
* Chris Adams from tap restart, look to go to left for a hit up ,step to the right and throw a long flat pass to winger right on the sideline.
* rely on line speed & enthusiasm.
1. Gagai : spiral bomb ; takes the ball late , around his knees which makes spiral bomb much harder to catch. Always a danger running left to right , good right foot step.
2. Ross luvs a mirror , so Manly fans should take them to the game , which will put him off. Big ego ,with little to offer in Defense. Left side winger who steps off left foot ,dangerous when given space.
5. Elliot .right winger : General play kicks go to his side .weak link we need to expose.
4. Peter M. Favours his left shoulder in D. so we run at his right shoulder.
7. Trent H . Snail pace , rarely takes the line on , unless 10 metres from try line . Look for chip chase back to the centre with chasers and centre field bombs. Defensive liability these days. We attack him.
12. Barnett. Left side weak defender we give him more traffic then pit street. , good ball carrier.
9. D.Levi . Probably misses more tackles per minute than any NRL player. Target his D. Greedy near try line : be ready from dummy half.
10. Saifiti. Neither move well laterally. Misses lots of tackles this way.
14. Chris Adams . At any restarts , linedrop outs , taps set plays etc .WE TARGET ADAMS DEFENSE. Gets his head in the wrong position , plus fatigues quick . dummy half scooter ; look for a trick shot down the blind and can kick a 40/20 from dummy half..
Manly MUST
Ultra fast start. HIGH INTENSITY : up tempo .
Enthusiastic & line speed.
Last tackle option : repeat sets : angle kicks in goal.
Isolate Elliot under pressure on 45* kicks : pressure.
Expose Newcastle's weak defenders as highlighted.
ADAMS : Levi : HODKINSON: Barnett : Saifiti brothers. (Mullen tackles like whipped cream ) If Cogger plays target him to : he always go around the legs : play flat at him.
Isolate Knights defenders 1 on 1, running at them at speed with early ball or set plays .
Dummy half to scoot after Jeremy Smith makes a tackle : always up last.
Combat their line speed. Pushing forward with the ball together : 2nd phase offloads :
expose weak Knights underbelly : behind the ruck.
Kick to Elliot -last tackle option :Starving Gagai of the ball.
More set plays and variations.
Knights leak points on both sides , weakest on left.
Keep ball carriers on their feet so we can drive me back with numbers : in goal or over sideline.
Tie up knights ball carrier. : Limiting Knights 2nd phase plays.
(Brief & not as technical as a normal game plan.)
Unbelievably important game : MUST WIN
GO MANLY.

Thanks for that Trent

Mullen is out for 1-2 weeks with another hamstring injury, so no chance to be back for this. I know they are improving, but seriously their line up is the worst we have seen in the NRL for some time, we put on a poor display for Golden Eagles day last year so they should be fired up to make amends this year.

Interesting one for those that can't make the game, with Fox Sports 'Retro Round' former commentator Graeme Hughes will be calling the action, should be a blast from the past.

I hate the term, "kidnapping". I much prefer, "surprise adoption".

We have a perfect opportunity to, "surprise adopt" Jake Mamo this week. I reckon it's worth a go! After an intensive off season, and Stockholm syndrome has set in....he could be very good for us next year.

It's always good to think outside the box people! Think of the coin we'd save!!

Don't judge me. It was all the Mrs idea! @:worried:

I hate the term, "kidnapping". I much prefer, "surprise adoption".

We have a perfect opportunity to, "surprise adopt" Jake Mamo this week. I reckon it's worth a go! After an intensive off season, and Stockholm syndrome has set in....he could be very good for us next year.

It's always good to think outside the box people! Think of the coin we'd save!!

Don't judge me. It was all the Mrs idea! @:worried:
Get Mrs Moz to jump him in the car park and miss the game - Win, Win ;)

Big opportunity here to wipe some of that F/A deficit away, could be 24-0 by half time, trouble is we then have the second half to contend with.

I was looking at the teams above us,

Bulldogs will beat Dragons so we should go past them.

Warriors " should " beat Panthers as they are home but Penrith are going ok , 50/50 game there.

Eels at home to Tigers, but busted and playing for nothing , can't see an Eels victory here but would be good for us if there was.

If all 3 were beaten we could jump to 10th, to get to 9th we'd have to beat the Knights by about 45 which I don't think could happen.

One thing is for sure, we won't be getting a wooden spoon in 2016, one things not for sure, if we will scrape into the 8.

With 3 top teams to play we'd have to turn around our form from a winning side to a dominating winning side , and that's probably a bridge too far.
Sadly I think the current Top 8 will be the same as the end of the year.

Mullen out.Levi out for year from last week and backup hooker injured as well.They are ripe for the plucking.

This will be about the 3rd game in a row where our team will be about 85% unchanged. Combinations are starting to form.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2